Author Topic: New pup  (Read 4575 times)

Offline Honormum

Re: New pup
« Reply #75 on: November 10, 2012, 06:01:16 PM »
Teddy's 13.5 weeks.

When he first came, he was quiet and calm - he very quickly blossomed into a confident, take no nonsense go-getter! :005:

If you want your hot water bottle back, I can recommend a Snugglesafe - pretty indestructible and stays warm all night. Moght be safer if Oscar decides to chew everything in sight!
We've only just moved Teddy downstairs to sleep in his crate. 3 nights and no issues whatsoever. :D
That said, we also have Bea, our old chocolate Labrador, so he does have company.

Week on week, it gets easier and easier - I guess you just find your groove and your puppy does too.

Oscar sounds fab and he looks such a character in your photos. :luv: :luv:

Offline Richantsmith86

« Reply #76 on: November 11, 2012, 07:53:01 PM »
He really is such a character, he has little traits which have me in hysterics. I'm so glad we chose a cocker as we had contemplated a golden retriever, having spent 7 days with Oscar I can now say we made the right decision. As we speak, he's lay on his back smiling as I tickle his tummy. Now he's biting me........OUCH!  :005: Compared to this time last week he's grown in size, confidence and personality. He's still got this nasty phlegmy cough but hopefully the meds will kick in within the next couple of days.

It has been very hard work on my own but thats to be expected. My folks will be back from their adventures on Tuesday and meeting him for the first time, can't wait to introduce!

Quick question, I'm currently feeding Oscar pro plan which is what the breeder fed him. I realise this is an expensive product and I'm more than happy to splash out for Oscar's well-being  but I wondered if there are any other recommendations e.g. similar quality products at a reasonable rate. I'm not considering changing anytime soon as I realise a change in diet could upset his fragile tummy at his young age. Also, the breeder advised I mix warm water with his food, when can a pup just eat the food dry? Lastly, I tried Oscar on the lead today and he's just having none of it, I'm presuming he's too young for this yet? Or should I keep trying to get him used to the sensation? I've had the collar on him for ages now and he's fine with it....

Sounds like Teddy's journey has been similar to Oscar's! I presume he's out in the wide world now?! Hows that going?!

Offline beanbag

« Reply #77 on: November 11, 2012, 09:11:48 PM »
Sounds like Teddy is settling in really well! Im so pleased :D

I was going to start a thread about pro plan. Bonnie is coming home on wednesday and she will be fed on pro plan as thats what the breeder is feeding. However i went into my local pet shop today to pick up some last minute puppy essentials and they were vey anti pro plan and they have a whole organic natural range which is meant to be better..... :huh: none of the other ranges had a "puppy" range which i wasnt sure was good or not... all a bit baffling!

Offline Richantsmith86

« Reply #78 on: November 12, 2012, 08:04:13 AM »
Yes would be interesting to hear people's thoughts in relation to our posts....

Oscar has just settled down after a manic hour. Not a good morning, pooed in the crate overnight and its all over his teddy bears and toys. I took him outside nd he didn't do anything but when I started clearing his crate he pooed 2-3 times on the carpet  :huh: I'm also running low on newspaper, what to do?!!

Offline Joskelly

« Reply #79 on: November 12, 2012, 09:53:34 AM »
Yes would be interesting to hear people's thoughts in relation to our posts....

Oscar has just settled down after a manic hour. Not a good morning, pooed in the crate overnight and its all over his teddy bears and toys. I took him outside nd he didn't do anything but when I started clearing his crate he pooed 2-3 times on the carpet  :huh: I'm also running low on newspaper, what to do?!!

We have been incredibly lucky with Dexter, he has only soiled his crate once when his tummy was upset.  Are you getting up in the night?  For the first week I set my alarm to get up and put him out whether he wanted to or not but it soon became apparent that I didn't need to do this and he could make it through the night.  They are all different though.  Maybe it is Oscar's food that isn't agreeing with him?? 

Joanne

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #80 on: November 12, 2012, 11:00:29 AM »
Teal has a small sleeping / traveling crate, we put this in our bedroom at night. The first 3 nights she woke us up to go out, since then she normally goes 11pm until 7.30am. Not this morning though I was up at 6.45 started with a little whine then followed a couple of woofs she was busting  :D.

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline Richantsmith86

« Reply #81 on: November 13, 2012, 08:15:14 PM »
Oscar is looking bigger by the day, I'm off to collect my folks now and they will be meeting him for the first time. Its going to be nice to have some respite for sure!!

Still accidents occuring in the house and in the crate overnight but I wouldn't expect anything less given his age. What is stressful is when I try to 'clean up' he gets very over excited, tries to join in and actually caked himself in poo this morning. My neighbours were probably confused when they saw a bloke in his dressing gown chasing a cocker spaniel around the garden with a watering can!!

The accidents I don't mind but his biting really is terrible and has undoubtedly worsened. I try and substitute my hands with chew toys, have patted him on the nose when he bites, put him out of the room for 5 minutes (he has pooed in the hallway both times I have done this) but to no avail. When he's sleepy he's fine but I don't feel comfortable playing with him because he's just looking to chew me and scratch me with his legs (I'm covered).

I love the wee lad to bits and really hope this is just a stage that will pass as he develops.

Offline Honormum

« Reply #82 on: November 13, 2012, 08:38:51 PM »
Teddy loves nothing more than to "get involved" when we're cleaning up after him - he grabs the (soiled/wet) kitchen paper and runs off with it, shaking it like a rat.

Best get is to get some baby gates fitted between your downstairs rooms and put Oscar on the other side of one while you clean up.

As for the biting - yup, we have the same issue.
Trainer at class last night told us to make sure the puppy is wearing a "house" lead, eg a slim line,or even  a chain,so it's not so easy to chew. Every time you get bitten, you quickly walk the puppy without a word or a look, to another room (she suggested the hall or downstairs cloakroom, where they can't play or get into trouble), leave them there, count to 10 and then let them back in with you.

It may mean you are up and down like a yo-yo but you have to do it every time and be consistent and it WILL work. :D

Good luck!

Offline Ruby Tuesday

• My little Jem
« Reply #83 on: November 13, 2012, 09:05:23 PM »
He will stop biting eventually, but it might be a while yet. Our Jem was an awful biter and I thought she'd never stop. But she did!
Really all you can do is carry on giving him things he can chew. Have you tried frozen carrots?
Julie, Ruby and Jem. And never forgetting our first precious dog, Cassie x

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #84 on: November 13, 2012, 10:56:16 PM »
I'll lock this one off now as it's turning into a bit of a blog.

Richantsmith86 please feel free to start more threads with any questions on the puppy board.  I'm sure everyone would love to see more puppy photo's too  ;)

helen & jarvis x