Author Topic: having a few problems.  (Read 1645 times)

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
Re: having a few problems.
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2012, 11:24:41 AM »
Ozzy is 5 months old and still has occasional accidents in the house, twice in the same day, a few days ago - but I think it's because we have become complacent, and hadn't let him out after his tea.  Even when you think they've got it cracked, you still need to be vigilant and continue to let them out at regular intervals.  Ozzy will rush to the door and sit beside it when he needs to go out, but doesn't make any noise, so I have to watch him every time he goes out of the room of his own accord (he follows me everywhere).  It will come, I promise - just keep doing what you are doing.  :005:

Offline JulieM

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2012, 11:47:45 AM »
Hi

Just a note to send you some  :bigarmhug:

I agree with the others, I think it would be a miracle if he was house trained and not biting- it's a slow process, but then things do click into place. I remember feeling similarly anxious and then after a few more weeks noticing that the accidents are happening less often and the biting isn't quite so bad as before.

I think your comparison to kids is spot on. Other people say 'oh yes little johnny didn't have any accidents etc. etc.' Try not to compare yourself to others. It's like in my early days at puppy training I got downhearted because one week we learnt 'stay' and 'stand'- both were a nightmare with a wiggly/ shadow-like cocker (but are now ok). The trainer walked over and whispered to me- wait til next week when we do 'find it' and recall from a distance and watch the other breeds struggling. It was true. I took a lesson from this that our individual breeds and individual dogs are going to be good at different things.

He's just a baby and will get the hang of things soon. Just hang in there and try and enjoy the puppy madness.

Offline Ruby Tuesday

• My little Jem
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2012, 12:46:49 PM »

The trainer walked over and whispered to me- wait til next week when we do 'find it' and recall from a distance and watch the other breeds struggling. It was true. I took a lesson from this that our individual breeds and individual dogs are going to be good at different things.

He's just a baby and will get the hang of things soon. Just hang in there and try and enjoy the puppy madness.

That is a really good point, what a lovely, wise trainer :)
Julie, Ruby and Jem. And never forgetting our first precious dog, Cassie x

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2012, 12:58:34 PM »
I feel for you....honestly.  We want so much to cherish the lovely little puppy who has entered our lives and our homes......BUT at times they test us.. :005:

We have Gracie, who is now 16 weeks.  Our other two cockers are almost 4.  I had forgotten how much hard work a puppy is.  But when I look at my boys, and see how loving and easy they are now......it reminds me that puppy days will be gone all too soon.

Sending big  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline jobartlett

• Donator
  • Enzo Benzo.....aka wigglebum
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2012, 01:07:59 PM »
How are you (and he) getting on now?  What's he been like over the past few days?

Offline Honormum

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2012, 07:20:01 PM »
Yesterday was A. Really. Bad .Day. :o :'(

So many accidents, loads of soiling and the final straw was a really hard bite that broke my skin badly and left me bruised with a raised welt. I'll admit it - I shouted at him after that one and put him in the kitchen on his own.

Today has been SO much better! Only a couple of accidents, no soiling and best of all Bea, our lab, has finally started to play with him (after 2 weeks pretending she hasn't noticed him  :005:) - they have been play-fighting all day so virtually no biting me...and he's been exhausted too! :D :D :D

So glad I can sound off here and get brilliant advice and genuine support in return - thank you all so much. :luv:

Offline Janny

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2012, 09:22:29 PM »
Ruby is 18 weeks old and is still having wee accidents indoors, don't help with the rain as she hates going outside when it is wet. I can stand outside with her for ages encouraging her to go, come back inside and she wees. Very frustrating, but by reading what others are saying it seems part of the penny dropping, although she is clean at night. !!!!!
Jan, Dolly & Ruby x

Offline Mad Mackem

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2012, 09:26:39 PM »
Hi
So glad we are not alone with the biting. Bella is 11 weeks old and we are also struggling with the incessant biting which sometimes is rough. I'm hoping it will reduce once we can take her for a walk to tire her out, but sometimes you can't walk from one room to the next without her hanging on to your dressing gown, slippers etc. I don't think anything prepares you for this. Our puppy classes start 2 weeks tomorrow and I can't wait, any tips would be appreciated  :D

Offline Honormum

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2012, 09:45:06 PM »
Hi
So glad we are not alone with the biting. Bella is 11 weeks old and we are also struggling with the incessant biting which sometimes is rough. I'm hoping it will reduce once we can take her for a walk to tire her out, but sometimes you can't walk from one room to the next without her hanging on to your dressing gown, slippers etc. I don't think anything prepares you for this. Our puppy classes start 2 weeks tomorrow and I can't wait, any tips would be appreciated  :D

Hi!

Teddy's 11 weeks old today and exactly as you describe - last night I got 2 really nasty bites on my hand and arm, where he left a trough in my skin where he bit so hard. :o

He is lovely, but it's the worst thing about him - I go to stroke him and he sinks his teeth in...or grabs my trouser leg or my toes through my socks. He has had our poor old lab yelping in pain, where he's bitten her cheek/ear/tail. >:D

We're starting classes next week (sitting in on the first one because he won't have had his 2nd jabs), and I'm hoping that the classes combined with being able to go out will help lessen it.

Offline Mad Mackem

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2012, 09:53:07 PM »
That's the same for us, first class is a week Thursday, owner only, I guess we need training.... We've had a cocker previously, our dear Molly died in April, however we didn't get her until she was 5 months, she never did biting (plenty od chewing though) As I sit and write this Bella has finally crashed out for the night and peace is restored...

Chris x

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2012, 10:40:11 AM »
I was talking to the other half last night saying the biting seems to be getting better just as Teal sank her teeth in my rear, I was ignoring her !!!
Teal is 4 months and to be honest it is getting better, less pees and poo's and she always runs to the door to let me know she has peed I hope one day she will learn to reverse the process and and go to the door before going.

They really are a pain at this age and can be very stressfull but it will pass and you will have a wonderfull companion.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly