Author Topic: Lumps and bumps  (Read 791 times)

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Lumps and bumps
« on: September 10, 2012, 11:03:00 AM »
Lottie will be 10 in a few days time and over the past 6 months she has grown quite a few lumps and warts.

She has fatty lumps each side of her waist and numerous warts popping up all over the place.  I've been keeping an eye on all of them in case they are an irritant to her.  Today I took her to the vets as I felt some new lumps and wanted them checked out.  One is like a marble in her breast tissue and a couple of smaller ones in her neck.  The vet said he would like to remove the one in her breast tissue as that may not be just a fatty lump :-\.  At the same time he will remove the ones in her neck (although he thinks they could just be fatty lumps) and as one of the fatty lumps on her side seems to be consistently growing he will remove that too.

She also has a wart on her paw that she nibbles so he we remove that and one on the top of her head that she scratches so that will go too. :'(

I booked her in for Wednesday but couldn't quite think straight and realised after that I'm away Thursday and Friday so I will change it for next week.

Has anyone any experience of multiple lumps and warts being removed and how did your dog cope with leaving the wounds alone?
Mary & Lottie x

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Lumps and bumps
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 12:55:52 PM »
My first Cocker, Josh, was the king of lumps and bumps as he grew older. He had several fatty lumps, none of which bothered him and so were left alone, and lots of warts. He had some warts removed when he was about 9 or 10 and then some more when he was about 13 or 14 plus dental work at the same time. I didn't want him to have a GA at that age but some of the warts were in palces where he could rub or scratch them and we were in an endless cycle of infection, antibiotics, infection.

He sailed through the GA without any problems, despite his age and having a heart murmur and heart failure. We had problems with a wart on the top of his head that regrew (or a new one appeared in the same place) and he kept knocking the top off it. But the really difficult one was right in the middle of his throat, under his collar (which he hardly ever wore but of course had to sometimes). It was infected when it was removed and it took a couple of months for the infection to go after the op. and the skin in the area was compromised and thin afterwards and prone to breaking down a bit.

Apart from that one, I don't remember him worrying too much about the other sites that had been operated on.

Hope it all goes well with Lottie :luv:

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 01:45:14 PM »
My lurcher (now 11) has had various lumps and bumps removed as has my saluki (now 8 ). All of them have been either a benign tumour of some sort or a fatty lump and one was infected tissue. They both do get new ones regularly and get them checked, most just remain though until a suspicious one needs removing, then we remove some others too. My lurcher currently has one in his armpit that so far hasn't bothered him but it is growing so might have to be removed at some point if it interfers with the movement of his leg/shoulder.  :-\

Unfortunately old age doesn't come alone as we know, and lumps and bumps are part of that...  :'( Having said that, none of my dogs have ever had any problems with their removal, in fact, Dylan (my lurcher) must hold some sort of record for anaesthetics as he has had so many skin tears and bites fixed and now that he is older lumps removed.
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline LottieLu

• Maisie ♡
    • Working Glass Jewellery
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 01:54:35 PM »
No advice sadly but just a :bigarmhug:.

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 03:24:50 PM »

Dylan has had some lumps and warts for a couple of years he is now 11. has a couple on the chest which have been tested but all clear. Our vets wants to leave them alone.  He had one on his side that turned into an abscess which was treated with antibiotics.  Wishing Lottie well.

Erica.

Offline debbiedaywalker

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 04:43:29 PM »
My first Cocker, Tessa, had lots of lumps, bumps and warts. Before she was a year old she had a lump removed from the top of her ear, I had to have it removed because it grew quite large and ruptured, she also scratched at it before it ruptured.  She coped fine also had to have a wart removed from her upper eyelid when it grew and started to irritate her. She also had a large mass on her side, which never worried her, so I left that alone.
Could your Vet not take a biopsy of the lump in her breast tissue?

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 08:59:35 PM »

Could your Vet not take a biopsy of the lump in her breast tissue?

He seemed keen to remove this one in particular :-\. He had a good listen to her heart so I'm trusting he feels she's ok to undergo this.   I must admit that the fatty mass on her side has been getting quite big so I think this maybe best removed now rather than when it's grown even more.  Obviously I am still nervous about it all though :huh:
Mary & Lottie x

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 10:06:32 AM »
Get them to do a pre-op test before they knock her out to make sure that her body kidneys/liver are in good working order for the anaesthetics.
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 11:02:18 AM »
Charley has had a number of lumps removed without ill effect.  He also had a malignant melanoma removed from his back paw when he was twelve, and he was fine afterwards.  Fortunately, it hadn't spread anywhere else.  I also paid for extra blood tests to ascertain his suitability for anaesthesia.

I bought Charley one of those inflatable collars rather than have a lampshade around his neck.

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 04:40:49 PM »
I like the inflatable collars, I may have to invest in one ;)

My vet was confident that Lottie was in good health and so she underwent her surgery today.  Since last week I found yet another lump on her tummy so that was added to the list for removal.  I have just picked her up and the good news is that all the lumps were nothing sinister, just fatty lumps :D  She had 4 removed along with 3 warts which were irritating her and likely to become infected.  She's looking rather 'patchy' and obviously feeling a bit groggy but in typical Lottie style she still managed to eat a little bit of fish before crashing out again :luv:

So happy she's home ;)
Mary & Lottie x

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 04:43:26 PM »
That's great news :banana: :banana:

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 06:17:38 PM »
Awww that is good news  :luv:  :cool4: :cool4: x x x

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 07:07:35 PM »
Fab news  :luv: :luv: :luv:  xx
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline Allison

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 10:07:43 PM »
Hi Mary, it's Allison from Bolton do you remember me ? We have Sally who will be 10 In December, we have started to find the odd lump and bump on her. Up until now I have left them as she is not bothered by them and the vet said at her last check up that they are fatty lumps that appear later in life. I really don't fancy putting her through a GA but after reading your post it has got me thinking :huh: is Lottie ok now? Hope you are well. It's amazing how ten years have passed. Did you get another dog or do you just have Lottie ? hope to hear from you soon.      >:(
Allison, Neil & Sally.xxxxxxxxxx