Author Topic: Would this count as on lead walking?  (Read 692 times)

Offline lollie

Would this count as on lead walking?
« on: October 09, 2012, 02:22:50 PM »
So, the general rule of 5 minutes per month of age for on lead walking, is what I have been trying to stick to. But, Toby very rarely wanders far from my feet (except to chase a ball), and stays so close, so even though he is off the lead, he may as well be on it.  With him staying so close, should I stick to just 15 minutes walking in total, rather than 15 minutes on lead then walking for a bit?

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
Re: Would this count as on lead walking?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 03:58:25 PM »
So, the general rule of 5 minutes per month of age for on lead walking, is what I have been trying to stick to. But, Toby very rarely wanders far from my feet (except to chase a ball), and stays so close, so even though he is off the lead, he may as well be on it.  With him staying so close, should I stick to just 15 minutes walking in total, rather than 15 minutes on lead then walking for a bit?

If he's walking 'to heel' off the lead as if he was on it, and at the same pace for the whole of the 15 minutes then I'd stop at that, but if he's wandering around by your feet, stopping and starting then you'd probably be ok to stretch it out a bit longer.  It's not a hard and fast rule, just a guide, a few minutes either way isn't going to hurt, it's just so you don't over-exercise a young pup, as they will go on for far longer than is good for young bones.  3 short 15-20 min walks is better for their bones and joints than 1 walk lasting an hour.

Offline Pip895

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 04:42:02 PM »
Not sure where this idea that off lead doesn't count has come from? :-\

I think a pup dashing about through the undergrowth jumping over obstacles etc. would be more at risk of damage than one on lead.

Having said that I think the rule should only be a guide and occasional longer walks shouldn't cause an issue. 

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 04:58:18 PM »

I think a pup dashing about through the undergrowth jumping over obstacles etc. would be more at risk of damage than one on lead.

Having said that I think the rule should only be a guide and occasional longer walks shouldn't cause an issue. 

I quite agree, it all depends on the type of off-lead activity, but just sniffing around the park is a bit different to dashing through the undergrowth and jumping over obstacles!  I don't think the OP was talking about that sort of activity.  I was told by the vet that they could be off-lead longer because, like playing all day in the garden, they can run and stop when they want to.  Obviously, any vigorous activity should be included in the 5 minutes per month of age guideline. That's how I understand it anyway, I'm quite happy to be corrected if I'm wrong  ph34r

Offline lollie

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 05:22:28 PM »

Sorry, I didn't mean for it to sound like I meant it doesn't count. The rule, as I understood it, was 15 minutes on lead, PLUS playing and running around like he would in the garden. Our usual walk, is 5 minutes on lead, then about 15/20 minutes around the field, walking off lead, with him running around my feet, sniffing, and the occasional throw of his ball. Does this sound too much? He is 15 weeks.

Occasionally, after he has had enough of playing, sometimes after just a few throws of his ball, he just wants to walk by my feet. This is where I was unsure if this should be counted as the same as being on lead.

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 05:37:09 PM »

Sorry, I didn't mean for it to sound like I meant it doesn't count. The rule, as I understood it, was 15 minutes on lead, PLUS playing and running around like he would in the garden. Our usual walk, is 5 minutes on lead, then about 15/20 minutes around the field, walking off lead, with him running around my feet, sniffing, and the occasional throw of his ball. Does this sound too much? He is 15 weeks.

Occasionally, after he has had enough of playing, sometimes after just a few throws of his ball, he just wants to walk by my feet. This is where I was unsure if this should be counted as the same as being on lead.

It sounds fine to me as long as he isn't dashing around like a mad thing the whole of the time he's off the lead.  As we say, it's a guideline, not a 'rule', so I wouldn't worry, lollie.

Offline lollie

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 05:54:13 PM »
Thanks piph x

I know I keep calling it a rule, but I do understand its a guide.  :005:

I just didn't want to be walking him too far for his age.

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 06:07:19 PM »
Thanks piph x

I know I keep calling it a rule, but I do understand its a guide.  :005:

I just didn't want to be walking him too far for his age.

Don't take what I say as gospel, it's just my opinion.   ph34r  If someone else comes on and says they think it's too much, you'd probably be wise to take their advice!  :005: