Author Topic: what do you think of these food ingredients in my dog food?  (Read 429 times)

Offline Chezer

what do you think of these food ingredients in my dog food?
« on: October 16, 2012, 10:12:18 PM »
what do you think of these food ingredients in my dog food?

Composition: Rice (min 57%), Chicken Meal (min 20%), Oats, Chicken Oil, Egg Powder, Yeast, Full Fat Linseed Oil, Salmon Oil, Mannan-Oligosaccharides, Glucosamine, Green Lipped Mussel, Cranberry, Blackcurrant, Yucca, Rosemary.

Good or bad?
Archie 4/9/2009

Offline praia

Re: what do you think of these food ingredients in my dog food?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 03:29:28 AM »
It's okay... though I hope this food isn't expensive as you're paying for at least 57% rice. There are other kibbles out there that are inexpensive and offer higher quality ingredients, or at least a higher percentage of it.

For my own dogs I prefer to feed kibble that has named animal protein sources as the first three or four ingredients.  Owning four dogs it makes more sense to me to spend money on kibble that packs the most amount of high quality nutrition from animal sources.

Offline john51

Re: what do you think of these food ingredients in my dog food?
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 09:15:26 AM »
I agree with praia that the cereal content is high but there is nothing questionable in the ingredients. I would prefer to see a higher meat content, and given that rice is such a large proportion it would be better if it were brown rice. White rice is mostly starch and provides energy but not much in the way of nutrition.

You also have to be careful with manufacturers that add or split ingredients to change where they appear in the list. As an example, if you look at Eukanuba Adult Large Breed you get the following. Dried Chicken and Turkey (>20%, a natural source of glucosamine and chondroitin sulphate), maize, wheat, sorghum, barley, animal fat, dried beet pulp (>2.5%), chicken digest, dried whole egg etc. In this case they have added the chicken and turkey content to make it first in the list. The cereals - maize, wheat, sorghum and barley - appear separately after the meat but together, will be a similar percentage to the rice and oats in your food.

The result is no more meat than yours but meat at number one in the list.
Home of Lenny and the late, great, Dylan.