Author Topic: New pup  (Read 4573 times)

Offline Richantsmith86

Re: New pup
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2012, 09:01:58 PM »
Thanks, I'm going to be on my own so my thoughts were to place the pup in his crate on the passengers seat or at the back and attach a seat beat around the crate. I'll probably a. have to let him wee on the newspaper (placed over the vet bed) or pull up after an hour, and hope we wees on newspapers placed in the boot?!! Argh!!

Offline Black Beauty & Silverfox

• Miya
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2012, 01:02:29 PM »
Agree with what others are saying - we have had Fudge a month now and we got him straight outside and he loved it. We got him used to the collar and lead straight away and simply alternated this with time off the lead. We also separated a toilet area for him in the garden and he now heads straight for it when he does his business. He is turning into a super little chap and we cannot imagine life without him. The first couple of weeks were hard but you do get there! Enjoy!!

How did you manage Fudge to use the dedicated area as a toilet :luv:
We prepared an area, dug the earth out and back filled with gravel. Only trouble is our pup would go everywhere in the garden but this prepared area >:D :005:
All that aside she was "house trained" in no time at all. From the second day in her new home she has slept from 9/9:30pm until around 7am without a problem. She has tapped on the patio window to be out to do her business from 10 weeks old. Don't get me wrong there has been the odd misfire but I think their quite a clever breed and get "the message" sooner than some.
Funny thing was when out for a walk she would wait until we returned home and have a wee on the front lawn and then a poo on the back lawn >:( :005:

Mel.

Offline Richantsmith86

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2012, 01:17:05 PM »
I'm hoping Oscar is as well behaved!

Heading down south now, 4 hour round trip to collect the pup! Its as though the cats know something is on the agenda! :005:

Will update this evening!

Offline Homebird

• Jessie 24.01.2001 - 11.08.2012
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2012, 01:20:06 PM »
It took weeks to house train Jessie but I think the problem with the gravel area is that it would be uncomfortable for the puppy's paws and it would be reluctant to go there.

Some people train their dog to go at home rather than when out on a walk to avoid messing the pavements/grass verge - I never managed that though.

It's a good idea to have a phrase - mine was 'busy girl' when I wanted her to go to the toilet as I could take her in the garden and she would either poo or wee before we got in the car.  But maybe I should have had different words for different functions as she would poo and then how did I get her to wee as well!

Offline Richantsmith86

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2012, 07:31:07 PM »
Oscar is home and I smell very doggy! I had him in his crate in my boot for the 1h45 minute drive home. He cried for the first 15 minutes and then just slept all the way home. He's taken a shine to my trouser buttons  :005:

Ive just tried to feed him but he doesn't want anything. I've got the dried food which I've been advised to top up with a hot water, maybe I've put in too much water? Also I tried to take him outside but he hasn't toileted for about 3 hours since I picked him up. Will try again at 8.

We also have two cats which is going to be very interesting. One he hasnt met yet and the other is just working him out and keeping his ground!

Offline Paddy

• Paddy
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2012, 07:38:43 PM »
We need photos!! :D

Offline Richantsmith86

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2012, 07:40:02 PM »
2 mins, he's a big lad, towered above his brothers and sisters

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2012, 07:45:54 PM »

With regards to teeth cleaning - much depends on what they are fed on but whatever you decide do it early to get them used to it.

It also seems to depend on the dog - Jeff and Annie get the same food (as in exactly the same, treats and all, as I don't want one to think I'm favouring the other  ph34r) yet Annie at nearly 5 has excellent teeth and Jeff at nearly 3 has terrible teeth and will need to have them de-scaled imminently  :dunno:

Look forward to seeing pics of Oscar :D

Offline Ruby Tuesday

• My little Jem
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2012, 08:05:58 PM »
I wouldn't stress too much that he wont eat tonight, he has had a very stressful day. hopefully he will be more settled tomorrow.

Look forward to pics :)
Julie, Ruby and Jem. And never forgetting our first precious dog, Cassie x

Offline Richantsmith86

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2012, 09:34:11 PM »
Good, he's still not eaten or toileted since I picked him up around 4.15pm!? He's obviously just knackered, currently snoring on my friends lap!!

Offline Walshies

• Fudge - our lovely chocolate boy
    • Masarnen Ramblers
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2012, 10:31:16 PM »
Agree with what others are saying - we have had Fudge a month now and we got him straight outside and he loved it. We got him used to the collar and lead straight away and simply alternated this with time off the lead. We also separated a toilet area for him in the garden and he now heads straight for it when he does his business. He is turning into a super little chap and we cannot imagine life without him. The first couple of weeks were hard but you do get there! Enjoy!!

How did you manage Fudge to use the dedicated area as a toilet :luv:
We prepared an area, dug the earth out and back filled with gravel. Only trouble is our pup would go everywhere in the garden but this prepared area >:D :005:
All that aside she was "house trained" in no time at all. From the second day in her new home she has slept from 9/9:30pm until around 7am without a problem. She has tapped on the patio window to be out to do her business from 10 weeks old. Don't get me wrong there has been the odd misfire but I think their quite a clever breed and get "the message" sooner than some.
Funny thing was when out for a walk she would wait until we returned home and have a wee on the front lawn and then a poo on the back lawn >:( :005:

Mel.
It was easier than I thought it would be. I separated an area in the garden at the right hand side of the house, edge it with gravel board, lined with membrane and laid Chippings over the top. This coupled with a treat when he did the deed on the gravel has resulted in him happily trotting off to the 'dog bog' every time. He is by no means a model citizen yet as we are still anticipating his business times as he is yet to be fully house trained although when he is in his crate he knocks his nose against the latch. He is clearly a clever pooch as sometimes he will do a 'phantom wee' on the gravel to try and kid us into giving him a treat!!
Check out our website at www.masarnenramblers.com

Offline Richantsmith86

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2012, 07:43:21 AM »
Well, first night done! I woke at 6 and came downstairs to the crate. Unsurprisingly the newspaper at the front of the crate was soaked! He didn't go for a wee last night in the garden which would explain why.... He did go for a poo though in the back garden last night and when I took him out this morning after feeding he pooped in the same spot. He's just following my feet in the back garden, it really is cute but he's not yet started to explore!   :lol2: Short periods of activity followed by sleep!!

Offline Richantsmith86

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2012, 07:44:21 AM »
The only other problem is the spaniel bowl I bought him, ears are still going into the bowl = wet ears! Am I best changing the bowl or sticking it out until his head grows?!!!!

Offline Ruby Tuesday

• My little Jem
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2012, 08:10:45 AM »
I used a washed out Dorito dip jar as a water bowl for a few weeks!
Julie, Ruby and Jem. And never forgetting our first precious dog, Cassie x

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2012, 11:24:54 AM »
I bought some small kitten bowls.

Sounds like he has settled in fine and he is lovely. :luv: :luv:  Dont get hung up on toilet training and whether he is dry during the night or not.  He will have to go little and often to start with, so you either have to sacrifice some sleep if you want to get up every couple of hours, or let him go on newspaper for a while.

I bought a small childs battery night light for by Jinleys pen, which meant the lights could be off, but she could see where to go on the newspaper.

Pat