Author Topic: Found Excellent Breeder but now unsure ???? Help !!  (Read 4078 times)

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
Re: Found Excellent Breeder but now unsure ???? Help !!
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2012, 11:28:25 PM »
We have had 5 cockers in total...... and I just can't imagine having any other breed.

YES....they need attention....they love to be with you.

YES....they are active....and the bonus is that they keep you active too.

They are wonderfully loyal, loving companions....

Forget negative comments from people who have never owned a cocker...... They are great dogs. Xxx
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline jonnytrabant

« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2012, 07:51:01 AM »
Hello, I'm a newbie so please forgive me I need some advise!!

We have been looking for the right breeder for a few months now and have found a lovely lady not too far away from where we live.  The pups are all KC reg tested, micro chipped etc. the full package and our puppy is waiting to be born early October. 

We have built up a lovely rapport with this breeder so feel comfortable with purchasing a dog/bitch from her.

My dilemma?  A few people have sounded horrified that we are even considering a Cocker Spaniel (Show Type) as they are 'loopy dogs' and are very attention seeking and destructive which has totally thrown me sideways.  Surely if you invest your time with the pup this shouldn’t happen?  I know that they are a lively breed.

I have had in the past Cavalier King Charles Spaniels which are lovely dogs in their own right but now with a family of my own and three children decided that the Cocker would be a better dog as a little bit bigger but no too big.

Yeah your dead right, why don't you get a Pug and pop it in your hand bag. In fact why don't you get a tortoise? They hibernate for half the year then take three weeks to get from one side of the garden to the other and they certainly aren't destructive, except maybe to the odd lettuce.

I wish I had listened to 'a few people'  :rofl1:

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2012, 08:09:42 AM »
We have had 5 cockers in total...... and I just can't imagine having any other breed.

YES....they need attention....they love to be with you.

YES....they are active....and the bonus is that they keep you active too.

They are wonderfully loyal, loving companions....

Forget negative comments from people who have never owned a cocker...... They are great dogs. Xxx
Same here , i have had 5 too and i have three now , and would never have any other type of dog even though they love to get wet and muddy and sometimes have deaf moments  :005: :005:
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2012, 09:48:06 AM »
I have been involved with gun dogs for over 35 years and all of the working breeds show pretty much the same puppy behaviour as cockers.
These dogs are all originally bred for intelligence and stamina and need lots of attention when they are pups
One of the worst behaved pups I knew was a show bred lab who has turned into a fantastic dog at 18 months one of the easiest pups I have ever had was a show bred cocker who turned out to be a cracking worker.

My current pup  Teal at 13 weeks is way up at the top when it comes to norty dogs, both sides of her pedigree are 95% FTCH going back 7 generations she is into everything, needing attention when ever she is awake but I know this is because she is one very smart and very fit puppy.
I am either laughing at her or pulling my hair out but I would not change her for the world, I know she will turn out to be a fantastic gundog as long as I do my bit.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2012, 12:18:37 PM »
Cockers aren't a dog you can just get and put to the side; they become a member of the family and they are there with you, behind you, under you, in front of you, on top of you...but they are so lovely and clever. Charlie is so affectionate as well.

My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2012, 12:29:26 PM »
Cockers are with you for the rest of their lives - preferably only a couple of inches away! :005: :005:

Jinley is my first cocker (show type) my daughter has working cocker and a springer (they are worked and very active).  Previously had retrievers and red setters.

Never before have I had a dog that becomes a member of the family like Jinley has.  She will lie in bed all day if I want to, or enjoy a walk either on our own or with other dogs.

She is now curled up asleep by my feet.

Would I turn the clock back 12 months before I had her?  Not in a million years

Pat x

Offline niqnet

• Site Member
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2012, 02:00:38 PM »
Cockers are with you for the rest of their lives - preferably only a couple of inches away! :005: :005:

Jinley is my first cocker (show type) my daughter has working cocker and a springer (they are worked and very active).  Previously had retrievers and red setters.

Never before have I had a dog that becomes a member of the family like Jinley has.  She will lie in bed all day if I want to, or enjoy a walk either on our own or with other dogs.

She is now curled up asleep by my feet.

Pat x

This is so true!!
Nicole xxxx :-)

Offline secretagentmole

« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2012, 02:13:35 PM »
All puppies can be loony and destructive, what you have to do is reward behaviour you like and divert attention you do not like. If your puppy likes chewing things to destruction then rope pull toys and chews are very good, as are bones. It works. Bones taste nice than furniture you know. The Cocker is an intelligent breed and will soon have you trained to it's satisfaction.

But as it is training you remember that the beast needs things to challenge it, so putting a meal in a treat ball (dry kibbles) is one way to challenge your dog, unfortunately you can get sent into the next country as a high speed left wing player shoots the entire length of the property sending kibbles out like rifle bullets before connecting with you!

We are now three weeks into owning Lord Bertie Lissie, who has come in, turned the world upside down (along with the Labrador) and screams on regardless! He is an eccentric, loveable character with a permanent "What ME?" expression on his face. He has figured out how to get very toy in the room and gather them before handing them back to the other dogs, he also has a way of trying to look the picture of innocence as he is tap dancing on your head when the alarm or Bertie, goes off...

Offline jonnytrabant

« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2012, 07:45:48 AM »
Could OP be a wind up? They haven't replied to any replies. Just wondering that's all

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2012, 12:14:40 PM »
Could OP be a wind up? They haven't replied to any replies. Just wondering that's all

Possible I suppose, but what would be the point?

Offline Dozy bird

• My beautiful babies
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2012, 01:08:30 PM »

Pat x

I couldn't say it better myself Pat.
Roxy is our first dog too and I can't imagine our lives without her, there were days that were hard work because I forgot she was still only a baby and did naughty things, but these have been far outweighed by the love and laughter she has brought into the house.

When I told some one we had a cocker puppy they said I must be mad, but funnily enough her dog is far harder work than mine  :P  from the stories she tells me!!

Offline pam1

• Donator
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2012, 01:57:59 PM »

Possible I suppose, but what would be the point?

I doesn't matter anyway - I have loved reading this thread   ;)
Cockers are just the best dogs in the world as far as I'm concerned!!   :luv:
Pam, Oliver and Bertie

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2012, 04:05:14 PM »

Maybe she/he is just busy at the moment, or not able to get on line. No idea really  ;)
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2012, 05:13:34 PM »

The OP hasn't logged on since Friday - doesn't mean at all that this is a wind up, some people may be busy at the weekends or may only log on when at work etc Unfortunately she wouldn't be the first person to have negative comments made to them about their choice of breed - I'm sure I remember similar threads in the past (Chezer I think was one?) Hopefully this thread will reassure her anyway :D
Jane

Offline Honormum

« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2012, 05:32:51 PM »
We've had people say we're mad for getting a cocker...but then, people said we were mad to have a choccie lab..and a Springer spaniel...chickens...cats...children...a new kitchen... :005:

There will always be people who criticise other people's choices. In my experience, in nearly all cases, it's  only because it's not what THEY would choose.

So what? They don't have to like it or live with it - and the world would be very dull if we were all the same.

Ask yourself how you'd react if the same people said, "don't get married/buy a house/have boys" - it's the same thing. :D