Author Topic: what size crate for a cocker?!  (Read 22166 times)

Offline Rachel Viggars

what size crate for a cocker?!
« on: December 01, 2012, 02:32:23 PM »
Hi,  I'm soon to have our 1st cocker spaniel puppy (2wks 6 days and counting!) We want to crate train him but we're getting conflicting advice over the size we need! One website says 24" a pet store recommended 36" and I thought 30" would be perfect!  Any advice gratefully received thanks!

Offline Buzby

Re: what size crate for a cocker?!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 04:39:01 PM »
Posted the same question a few days ago!!! I was told 30" which is for a fully grown cocker , I don't want to buy two but one size fits all.  We get our puppy in a week!

Offline Davyboy16

• Jasper 2002-2011, miss ya mate.
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 06:12:27 PM »
Woody is 18 weeks and he has a 36" which is perfect for him. He has enough room to stretch out and be comfortable, it may be bigger than needed while he is a pup but they soon grow. What you also need to consider is if you will be having half for his bed and half for a puppy pad in case of any accidents during the night which is what we started with.

Hope this helps.

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 06:18:23 PM »
Mine have 36, which a is big enough for a bed and wee pad.

Offline Jonnydog

• Donator
  • Penny Black - b. 7/5/2011
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 06:27:40 PM »
We have the 30". It's big enough for a bed and Road Refresher water bowl. We didn't use puppy pads.

Jess - my little companion 2003-2011

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 06:39:45 PM »
I've got a 31 inch one (79cm) from PetPlanet. It's quite small for him now he's nearly full-grown. But he barely goes in there any more.

I actually have a spare one (Heavy Duty) which I got for my parents house, which we don't need any more. If anyone needs one and is in the SW Herts/Bucks area and wants to pick it up I'll sell it - including vet bed and divider - it cost me £47 and it's been used about 8 or 10 times, so is practically new. Open to offers...

Offline ladypenelope

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 06:41:08 PM »
I got a 30 inch one (78.5cm for those working in metric) and it's enough room for Poppy's puppy bed, some space next to it and then food and water bowl. She avoids weeping etc in her crate but there is room if needed. We also got this size because that is the room we had available in the kitchen for the crate. If we'd had more room I may well have bought a bigger one (though this one also fits in the back of the car, which is a bonus).

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 06:42:15 PM »
Indie had a 36 inch one, it was like a mansion for her.    Both mine now have 24 inch crates and they have done for the past couple of years.   

Offline ladypenelope

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 08:44:17 PM »
I got a 30 inch one (78.5cm for those working in metric) and it's enough room for Poppy's puppy bed, some space next to it and then food and water bowl. She avoids weeping etc in her crate but there is room if needed. We also got this size because that is the room we had available in the kitchen for the crate. If we'd had more room I may well have bought a bigger one (though this one also fits in the back of the car, which is a bonus).

Weeing that should be - damn you autocorrect!  :005:

Offline Evadee

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 09:15:12 PM »
We started with the Medium SAVIC Dog Crate
L,W,H
(61x46x53cm)
when Tia was a pup but found she ran out of height for her head upgraded to the
Intermediate SAVIC Dog Crate
L,W,H
(76x53x61cm)
now they both have that size and the medium one is redundant, flat packed in the garage.  Watch out for the height when your pup is fully grown  ;)

http://canineconcepts.co.uk/en/metal-dog-crates/3406-genuine-savic-residence-premier-dog-crate-cage-5411388032906.html

Offline Buzby

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 01:15:40 PM »

Weeing that should be - damn you autocorrect!  :005:

I thought it was a euphemism....  :lol2:  my iPad does the same and worse!

Offline ladypenelope

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 03:47:56 PM »
I was actually using my husbands new iphone when I typed that post! And thanks to autocorrect I've just registered the puppy to Ms Chalk Levy, which is NOT my name!

ph34r