Author Topic: 10 weeks old and not eating  (Read 927 times)

Offline Alice10101

10 weeks old and not eating
« on: September 24, 2012, 12:36:56 PM »
I've had my puppy for nearly a week and for the first couple of days we was eating properly, emptying his bowl etc.
We have been gradually changing his food (dry) over a little bit at a time and for the last few days he's only taking a few pieces and not touching the rest.
I have tried giving a combination - sometimes wet sometimes dry, but hes not interested.
I don't know what to do, he doesn't seem to be ill, he still plays as normal and sleeps properly.
I don't think that he doesn't like the new food or wouldn't he just pick out the bits he likes?
Any help would be much appreciated as I'm worried bout my little pup!

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
Re: 10 weeks old and not eating
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 12:45:07 PM »
Whiich food was he on and what are you changing it to? I just trying to understand why your changing it.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 12:46:29 PM »
He would just pick out the bits he'd like.
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 03:01:58 PM »
Do you mean you are changing his brand of food or just not putting water in the kibble now?  :-\

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline Alice10101

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 04:45:48 PM »
We're changing the brand from Beta which is what the breeder gave us to Autarky puppy which someone recommended to us. Since we got him we have been giving some meals of dry kibble and some meals where we've softened it with water as this is what the breeder was doing.
 :-\

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 05:10:17 PM »
One of my puppies was a 'beta' puppy, and like you we changed her over to a better quality food, but I have to admit, she did choose the Beta in preference to the new one, until the 'change' was complete  :shades:
 I know it's best not to chop and change as you run the risk of  creating a fussy eater, but Naturediet complete wet food always seems to get a big thumbs up  :D

Offline dottysmum

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 07:28:39 PM »
Changing the food after just a week in his new home is perhaps a little much for him, Beta might not be the greatest food but he has managed on it this far so another couple of weeks can't hurt, just until he has settled in properly, good luck with him :-)

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 07:50:31 PM »
One of my puppies was a 'beta' puppy, and like you we changed her over to a better quality food, but I have to admit, she did choose the Beta in preference to the new one, until the 'change' was complete  :shades:
 I know it's best not to chop and change as you run the risk of  creating a fussy eater, but Naturediet complete wet food always seems to get a big thumbs up  :D

You could always try mixing in a little wet food with his kibble  :-\
Butchers Tripe is a favourite of mine too  :shades:

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline Alice10101

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 09:05:13 PM »
Thanks so much everyone, he seemed a bit keener with his dinner tonight but i think i'll try mixing in some wet food if he doesn't improve!

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 09:45:17 PM »
Wainwrights wet food is another excellent quality food and many dogs love it, eithr on its own or mixed with kibble. Archie was a fusspot and it was the only thing he would eat as a pup. It is available at Pets at Home.

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 10:45:15 AM »
Teal was on Skinners puppy when we brought her home but was not keen on it, a small handfull would last her 3 or 4 hours she ate it because she was very hungry.

We switched to Naturediet complete wet and the difference was incredible within 3 days the mention of the word dinner caused great excitement with somersaults and circles before running to the kitchen.

I have had dogs in the past that were happy to eat kibble but all of them were far more excited when they had wet food.

Please don't think I am knocking those that feed Kibble when I had 4 dogs in the house they had kibble as I could not afford to feed them all wet and they all thrived on kibble, but now there is only one dog the extra cost is worth the joy of watching Teal really enjoy her food so much.

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly