Author Topic: New pup  (Read 4576 times)

Offline Richantsmith86

New pup
« on: November 02, 2012, 05:45:03 PM »
Hi all,

New pup arriving on Sunday, am I okay to let him play in the back garden ? Just not sure if I can do this until he is Vaccinated although I'm presuming I'll have to take him out for toileting anyway.....

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
Re: New pup
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 06:09:34 PM »
Of course you can - as long as your garden is secure and you don't get other dogs wandering in and out!!  Bet you can't wait!!!

Offline Honormum

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 06:19:55 PM »
So exciting!

Can't wait to hear he's arrived safely - looking forward to hearing all about him. :luv:

Offline Millie12

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 08:04:18 PM »
OOooh exiting eh :D i was so exited to go and see Millie and just had to bring her home with me :005: Cant wait to see piccies and hear all about the new little one xx

Offline Black Beauty & Silverfox

• Miya
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 08:26:34 PM »

I remember it well, it's great to see them patrol their new territory :005:

Have fun and take plenty pics because they grow so quickly :shades:

Mel.

Offline sarahm2008

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 09:03:57 PM »
aaahhhh how exciting!!!! oooh yes let him have a wander and a good sniff around at his new territory! just make sure any teeny tiny holes are covered! cant wait to hear all about your lovely little bundle of fluff!!!! (that will get MUCH fluffier!!!) :005:

Offline Richantsmith86

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 12:17:52 AM »
Argh can't wait though will be alone for the first week with him so its going to be challenge, but I'm prepared. The folks are hoping to come back to a well trained pup  :005: Its going to be a huge learning curve so I'll no doubt be seeking your help  :D We've had a fencing chap over and secured the garden (don't ask how much it cost!). Would you advise I take him out to the garden using a lead just to get him used to it? And what do you do about dental hygiene? I was considering getting a brush to use with paste on a daily basis although I'm sure some pups wouldn't be to fond of this!?

Offline Walshies

• Fudge - our lovely chocolate boy
    • Masarnen Ramblers
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 09:38:52 AM »
Agree with what others are saying - we have had Fudge a month now and we got him straight outside and he loved it. We got him used to the collar and lead straight away and simply alternated this with time off the lead. We also separated a toilet area for him in the garden and he now heads straight for it when he does his business. He is turning into a super little chap and we cannot imagine life without him. The first couple of weeks were hard but you do get there! Enjoy!!
Check out our website at www.masarnenramblers.com

Offline Honormum

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 10:57:33 AM »
We let Teddy straight out into the garden, off the lead.
In fact, he's never really been on the lead yet - and doesn't wear a collar at the moment. (he can-t go out until Wednesday).

As for dental hygiene, we haven't done anything specific - other than give him a stag bar. We've never done anything for our 11 year old lab and her teeth are fine, according to the vet. (she's had bones, dentastixs, and now a stag bar - so natural teeth cleaners).

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 12:45:36 PM »
I never put Jinley on the lead in the garden - she seemed to accept it for a walk easy as there was much more to see to distract her!

I also had a small area when she was a puppy that she went to the toilet and I used a cue "be quick" when she went - she soon associated the words with going to the toilet (very handy if we are at the pub or friends house).

The one thing you should do, which I regret now is spend about 10 minutes a couple of times a day getting your pup to stand still to be groomed.  Having a look in its ears, between toes, into its mouth etc etc.  It will pay dividends in the future.

With regards to teeth cleaning - much depends on what they are fed on but whatever you decide do it early to get them used to it.

Hope this helps.

Pat

Offline jonnytrabant

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 01:21:50 PM »

The one thing you should do, which I regret now is spend about 10 minutes a couple of times a day getting your pup to stand still to be groomed.  Having a look in its ears, between toes, into its mouth etc etc.  It will pay dividends in the future

I agree wholeheartedly. It'll serve you well in the future. Like Pat says, groom your dog everyday even though he probably won't need it, it's getting him/her used to it. We placed Harry on his crate. It'll also serve him well for visits to the vets.

Offline Richantsmith86

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2012, 02:33:52 PM »
Great advice, thank you all! Just need to have a sort out and get the lounge presentable for the young one!

When your pup sleeps at night in the crate (or howls), if he/she has an accident do you just let it go on the vet bed, or is it worth putting newspaper over the vet bed for protection. Likewise, I have about a 2 hour drive home with the pup tomorrow, whats the best thing to do for the trip back?!!!

Offline jonnytrabant

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2012, 03:07:01 PM »
Great advice, thank you all! Just need to have a sort out and get the lounge presentable for the young one!

I am sure the little fella will sort the lounge to his own taste  :005: :005:

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2012, 03:27:45 PM »
Likewise, I have about a 2 hour drive home with the pup tomorrow, whats the best thing to do for the trip back?!!!

Take somebody with you, have plenty of towels in the back in-case of accidents -if you do need to stop line your boot with newspaper and put your puppy in their to have a wee.  Dont let him out onto the ground.

Make it a pleasant, calm, stress free experience if possible.  If you can bring something from the breeder that will have some litter-mate smells on it for the first few days in his new environment.

There will be somebody along shortly to give you advice on the subject of crate/toilet training.

Good luck

Pat

Offline Honormum

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2012, 04:13:17 PM »
With regards your crate, you need to have his bed at one end and newspaper at the other.

Teddy has a soft bed with his vetbed inside it, with newspaper lining the whole floor of the crate.

He actually has never had an accident in his crate - he sleeps in it in our bedroom, and as soon as I hear his feet on the newspaper, I know to get up and take him into the garden. (years of waking up at the merest sound from babies/children!)

We had a 2.5 hour journey home when we collected Teddy. I had a towel on my knee and held him on my lap all the way - he had a couple of wees right at the end of the trip, but had been starved beforehand to prevent pooing/travel sickness.