Author Topic: New pup  (Read 4574 times)

Offline Richantsmith86

Re: New pup
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2012, 11:47:22 AM »
Thanks Pat, that's a great idea using the kitten bowl, will try that!

We've just had a couple of indoor 'accidents' (wees), its my fault...he had a drink and I didn't take him outside straight away. I've used some AAA carpet cleaner and kitchen towel to address it, is this sufficient do you think?

Offline Richantsmith86

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2012, 05:47:46 PM »
A successful start from the poo front! A whopping total of 3 thus far today. I've taken him straight after meals but he hasn't gone immediately. I've waited outside for him for about 10 minutes but nothing. Then, about 20 minutes later in the house I've seen him looking uncomfortable so whisked him out. Lots of praise once he's been but forgetting the treats purely because I'm having to carry him out as quickly as possible! Does this sound ok? We had a couple of number 1 accidents earlier but that was my fault for not taking him outside after he'd had some water. I'm just having to watch him like a hawk which is exhausting, but he's a bundle of fun! This week will be difficult as I'm all alone until next Tuesday! He's enjoying his toy duck, minimal flashes of madness followed by lots of sleeping on my foot/in my arms. I took him into the crate earlier but he likes being near me.

Any tips or advice or does it all sound so far so good?! One thing I'm worried I'm not good at is praise verbally but I have given him treats and lots of strokes!

Offline Ruby Tuesday

• My little Jem
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2012, 05:52:05 PM »
Clever boy Oscar!

The only thing I'd suggest is, try not to actually pick him up and take him out. See if you can encourage him to walk out because you need him to get the idea of how to get outside on his own, rather than being scooped up and ending up outside, if that makes sense!
Julie, Ruby and Jem. And never forgetting our first precious dog, Cassie x

Offline Richantsmith86

« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2012, 05:58:48 PM »
Thanks Ruby! Will give that a try although I get the feeling its 'I'll go when I need to go' at the moment and he hasn't associated toileting with outside yet. I'm just taking him out every hour (roughly) from morning to night time for 10 minutes to let him have a run around (or sleep on my feet :005:) hoping that he may do something. Am I on the right tracks with this?

Offline Ruby Tuesday

• My little Jem
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2012, 06:02:39 PM »
. Am I on the right tracks with this?

Absolutely!
Julie, Ruby and Jem. And never forgetting our first precious dog, Cassie x

Offline Richantsmith86

« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2012, 06:22:57 PM »
Hoorah! Its all very new to me...! Huge thanks to everyone for inputting and advising, its SO helpful.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2012, 06:47:19 PM »
This week will be difficult as I'm all alone until next Tuesday! 

It's definitely more difficult when you're on your own. I know because I've been through that with both my current Cockers when they were puppies because OH works abroad. Sounds like you're doing really well so far :D. My advice for the time when you're on your own is to take a snooze when Oscar does, otherwise you'll be seriously exhausted by the time next Tuesday comes around.

Offline Honormum

« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2012, 07:05:57 PM »
You are doing great - and so is Oscar! :D :D :D

The early days are so intense, especially when it's your first puppy.

Have some treats ready by the back door (or wherever you're letting him out from) or stuff some in your pocket, ready. :D

Teddy actually wees on his walk back from his food bowl. >:( ph34r

At least with pooing, you get a bit more notice to act on. :005:

Offline Richantsmith86

« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2012, 07:35:30 PM »
Haha well Oscar did the same today. Had a wee and thought, 'right, I like the look of that carpet!'

He's been brilliant though actually (so far!), I'm obviously no expert (can't you tell?!) but I think he's got the makings of an absolute cracker!

Treats by the back door is a good idea, thanks for that. I keep carrying him out in a hurry and forgetting them! Mind you, he's not lacking in puppy fat!  The other problem is mucky feet in the house, do you just use old towels to dry your cockers feet?

Offline Honormum

« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2012, 08:42:13 PM »
Cleaning up after dogs in this weather is like painting the Forth Bridge. ph34r
We have cream gloss ceramic tiles in our kitchen diner....big mistake! I must have washed that floor position an inch foot's life in the last month (sometimes twice daily) but it still looks like a herd of elephants (or, rather, hippos!) has rampaged through. :005:

Offline Richantsmith86

« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2012, 07:44:27 AM »
Haha, our carpet is pretty mucky now and the owner is very very tired this morning! Oscar had a couple more wees on the carpet when I was playing with him last night. He also poo'd in his crate last night (which partly went on the floor) and shredded all the newspaper. I did get up 45 minutes later this morning so maybe he tried to hold on but failed (my fault!). I've also been growled at both mornings as if to say 'how could you leave me alone for so long?!'. The positive is that when I carry him outside after meals he is pooing outside. Tough work on your own is this but I wouldn't change it, he's adorable.

Offline CherryT

« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2012, 11:05:07 AM »
Oh golly, it does sound like you are doing well!  Molly is 11 weeks old now and has manic morning time where she just rushes from one end of the cottage to the other and then flops down near me for a sleep.  She's pretty good on the paper and I have been given some very good advice of how to get her to adjust to being outside more once we have gone over every inch of the garden to make sure it is secure (I was absolutely terrified when she slipped through a gap in the wire yesterday and disappeared into next door's garden with direct access to a vast field!)  New puppies are exhausting but they are heaven too!  Best of luck with everything!

Offline Richantsmith86

« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2012, 11:34:38 AM »
Thanks Cherry,

We've been to the vets this morning for his first vaccination, he's been getting a lot of attention! Bit of a stressful morning for him. I mentioned to the vet that he seemed to be coughing a fair bit, I noticed this about 4-5 times yesterday. The vet mentioned something about kennel cough and to keep tabs on his coughing. Hopefully, its nothing to be concerned about.

We also went to the pet shop and I had to take him in to find a suitable lead and collar set. Again, lots of attention! I've tried him with the lead around the house but he is just resisting and attacking the lead!  :005: I've also bought some puppy pads and placed one in the living room, white side up I presume?! How much success have people had with puppy pads? And I've just been over-charged £10 for them but thrown the receipt! Argh!

We're both calm now, and he's fast asleep on my lap!

Offline CherryT

« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2012, 04:32:19 PM »
I haven't tried puppy pads, some people have great success with them and others say that the puppy ends up chewing them but others will give you better advice than I can.  I wouldn't bother to try the lead for a bit, it is all very new for him.  I have just bought Molly a new swish soft bed for her to cuddle into in the living room...out of the corner of my eye, I can just see her trying to drag it round the room!  Aah, now it has fallen on top of her and she has scrambled out, looking startled.  She has also just had her first Fish4Dogs skinny strip.  It kept her quiet for a whole ten minutes and she now smells like Newlyn Fish Market!

Offline Bibby

« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2012, 04:42:27 PM »
I would be a little wary of the puppy pads, there is a thread on here about them. They can swell a lot when they are wet and this can cause problems if the dog chews them - I prefer good old newspaper myself (and it's cheaper!)
Owned by Poppy and Willow