Author Topic: Update on Puppy Development at 24 weeks  (Read 1350 times)

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
Re: Update on Puppy Development at 24 weeks
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2012, 03:38:38 PM »
No, judges wouldn't necessarily know if a bitch was spayed or not, but then it's an ethical question if someone shows a spayed bich under false pretences. (you can also have prosthetic testicles implanted...)

However,  there are also companion dog shows if you just want to show for the fun and a rosette. So everyone is catered for - those who want their lines/ stick evaluated for future improvement of their breed as well as those who just want a fun day out  :D

So would you say that most people who show their dogs seriously are either breeders or stud dog owners?  And why on earth would you have a dog castrated and then have prosthetic testicles implanted, unless you wanted to show the dog under false pretences? :huh:  Sorry, Sophie, to highjack your thread, but I'm just really interested in this subject, and what motivates people to want to show their dogs.  In fact I'm going to start a new thread about this subject.

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2012, 04:33:25 PM »
I remember watching an Embarrassing Illness show about animals, and there were a couple of dogs with major sexual appetite/behaviour issues (one used to masturbate and the other used to hump the cat all the time) - each of these dogs was entire and then castrated after the advice of the vets on the show and the behaviours in question stopped. The owners didn't want to get their dogs done in the first place because they thought it would "make them less of a dog". One was also worried about the op as he'd had a previous dog (with testicular cancer) who didn't make it through an op, which would make one nervous. My point is, is that lots of owners want to keep their dogs whole to keep them macho. Presumably this isn't really the case with cocker owners, as they're not exactly the most macho of dogs! Maybe those people would be the kind of people who'd get implants for their dogs.

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2012, 04:41:11 PM »
Sophie, apologies for joining in with hijacking your thread. Had originally been reading it all as very interesting update on your pup's development!  Hope you'll post another one in a few months. One forgets all the stages they go through. As owner of two 'mature' cockers it's good to have a recap so I have a reminder about what to expect should a new puppy arrive...
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2012, 04:57:53 PM »
(yes there's evidence that there aren't health benefits, but there are plenty of statistics "proving" both sides).

What's the evidence that there "aren't health benefits?"

The advantages of neutering:
1) No prostrate problems or anal tumors as the dog gets older.
2) Less aggression issues.
3) No running away chasing females in heat.
4) Population control - there are too many dogs being put to sleep in shelters every day. Don't let your dog become part of the problem by fathering puppies.

I thinks it's rather pathetic and sad that a dog can be 'marked down' because he's had the op.

Jonny - I'm with you on this one - lots of people aren't though! I guess it's a bit like talking about religion!

Offline praia

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2012, 05:08:23 PM »
No, judges wouldn't necessarily know if a bitch was spayed or not, but then it's an ethical question if someone shows a spayed bich under false pretences. (you can also have prosthetic testicles implanted...)

However,  there are also companion dog shows if you just want to show for the fun and a rosette. So everyone is catered for - those who want their lines/ stick evaluated for future improvement of their breed as well as those who just want a fun day out  :D

So would you say that most people who show their dogs seriously are either breeders or stud dog owners? 

For the most part, yes.  Why would you want to invest all the time and the money for serious conformation shows when you're just looking for "fun and a rosette"?  That's what companion shows are for. 

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2012, 06:21:59 PM »
There's no problem showing a neutered dog at KC licensed shows - all you have to do is inform the KC using the form on their website. Yes judges do find it tricky knowing what to do with a neutered male but it is possible to show a castrated dog and do quite well - I have a friend who won a CC with a castrated Setter some time ago. We have shown a spayed bitch ourselves (spayed due to pyometra) and the only reason we had to stop was her coat became too difficult to strip properly. That would be the main problem with showing a neutered Cocker to be honest - eventually the coats change and often not for the better.

Re showing generally, nowadays there are a lot of people who don't want to breed but still enjoy showing at all levels so it's not all serious breeders and stud dog owners like it once was.
Jane

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2012, 09:45:28 PM »
Like Jane, we showed Heidi until recently although we had her speyed as we were not going to breed from her.  We continued to use Heidi for handling so sought Kc approval to show as we had to enter breed classes to qualify.  Her coat eventually blew too much so she gets time off now.

There is lots of research about pros and cons of neutering and the effect on bone and muscular development in young dogs, see http://www.caninesports.com/SpayNeuter.html

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie