Author Topic: New pup  (Read 4610 times)

Offline Richantsmith86

Re: New pup
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2012, 07:39:57 AM »
Thanks Bibby, I've noticed him grow in confidence just this morning. With that comes mischief though! Whereas he has been sticking to me like glue outdoors, just now he ran from the back garden to the front door to go back indoors! He also used the puddy pad this morning so that saved me having to scrub on my hands and knees. Tries to chew my hands when excited and playful, should I be walking away? Other than that, he'd poo'd and weed in his crate when I came downstairs this morning but only to be expected!

Offline jen1876

« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2012, 07:57:53 AM »
Jasper used to wee in his pen over night but once his bladder grew he stopped! We tried puppy pads for one night....when we came down in the morning he'd bundled it up and was sleeping on it in his bed like a blanket!! Never bothered after that, just stuck with newspaper, it doesn't take long for them to get the idea once they're big enough to hold on all night! Keep trying him with the lead...we found a treat on the end of his nose generally distracted him enough to walk across the room a few steps, then we gradually built it up so he could go across the room etc.
Oscar is lovely, we got Jasper this time last year...although it seems like he's been here forever. I have to say I miss that damp slightly smelly puppy when you first come down to them in the mornings and they're all cuddly and grumbly. Now I just get leapt on! Enjoy him...he'll grow faster than you can ever imagine.  :luv:

Offline Richantsmith86

« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2012, 09:01:34 AM »
Haha thanks Jen, yes I've come downstairs now to a grumbling pup! He's already trying to jump onto the sofa to get to my lap, this is where day naps take place and not the crate! `AFCZ      FVF - that's Oscar's contribution! A few wee's in the living room today, I'm trying to take him out for a quick pit stop every hour/hour and a half but he often has water in between that and consequently pees!

Not quite the 'relaxing' annual leave usually taken but he's great great fun!

Offline Richantsmith86

« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2012, 08:35:16 PM »
Oscar is still a bundle of fun but boy is he hard work. Now very chewy and bitey when excited, piddling all over the place indoors (he's too fast!). Poo's have been a success though, I'm taking him outside straight after meals and I close him in the crate at night time, he's pooed twice out of the three nights in his crate. For the first time he started pooing inside just now so I leaped out of the chair and carried him outside.  It took me by surprise as he hasn't been pooing in between meals. Although he follows me in the garden he doesn't understand his name yet. One thing I'm not very good at is vocal communication with him and buzzwords, I've generally just been stroking him and giving him a treat when he poo'd outside. As you can tell today has been quite stressful, alcohol calls! I'm sure this is normal pup behaviour but I do hope I'm getting things right early in his life! Am I beating myself up too much about it?!

Offline Bibby

« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2012, 08:46:13 PM »
I think you're doing a grand job for just 3 days in! Try not to stress about, he is only a baby and it will all come eventually - they are just like babies - gorgeous but very hard work at times! He sounds like a little treasure
Owned by Poppy and Willow

Offline jonnytrabant

« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2012, 07:22:15 AM »
I have to say I miss that damp slightly smelly puppy when you first come down to them in the mornings

And I thought I was mad  :005:

Offline jonnytrabant

« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2012, 07:26:11 AM »
Just as a matter of interest, what are you feeding him? If he's on a poor quality food then he'll poo more because there will be more waste, and obviously vice versa.

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2012, 10:01:29 AM »
Dont beat yourself up, the pup will do that for you over the next 6 months  :D  :D
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline Richantsmith86

« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2012, 10:09:57 AM »
Haha Jeff, funny you say that I've just noticed a bruise and cut on my arm thanks to the excitable young man!!  Jonny, I'm feeding him Pro Plan 4 times a day which I add hot water to to soften. He's lovely at the moment, fast asleep with his toy duck! He had shred the newspaper in his crate to bits this morning but hopefully he'll get into the routine. He is using the puddy pads but also piddling on the carpet too! :) I also popped a collar on him yesterday just to get him to used to it, will try the lead this afternoon after dinner when he goes into the garden!!

Offline jonnytrabant

« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2012, 12:20:56 PM »
You sound like your doing a fine job.

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2012, 12:55:17 PM »
Sounds like you are doing really well with Oscar!!

I can understand about using cue words, but they really will pay dividends in the end.  Start by using your cue word (I use "be quick") when your pup is toileting so he associates it with the act.  When I want Jinley to toilet, I dont speak or stroke her until she has been - now I just say "be quick" and she knows she needs to toilet before she gets some fuss.  It might become confusing for him if you give him a treat without a cue word as the treats will all blend into one and he wont know what the treat was for etc.  You can start by him learning the "sit" command waiting for his bum to hit the floor before you say "sit" so he associates the word with the action, followed by a treat.

It is good to introduce a clicker quite early as well.  You will find some great information on clickers by doing a search on the forum.

I agree with the others about puppy pads - ask your neighbours for their old newspapers so you can build up a good supply.  Far cheaper and less risky than pads which used  a few times until Jinley started to shred them.  I started off with most of my kitchen floor covered, then gradually reduced the space until it was a few pieces by the back door.  Treats by the back door is a good tip together with a brolly and pair of crocs or slippers to put on quick.

Oscar will soon fit into your life (rather than the other way round) and if you are on your own doing this, then believe it is better than doing it with somebody who disagrees with your training and contradicts what you are trying to achieve. >:D

Keep up the good work, I am not saying you wont still be tired, (Jinley is just over 1 now, and I have only just started wearing make up again!!) :005: :005:, but you will soon find letting Oscar own you very rewarding.

Pat

Offline Richantsmith86

« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2012, 01:54:02 PM »
Thanks Pat that's fantastic advice! I will try with the clicker for toileting from now and see how that goes and use cue word 'be quick' to prompt him. Should I be popping him in the crate for naps through the day? At the moment he's just sleeping on my lap or the sofa.

Also, when I took him to the vets for his first vaccination I noted that he's been coughing quite a bit. The vet told me to keep tabs on this as it might be 'Kennel Cough'. Oscar is still coughing so I was wondering whether I should phone to go back or whether to wait until the 20th for his 2nd vaccination. He's happy as larry, eating and drinking a plenty so I'm not overly concerned but would appreciate some advice...?!

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2012, 02:02:39 PM »
I would pop him in the crate most of the time so he gets used to it being his place, but it is nice to have a cuddle now and again. If he was mine with a cough I would not wait but take him back to the vets or at least give the vet a phone call and ask his advice.

Offline Richantsmith86

« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2012, 02:21:13 PM »
Hi Jeff, just put him in the crate, he can see me on the sofa and is crying! We will be making a trip to the vets within the hour...

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2012, 02:52:58 PM »
I should say just ignore him, but I would probably get down on the floor and lay next to him ;)