Author Topic: 14 Week Old Puppy Changed his Mind about Walkies!  (Read 607 times)

Offline Otis

14 Week Old Puppy Changed his Mind about Walkies!
« on: November 07, 2012, 01:24:37 PM »
Hi Guys,

First post here, I will add piccys of Otis in the Photo Board shortly. Just wanted to ask a quick question, more to put my mind at easy really!

Basically Otis was allowed outside for walks as of Saturday. We did a couple of short (10 min) walks around the block with no problems, sniffing etc as to be expected. Then Sunday we met up with Friends and 3 other small friendly dogs and did a longer walk (1 hour) on grass, even let him off the lead in a large grassed area and he pretty much stayed by my side the whole time.

On Sunday night i decided to go out early before dark and before the fireworks started. Later that night when letting him outside to "go" he got scared by a few close fireworks and ran back inside. He wasn't quite himself for the rest of the night but his tail was still wagging and we turned up the TV and played with him to relax him.

Monday I was working from home so managed to do 4 small walks, 6am, 10am, 2pm & 5pm all of which were fine. Again during the night he got scared when out in the garden with the fireworks  >:D and each time we thought he wanted to "go toilet" when we opened the door he just "went" on the floor!

Tuesday evening my wife took him out at around 5pm and he just refused to walk. He has a dog walker that took him for 2 15 min walks in the day time beforehand and he said Otis was great. He was getting restless in the house at around 8pm that night so decided to take him out again, and again he refused to walk. We ended up carrying him most of the way around the block. When we get onto our road he then starts to run as I think he knows he is almost home. The exact same think at 6am this morning, refusing to walk!

I may have answered my own question but I am thinking he is either a) scared of the dark after the fireworks or b) something has happened whilst out on a walk with the dog walker, however this is doubtful as he leaves us an update each day!.

What are your thoughts guys should I just give him time and reassure him or try to walk on in a confident manner?

(sorry for the long post!)

Otis  :D

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
Re: 14 Week Old Puppy Changed his Mind about Walkies!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 01:29:18 PM »
This time last year I had a 14 week old pup...and he was just scared of the dark. He still is a little actually; we just try and not walk him when it's dark; he's ok in the garden.
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 01:33:04 PM »
I wouldnt worry and he doesnt actually need that many walks right now. I think 2 15 mins are sufficient at his age, with a bit of playing in the garden etc.
Sure he will gain more confidence as he gets a bit older.

Offline Otis

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 01:55:18 PM »
This time last year I had a 14 week old pup...and he was just scared of the dark. He still is a little actually; we just try and not walk him when it's dark; he's ok in the garden.

Thanks Dipsy - Thats good to know others have experienced it, I was thinking not walking him in the darkf but we are finding it difficult not to walk him when it's dark when we go to work and when we get home!  :lol2:

I wouldnt worry and he doesnt actually need that many walks right now. I think 2 15 mins are sufficient at his age, with a bit of playing in the garden etc.

Thanks Jane - I will let him have his 2 15 min walks during the daytime then and then take him into the garden to play in the morning and evening when it's dark so that he will feel safe in his own environment whilst getting used to being out in the dark. I definitely don't want to rush him as he is doing so well in other areas of training!

Thanks both for your replies, much appreciated  :D

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 02:42:28 PM »

Thanks Dipsy - Thats good to know others have experienced it, I was thinking not walking him in the darkf but we are finding it difficult not to walk him when it's dark when we go to work and when we get home!  :lol2:

Thanks Jane - I will let him have his 2 15 min walks during the daytime then and then take him into the garden to play in the morning and evening when it's dark so that he will feel safe in his own environment whilst getting used to being out in the dark. I definitely don't want to rush him as he is doing so well in other areas of training!

Thanks both for your replies, much appreciated  :D

I think thats good, he will feel safe in the garden, Sometimes they all have their funny little ways , Riley now at nearly 9 months has decided he is scared of carrier bags  :005:  also my hairbrush scares him,, silly billy  :o :005:

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 03:10:58 PM »
Charlie is scared of (and has always been scared of...bins or buckets on their side...)
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline JulieM

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 04:05:07 PM »
I posted a similar post when Florence was his age- she just didn't really like going for walks. In time things sort themselves out- it's a big, scary world out there for a little pup- esp. around fireworks night

Offline Chillis

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 04:28:06 PM »
Gosh wouldn't even got pepper down the drive at that age  :005: she was such a scardy cat!

Offline Otis

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 07:22:57 PM »
Ah...phew, all these comments are making putting our minds at rest! lol

Just been in the garden, still a few fireworks going off  >:( but he was right as rain chasing his tennis ball and working on his recall!

I have found out that he loves carrot so that is now my whistle recall treat! Healthy and cheap  ;)