Author Topic: Warning! Puppy Hygiene Pads  (Read 760 times)

Offline jemimabear

• Marley xx
Warning! Puppy Hygiene Pads
« on: October 04, 2012, 08:30:12 PM »
Just wanted to share a quick warning. I came home from work to find that Marley had chewed his puppy pad (they have the same absorb anti filling as nappies.)

Marley looked like he was about to give birth to an elephant; his stomach was hard and bloated, he looked ready to explode. To add to this, he was very thirsty. The more he drank the more he ballooned. After a quick trip to the vets we discovered it hadn't caused an obstruction and had to wait for a couple of days for it to pass.

Gemma and Marley xx

Offline Bibby

Re: Warning! Puppy Hygiene Pads
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 08:46:34 PM »
A very valid warning, I had a similar situation with Poppy. She never weed on them just ate them, had to give up with them as soon as we started and go back to good old newspaper. It obviously doesn't taste as nice to a cocker! ;)
Owned by Poppy and Willow

Offline maddy74

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 11:35:07 PM »
I purchased some when we got Willow but all she wanted to do was chew them,so after putting the first one down i didnt bother with a second as I was worried about her choking on the plastic. We then just trained her to go outside  :005:

Poor Marley hope he is feeling better soon, how is he now in terms of his other condition?

Offline jemimabear

• Marley xx
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 05:42:47 PM »
Marley's doing well thanks, we're still trying to find what works best for him and trying different drugs. Unfortunately, most seem to make him sick, more than before the diagnosis, but some protect from ulcerated oesophagus so we just have to roll with it. Luckily he is taking it all in his stride and nothing seems to knock him down. He is a healthy weight, lively and happy so can't complain, although it is very hard work! Thanks for asking x
Gemma and Marley xx

Offline maddy74

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 08:37:04 PM »
Sorry to hear the meds are making him sick  :'( Hope they find meds that suit him soon.

Glad he is doing well in himself, give him a big hug from us  ;)

Offline polarbear

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 10:21:53 PM »
Thanks for the warning.  I've seen Cooper chewing his once so I think I'll dispense with them now.

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 10:52:17 PM »
Never used them for pups, just for whelping.

Offline Dozy bird

• My beautiful babies
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 08:25:56 AM »
I had the same thing wih Roxy, I came home to find she chewed one up and some of the filling had gone in her water bowl, I could see how much it expanded and was in a panic in case she eaten some, so we went back to good old news paper.
Glad it's now caused him any major problem and I hope you mange to sort out his meds soon x

Offline Black Beauty & Silverfox

• Miya
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 05:27:46 PM »

Ooh thank goodness for outside training ;)

Mel.

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 05:37:16 PM »
Just discovered this too.  Gracie was great with them at first....but now she just wants to rip them up.  I have been using newspaper, which she doesn't seem in the slightest bit interested in.......and of course taking her outside after sleep, play, etc.

Hope you little one recovers soon.  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 06:20:12 PM »
Just discovered this too.  Gracie was great with them at first....but now she just wants to rip them up.  I have been using newspaper, which she doesn't seem in the slightest bit interested in.......and of course taking her outside after sleep, play, etc.

Hope you little one recovers soon.  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

I never used them, newspaper is cheaper!  Funnily enough Ozzy never bothers with the newspaper I still put down in his pen at night (even though he's been clean and dry for weeks), but put one on the floor anywhere else and he's there in a nanosecond, ripping and chewing! >:D