Author Topic: Found Excellent Breeder but now unsure ???? Help !!  (Read 4076 times)

Offline Ruby Tuesday

• My little Jem
Re: Found Excellent Breeder but now unsure ???? Help !!
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2012, 05:46:43 PM »
It's like that for every pup I've had. I have had Kol now for 7 weeks and yes there are days when I feel someone has fed him blue smarties but the positives out way the negatives and when the pup looks at you with those big eyes and smothers you in little cocker kisses its all worth the blue smarty moments

Beautifully put!
Julie, Ruby and Jem. And never forgetting our first precious dog, Cassie x

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2012, 05:52:47 PM »
Haven't got much to add, as I agree with everything everyone else has said.  We had 2 retrievers before we got our cocker, and I thought I'd never have another breed, but we decided we wanted a smaller dog.  Ozzy is only 20 weeks, and has given us huge joy and enormous pain already, but I wouldn't change my bitey, chewy, crazy hooligan for anything!!!

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2012, 05:53:15 PM »
It's like that for every pup I've had. I have had Kol now for 7 weeks and yes there are days when I feel someone has fed him blue smarties but the positives out way the negatives and when the pup looks at you with those big eyes and smothers you in little cocker kisses its all worth the blue smarty moments

Beautifully put!

Yes, sums it up beautifully.

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline Sula

• Raisin
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2012, 05:57:10 PM »
Raisin is our second dog and first cocker, but I did some serious research and decided that a cocker was the right dog for us. I must have been lucky too as before getting him and since then all we have had  are positive comments from others with cockers or had them s kids and get all dewy eyed thinking about them   :luv:

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2012, 06:27:18 PM »
Just chatting to a neighbour who has a 3 year-old black show-type cocker and is pregnant with her second child. She said "Monty will always be my number one" (she got the dog before her first child) - so if she puts her cocker before her baby in terms of love I think you can safely say cockers are wonderful!!

We've had three show-type blue roans in the family before and I've just got my first - I wouldn't even consider another dog. They are the most adorable, affectionate, beautiful little creatures - a perfect size for everything, pretty bright, and just lovely. The coats need some work, and they can be manic as puppies, but I think all puppies are. Mine's not that manic, and is settling down even at 4.5 months.

These people that say cockers are mad must have heard of some with a bad experience (which you can get with any breed), but I'm sure all of our testimonies of their loveliness should be proof to the contrary!! Go for it!

Offline JulieM

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2012, 06:33:36 PM »
I agree with the others. Florence is our first cocker and just before we got her two friends said we were mad as they're lunatic dogs. When we quizzed them more they didn't really get the difference between working cockers/ springers/ show cockers etc. so dismissed their thoughts as uninformed.

In the first few months Florence was proper bonkers, but now she's a predominately lazy pooch who has crazy 5 minutes when she's excited. I think sometimes people think they're mad as they're so friendly and get so excited around them that they think that's what they're like 24/7.

We have a young family and Florence is an absolute joy to have around. They really are super little dogs with bags of character and are lots and lots of fun.

It sounds like you've done your homework so I really wouldn't let other people burst your bubble. OH and I have had a wry smile over the last 18 months as the 2 friends who warned against a cocker are now 2 of Florence's biggest fans and can't get enough cocker love from her when they visit.  :005:

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2012, 07:15:51 PM »
In some ways I agree with 'loopy dogs' and 'attention seeking' , but it could just as easily be described as 'lively and enthusiastic' and 'affectionate', I guess it all depends on your perspective  :005:
Either way, I love them  :luv:

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2012, 07:32:25 PM »
We are owned by 4 cocker spaniels & absolutely love them to bits  :luv:
They all have such different personalities despite being the same breed  :shades:

Despite saying this, i have recently had the pleasure of getting to know a Cavalier King Charles (one of my sister's has just taken in a 4yr old rescue)  :luv:
I am totally smitten with him  :luv:  the difference in his behaviour is huge compared to cockers  :o  i would say he is the easiest, laid back dog i have ever met  :o  :luv:

Personally, i will always love the cockers above any other breed but thought it might be helpful to point out there is a huge difference & without a doubt cockers are livelier & needier
in every way compared to the CKS.  :shades:

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline Holly2009

• Inactive
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2012, 07:47:53 PM »
People who have never owned a cocker don't know what their missing!  :shades:  :D

Offline Happygal

• Wispa now 2 years old
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2012, 08:29:44 PM »
our Wispa (show type)  is such a sweetheart, she is our first cocker and like a lot on here we would definately stay with this breed. She is such a loving dog, she will happily lay at or on my feet all day rather than go out, if I let her, which I dont, she will have her five mins mad dashing around the caravan/garden, loves going swimming, travelling with us, visiting family etc etc. The list is endless of all the positive things about her. I can't honestly say there is anything negative. She senses my feelings, gives me cuddles when I ask her to, fetches my slippers/shoes and hatches them when she can. She is such a joy to be with.
You will be hard pushed to find such a great breed. Good luck with your search and if you have found a good breeder then you have started in the right place :D

Offline maddy74

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2012, 09:23:25 PM »
In my opinion, "cockers rule"  :005:

Willow is our first dog for me and the OH together and we we did a lot of research into the breed and decided on a working strain cocker. Weve had our mad moments along the way for sure but she is the cutest, most loyal and loving little dog and we love her so much  :luv: She makes us smile with her little ways and even friends we have that arnt 'doggy people' love her too. She is lively when we are out walking and could walk all day but now no longer a puppy she will sleep a lot too when we are home, she had adapted well to our routine, she is just FAB  :D

I think if you get a cocker you cant go far wrong  ;)

Offline Poppypuppy09

• Donator
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2012, 09:38:31 PM »
In some ways I agree with 'loopy dogs' and 'attention seeking' , but it could just as easily be described as 'lively and enthusiastic' and 'affectionate', I guess it all depends on your perspective  :005:
Either way, I love them  :luv:

I couldn't have put it any better  :D I love the fact that they are lively and also Velcro dogs who love being with people. I don't have any kids but am always saying to my OH that Poppy my 3yr old blue roan should be with a family as she adores kids and would play all day if she could....they are dogs with big personalities and little bodies  :luv:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2012, 09:39:28 PM »
Please don't let these 'knowledgeable' people put you off Cockers. Before I got Smudge you wouldn't believe the rubbish I was told, always have ear probs,eye probs, loopy, need special food etc. etc. Well it is his 6th birthday soon and I am so glad I did not listen to all those doubters.

I am not saying Cockers are the only breed to consider (sorry fellow COL'rs  ph34r ), I've had a Border Collie, a sheltie cross and other breeds too, and loved them just as much in their time.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline angie68

• connie
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2012, 10:41:26 PM »
Whats wrong with loopy and attention seeking  ;)  I think my Connie is spirited, loopy and attention seeking at times (but what's she supposed to do when it's time to play and i'm not listening of course she needs to run off with shoes/phones/remote controls etc). She is so funny and entertaining that i wouldn't want a dog who wasn't like this.
Also remember it's also not all the time, she is a show cocker and has moments of madness, but also chills & relaxes and that's what we love about her  :D
Angie x
Angie & Connie

Offline Sara750S

• Toby
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2012, 11:02:37 PM »
When we first said about getting a cocker spaniel, the usual reaction was "they are mad arent they"?

They are gorgeous, loving and yes sometimes mad but that's why we all love them!

Go with your heart and what you want.