Author Topic: Advice for puppy zooming and biting  (Read 1854 times)

Offline dave w

• Site Member
Advice for puppy zooming and biting
« on: November 30, 2021, 08:35:37 PM »
Hugo is just over 4 months old and often goes crazy and starts biting, it’s usually after a walk when he gets back in the house and he gets the zoomies and starts attacking and biting whoever is in the room, any advice on how to handle him when he is like this.

Online bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Advice for puppy zooming and biting
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2021, 06:26:04 AM »
If its usually after a walk then its almost definately tiredness ;) The best solution is to make him rest, stop all interaction and quietly but gently  put him in his crate if he has one, or somewhere quiet where he can settle down. At four months, he still needs a LOT of sleep ! :luv:

Offline Katrina

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2021, 07:01:11 AM »
Totally agree with bizzylizzy 

In our house we call this his "overtired toddler tantrum". Oscar is a hot mess when he's overtired and will just not manage to settle himself without an "enforced nap".  We pop him in a pen with his favourite cuddly toys and he drops off. If he's really hyperactive, I do some settle training to help him switch off - when he lies down he gets a treat or bit of kibble - I don't talk or praise him. It's just getting "paid" to chill out.

We have a lot less craziness when he gets enough sleep and we're all much happier!

Offline sophie.ivy

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2021, 01:31:41 PM »
Agree with the enforced nap! That's the only thing that works when my 4 month WCS turns into a Tasmanian devil around the house.

I can normally tell when she's over-stimulated and about it lose it as the whites of her eyes get a pink/red tinge to them and/or she starts panting a lot. I wonder if anyone else sees this with their cockers? That's when I end the walk, play, or training and pop her in her pen for a nap. She might bark or whine for a minute or two, but as long as we ignore her and give her some space then she falls asleep and wakes up in a much better mood!

This works most of the time, sometimes we have to put a frozen carrot or kong (filled with liver paste or peanut butter) in with her and the licking normally brings her down enough to sleep. There is of course the odd day where nothing works and I just pour myself a glass of wine and seek higher ground :005:

Offline Katrina

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2021, 07:53:18 PM »
We see the whites of Oscars eyes when he's overtired and he cannot control his impulses at all. So he will jump, leap wildy, frantically run around etc.  When he's well rested he has one eye on us and tries really hard to respond to commands & even when he's sneaking off to find mischief, it's still quite measured... like I can see him planning it!!  :005:

He doesn't pant though - he only does that when he's stressed out (like when I torture him with a bath  :lol2: )  They're all so different!

Offline dave w

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2021, 08:27:20 PM »
sorry about the late reply we have just got our internet back on after the storm, i think you are right he mostly does it if his last walk is a bit late in the evening, as soon as i manage to get him in his cage he instantly settles, i now leave his harness on for a few minutes to check his not going to flip so i then have something to grab him buy or he will bite.

Offline Lobo do Mar

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2022, 02:15:04 PM »
Salty always had his funny half hours in evening too
house line made me able to get a hold of him and get back in control (for a bit, anyway)