Author Topic: Found Excellent Breeder but now unsure ???? Help !!  (Read 4079 times)

Offline NatalieEbony

Found Excellent Breeder but now unsure ???? Help !!
« on: September 27, 2012, 03:38:20 PM »
Hello, I'm a newbie so please forgive me I need some advise!!

We have been looking for the right breeder for a few months now and have found a lovely lady not too far away from where we live.  The pups are all KC reg tested, micro chipped etc. the full package and our puppy is waiting to be born early October. 

We have built up a lovely rapport with this breeder so feel comfortable with purchasing a dog/bitch from her.

My dilemma?  A few people have sounded horrified that we are even considering a Cocker Spaniel (Show Type) as they are 'loopy dogs' and are very attention seeking and destructive which has totally thrown me sideways.  Surely if you invest your time with the pup this shouldn’t happen?  I know that they are a lively breed.

I have had in the past Cavalier King Charles Spaniels which are lovely dogs in their own right but now with a family of my own and three children decided that the Cocker would be a better dog as a little bit bigger but no too big.

Offline karen488

Re: Found Excellent Breeder but now unsure ???? Help !!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 03:45:29 PM »
I don't think any of us on here will understand where they are coming from. Have they ever owned a cocker would be my first question. Amazing how many dog "experts" there are out there  :huh: . Would ignore. Cocker spaniels are fab. I just don't understand why anyone would ever buy anything else!

Offline KathyS

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 03:56:16 PM »
I has those kind of comments before we got our pup as well. I think some people confuse show cockers with working cockers or with springer spaniels, both of which can (note I said CAN) be livelier. And some people just always have to have something negative to come back with, whether justified or not! Our show cocker is now nearly 16 weeks and though is a pup so has lots of life and bounce/chewiness at times, at others he's already very calm and happy just to be, and be with us. I can see already that he's going to be a super dog, lively enough to be fun but not hyper!

Offline Petepreston

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 03:58:32 PM »
You know everybody here is going to be a bit biased, right?   ;)

We spent weeks looking into breeds before settling on a Working Cocker. We also researched Cockers in general.

We meet lots of Cockers of all varieties on our our walks and travels and we've yet to meet one whose owners think they've made a bad decision.

Every dog is individual and the breed may have a slightly higher instance of some of the behaviours you mention, but I'd be surprised if you could expect any of that behaviour if you use good training.

Put it another way: we are thinking about adding another dog to our pack, and were giving very serious thought to finding a Show Cocker.

Good luck.

Offline Megatron

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 04:04:40 PM »
Don't listen to the doubters. The best thing I ever did was to get Meg.(and she's one of those crazy workers!)
IMHO cockers make the perfect family pet.

Offline JohnK

• Donator
  • Produced for Minnie, Dennis and Rosie
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 04:12:42 PM »
All I can say is they must have been very unlucky!!

I'm on my 6th & 7th Spaniel (6 cockers 1 springer) and after my first one, Cassie, I was hooked and would never have anything else. I was brought up with Labradors, which are great dogs, but you cannot beat a cocker

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 04:13:26 PM »
Ask any one of us if we could turn the clock , would we go for another breed of dog? see who says yes.
We have only had Riley for 5months and he has enriched our lives so much. We laugh so much more, We are totally smitten , all three of us with him.
He is the most gentle loving dog I could ever have.
He is excitable round dogs at times and loves attention from anyone he meets. He is much more laid back at home than I thought he ever would be.
He has 2-3 walks per day and its enough for him , he is such a happy dog.

These people probably never have had a cocker in their lives.
Yes maybe a bit more energetic than a KC but you get so much more back from their happy, positive, enthusuastic little hearts.  :luv:
IRiley is a show cocker who needs less excercise than a worker , he is happy to just plod around at times at home , happy that he is with us.

Offline carras

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 04:29:13 PM »
We are looking for a pup at the moment and I have done lots of research into the bread, stopped to talk to cocker owners both show and working and also visited a friend to talk about their cocker and experience and ask for tips. Every cocker owner I have spoken to all have lots of positive comments and all love their dogs dearly.  I like you have had negative comments from people some are dog owners (not cocker owners) who have said 'are you sure you want a dog', they won't replace dog etc when they are gone.  I  have 2 nephews who both own dogs 1 is a labradour which is adorable and very soft and loving and the other owns a jack russell/Poodle which is only a year old but totally bonkers but my girls adore him and they take him to puppy training which he is doing really well at.  You have to do what is right for you and your family and ignore peoples negative comments.  I even wrote up a list with PROS and CONS of owning a dog and still feel very positive about finding our pup.  :lol2:

Offline Ali101

• Isla
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 04:29:33 PM »
We have always had labs, my parents have always had working cockers, and we now find ourselves the very proud owner of a gorgeous working cocker girl and we are totally smitten  :luv: :luv:
I still love my labs, but the cocker is an excellent choice, they are the perfect size and in my experience loving, loyal and intelligent dogs and I am so glad that when we decided to get another dog we got Isla and not another lab.
Yes, spaniel's have a real sense of adventure  ;)....particularly the workers (but some of the show girls and boys can also go like the clappers so not exclusively workers that are highly driven) but are a joy to own. There is never a dull moment when we are out on a walk   :005: My girl is very lively in the fields etc, but once home is a gentle girl who loves cuddles and a lie down.
I think ALL dogs need lots of love and attention, and ALL breeds of dog have their pro's and con's, but it is in the main in the hands of the owner how their dog turns out.
Cockers are great  :luv:
Ali, Penny and Isla xxx
Ali, Penny and Isla x

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 04:54:04 PM »
Not having either of mine from pups I can't comment on whether they are any different to any other breed at puppy stage, although when I read the puppy part of the forum I'm glad I went for slightly older dogs  :005:

I too always thought spaniels were a bit mad & still laugh when mine are flat out snoring their heads off or dozing by the car at an agility show & think "oh yes, they are really hyper  :005:"

Friends have a cav KC & it is much more loopy than my two cockers.

They are a fun, happy breed, one of mine more than the other thinks everything is exciting & wants to do everything at 100mph, but he is so much fun & after a meal or a walk happily dozes, but like alot of cockers will follow us from room to room

Have a look on the COL meet-up board, there may be some walks arranged near you then you can join in & see a group of cockers in action.

Naturally we are all biased on this forum   ;)
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline oreo

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 04:58:30 PM »
I know exactly were your coming from, one of my first posts on here was very similar. Everyone tutted or rolled their eyes when I said we'd found a cocker spaniel pup our first family pet. (working) We did a lot of reading up on the breed and thought we very well prepared for the adventure Oreo would bring, and I got quite angry with all the comments. Oreos been at home with us for just over 2 months and she is well and truly a member of the family, yes theres lot of moments when you think your getting nowhere and could happily cry, but the rewards far outway those times. Please don't let these people put you off like they nearly did me, it will be one of the best decisions you will make.  ;)

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 05:05:36 PM »
Hi

I lost my second cocker two years ago.  We were so upset, it took us eight months before we thought about getting another dog, as the house was so empty without one.  

As I am not getting any younger  :005:  I seriously thought about getting something smaller, with a less excitable character and less coat to groom.  I thought about getting a Cavalier King Charles but soon realised if we were getting another dog, it would HAVE to be a cocker.  I love them too much to have any other breed.

Not only are they beautiful to look at, they are so loving.  Yes, they have their loony moments but Toby makes me laugh every day by some of his antics.

One thing I will say, though, is if you do decide to go ahead and join the ranks of cocker ownership, cocker puppies can be very bitey / chewy.  This is all part of teething, playing and growing up and perfectly normal.  There are ways of helping you through this.  Some owners, (especially those with young children) come on here pulling their hair out but with the help, guidance and support available on here, they get through it.  Toby drove me bonkers with his biting (he loved to bite my toes and hang off the bottom of my trousers)  but now, all that seems ages ago and I now have a gorgeous dog who I am very proud of.

Let us know if you decide to go ahead and get a gorgeous pup.  (Hope you do).   :luv:

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline Ruby Tuesday

• My little Jem
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 05:08:42 PM »
Yes, our Jem (9 months) is crazy at times. Would I change her for the world? Nope!

Of the 3 dogs we've had, she is the most willful and can be a lunatic. She is also loving, hilarious and clever. She has done her fair share of chewing things but this is stopping now. Any pup could do the same.

I can't tell you how much I love my crazy little bundle.

I'd say go for it! And prepare to fall head over heels in  :luv:

(welcome, by the way!)
Julie, Ruby and Jem. And never forgetting our first precious dog, Cassie x

Offline redlottie

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 05:15:03 PM »
I have 2 lunatics and wouldn't change them for the World.  I have friends with dogs of other breeds or are realy laid back and pretty boring.  My 2 bring a challenge with fun, laughter and tears every single day which works for us and I could never imagine having a different breed.

Offline karendorman13

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 05:32:53 PM »
It's like that for every pup I've had. I have had Kol now for 7 weeks and yes there are days when I feel someone has fed him blue smarties but the positives out way the negatives and when the pup looks at you with those big eyes and smothers you in little cocker kisses its all worth the blue smarty moments