Author Topic: Should I put plastic down?  (Read 760 times)

Offline Buzby

Should I put plastic down?
« on: December 01, 2012, 08:39:08 PM »
Well less than a week to go before we pick up our pup.  I have just downloaded a puppy book  - the Gail one... And she mentions putting polythene down under newspaper.  We have ceramic tile flooring ( we live in Spain ) is this still necessary if we mop the floor with detergent, I guess she is talking about people with carpet but I want to get it right  :D
Thanks!

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
Re: Should I put plastic down?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 08:45:09 PM »
Oooh another new pup on the way.  :D I wouldn't bother With plastic on a ceramic floor! To be honest, if pup likes to dig and chew at the paper then I would worry about them eating some of the plastic. I stopped using puppy pads when Archie was very small for this reason.  :shades:

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 11:25:51 PM »
How exciting! What are you getting? Any pictures?

I didn't even put newspaper down, or puppy pads. Just watch the pup for sniffing around and take them out a lot (every 15-20 minutes, after every drink, meal, play, sleep, etc..), and just clean up any accidents, especially easy with tiles! I have carpet and just used a lot of kitchen roll and then doggie carpet shampoo. I think bleaches encourage the dog to go in the same place (something about amonia), so try to get something specifically to clean up dog wee!

Offline Buzby

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 01:14:21 PM »
Ok wil do!
Very excited now. There is a long weekend so we are travelling down on Thursday and coming back up on Saturday to have a day at home before the kids are at school again..  She is an eight week old Black and Tan worker/ show cross.  She is lovely and I can't wait - name tbc..... Will post a photo when we pick her up.

I do have one more poo/ wee related question... We don't have a garden but a back patio which is small and a big roof terrace and an allotment. We live in the country so walks are great!
I am fully prepared to take her out very hour or whenever during the day but we have no grass.  Our patio is paved - should I put paper or dry leaves down? Or should I just sluice it down after she has been. - picking up any offending articles of course!!!  When she has had all her jabs it is not a problem but for the short term I want her to be comfortable where she goes but no make her think she can only go on leaves? Would soil be better? 
Help!

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 01:40:12 PM »
Some people set up a small sandy area if they have no grass.  ;) Coco prefers to wee on gravel or grass so would you be able to make a suitable place for pup to use?  It would also mean that toiletting would be limited to a small area rather than just anywhere.  :D  If you choose not to, I am sure pupster will get used to going on the paving anyway  ;)  If you have a specific toilet area, then there will be less need to clean up every time  :D

She will sometimes need to go at home anyway so it is a good idea to prepare a suitable place for her to use that works for you both.  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 01:53:57 PM »
I live in a first floor flat, and have no garden - but do have a small gravel area out the front, which was where our pup weeed and pooed until he was allowed out. It worked really well. Obviously I picked up the poos (there's a dog poo bin across the road, which is handy) and the wees drained into the gravel. He ended up doing each in a specific part of the gravel (wees just outside the door, poos next to the bins!). Once he was let out he also established his preferred areas - wees in the gutter outside and poos in the gutter across the road (unless we're going to the park, in which case he holds it in!). Not having a garden was initially a concern, but in fact it's made it so much easier! He was house-trained really quickly - got the notion of going out of the door and doing his stuff outside (it was the summer and I took him out ALL the time!). I used key words to encourage him ("weeeee!" and "poop!" and he now kind of wees on command, if he needs to go). I wouldn't leave the door open (not really an issue at this time of year!), so she learns that she has to ask you to go out (by sitting at the door and whining, for example).

I think you'll be fine using your patio. It probably rains enough to drain away the wee - otherwise just hose it down from time to time. Henry's wee does stain the tarmac on the road, until it rains. If you had grass you'd end up having burnt patches from the dog's wee anyway.

Looking forward to piccies!

Offline Buzby

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 02:26:13 PM »
One of the least rainy places in Spain but we wil get a hosepipe to it if necessary.
Thanks for all your advice - we are clearing the patio as I write and I will go and buy some gravel tomorrow!

Offline Cassie01

• Theis 08.04.2012-11.12.2012
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 06:15:40 PM »
If it helps I don't a garden or any gravel on my balcony (which is approx 40 square feet).

My boy happily used this as his toileting area for the first five or so months and he transitioned without issue to outdoor toileting when we decided that the time was appropriate.

I never used any plastic or puppy pads, but I do remember being very worried that they maybe a pee/poo residual smell as a result. To mitigate against this each night I swilled the area with Jeyes fluid and brushed it out towards the drain. There was never a problem or odour with this.

So yes, I'd fully go along with the sluice down approach. It worked well for us.

Good luck with your pupster :-)