Author Topic: Really silly poop question...  (Read 2061 times)

Offline Katrina

Really silly poop question...
« on: October 03, 2021, 02:01:16 PM »
Hi all - as I've already admitted we are total novices! But this question will really highlight the fact  :lol2:

We use poo bags (obvs) when we're out & about. They're biodegradable ones, but still I dislike the waste of wrapping poop up
in plastic.

We've also been using poo bags for every #2 in our own garden. Does everyone do this?? Is there another environmentally friendly way to deal with it?? We're going through a LOT of bags & it dawned on me that there might be another way...

Any suggestions?? Or is it poo bags all the way??

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
Re: Really silly poop question...
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2021, 04:03:28 PM »
A long time ago when I had GSDs I had a dog poo bin installed in the garden.  It was in a large hole and just the lid was visible.  I didn’t find it helped vey much as it didn’t seem to break down the poo.
Technology has advanced since then and I thought maybe these were more efficient now.  I have seen similar things on Amazon but they have mixed reviews. 
For poos in the garden, I don’t use a poo bag every time as it seems so wasteful.    I tend to just use toilet paper and put it into a poo bag.  Several days worth of poo (given that some are done on walks) in just one bag.   :005:
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2021, 04:28:04 PM »
In the summer the poo dries out quite quickly and is less messy to pick up, so I collect it after a day or two and have a few days in a bag. In the winter leave it overnight and it is frozen solid in the morning, and again easier to collect. We are in Scotland though, and get frosty mornings! Plus our garden is large so a couple of poos lying around is no hassle. Might not be so pleasant in a smaller garden though. I use a poop scoop to pick up.
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2021, 06:00:24 PM »
In the summer the poo dries out quite quickly and is less messy to pick up, so I collect it after a day or two and have a few days in a bag. In the winter leave it overnight and it is frozen solid in the morning, and again easier to collect. We are in Scotland though, and get frosty mornings! Plus our garden is large so a couple of poos lying around is no hassle. Might not be so pleasant in a smaller garden though. I use a poop scoop to pick up.

Thats exactly what we do! 😉

Offline Katrina

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2021, 06:48:30 PM »
Thanks vixen! Great idea.... several poops in one bag! That I can do!!

Maybe in years to come I can leave the poop outside for a bit. But between a football playing little boy in the back garden and a puppy that likes to eat his poop  :embarassed:  I'm the fastest poop patroller around!!!  :lol2: :lol2:

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2021, 07:37:53 PM »
I don’t have young children but I HAVE to get the poo up as soon as its done.  I just can’t bear the thought that it could be trodden in and I just hate to see it in the garden so I think I am probably as quick as you collecting it  :005: :005:
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2021, 08:14:30 PM »
I scoop using a cat litter scoop and place them in a bag. Again the weather dictates on bag renewal
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2021, 09:11:00 PM »
Regular collection using biodegradable bags.

Online Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2021, 09:55:40 PM »
immediate poo picks up using shovel and trowel due to golden boy who would savour it if left down (I too don't like the idea of leaving it in case I step in it in the dark and bring it indoors on shoes) >:D

I use a strong supermarket bag placed in a bucket, for outside use (walkies etc), I use biodegradable bags.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2021, 10:09:13 AM »
Obviously I use bags out and about.  But I have hedges all round my garden (I live in the sticks) and so I just pick up the poop with a trowel and chuck into the hedge. It decomposes pretty quickly outside so no, my garden doesn't smell of dog poo, although it might make a good security fence  :lol2:
Julie and Watson

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2021, 01:02:50 PM »
Obviously I use bags out and about.  But I have hedges all round my garden (I live in the sticks) and so I just pick up the poop with a trowel and chuck into the hedge. It decomposes pretty quickly outside so no, my garden doesn't smell of dog poo, although it might make a good security fence  :lol2:

Oh I do like that idea!! :lol2: Who needs a thorny hedge when you can use dog poop!!  :005:

Offline Katrina

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2021, 06:43:31 AM »
Haha I love that several of us are fast poop collectors!

And now I wish I had a hedge!!!  :lol2:

Great ideas!! I can imagine the football ending up in a lined bucket  :-\ but again... one to keep for future reference!!

Online Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2021, 10:05:46 AM »

Great ideas!! I can imagine the football ending up in a lined bucket  :-\ but again... one to keep for future reference!!

You will be pleased to know that the lined bucket has a lid on :lol2:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2021, 01:22:22 PM »

[/quote]
😄
And I do pick up if the weather is wet. Nothing worse than sloppy poohs!!!!
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Katrina

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2021, 07:44:50 AM »

:005: :005: I had imagined an open one! But now I think about it... a lid makes a lot more sense  :005: