Author Topic: puppy and adult dont get on  (Read 638 times)

Offline grunty

puppy and adult dont get on
« on: May 16, 2011, 06:08:45 AM »
hi im looking after my sisters 16 week old male blue roan .i have a 2 year old male ,oil and water is an understatement. i have him for 5  days a real nightmare he wont leave my dog alopne at all any ideas how im gonna get round this :huh:

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
Re: puppy and adult dont get on
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 06:15:42 AM »
Babygates!

I've not had experience of introducing a pup / another dog and them not getting on. (I know other COL members have thou  :'() , I'd suggest keeping the two apart most of the time, using baby gates etc. How long are you 'puppysitting' for?

Have the dogs met before?

(I'd imagine having not met the dogs, that the pup is just trying to instigate 'play time' with your dog rather than the issue being 'hormonal' as the pup is so young.)

I hope you find a workable solution for you soon  :bigarmhug:
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 07:53:52 AM »
Pups often display hyperactive behaviour around other dogs, what usually happens is that the older dog will 'tell off' the pup when it gets a bit much, thats how they learn. Is it a case of your dog attacking the pup so you are worried for its safety or are you worried that the pup is annoying your older dog?
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 08:05:30 AM »
Pups often display hyperactive behaviour around other dogs, what usually happens is that the older dog will 'tell off' the pup when it gets a bit much, thats how they learn. Is it a case of your dog attacking the pup so you are worried for its safety or are you worried that the pup is annoying your older dog?
i agree as long as it doesnt get out of hand and the dogs know how far they can go, in my house my pup will not mess with my old girl kizzy, but will try and push bruno but only so far, but with ella he will just snatch anything she has out of her mouth and they play fight and sometimes she will yelp and snarl at him, but she lets him get away with alot more than the other two, i will distract him sometimes but its how they learn doggy manners and behaviour , if the pup get to wound up i would suggest time out in another room every so often or give your dog space to get some peace in another room
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 09:16:26 AM »
As has been said pups do often irritate older dogs :lol: But if you feel it's a bit extreme or you're worried, you'd be best of separating them.. I took on a 2yr old rescue when I got my last pup (the pup was 4 months old at the time) and to take the stress off the rescue, I kept them mostly separate gradually increasing the time they spent together as the pup grew up. They have a fantastic relationship now and I can honestly say there has never been proper scrap between them. They eat together and sleep together etc... they wrestle once a day and flirt a bit :005:

If the pup isn't staying with you long term however, then I'd probably keep them mostly separate this week if you think it's getting a bit out of hand - particularly as the pup belongs to someone else ;)

Good luck!

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline grunty

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 10:37:15 AM »
hi thanks for the replys  the pups had an operation on his back just a bit worr1ed  how can i seperate them if i put him in a cage or roon he whines as soon as i let him back in the room hes straight at our dog tough 1 this :'(

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 10:45:36 AM »
hi thanks for the replys  the pups had an operation on his back just a bit worr1ed  how can i seperate them if i put him in a cage or roon he whines as soon as i let him back in the room hes straight at our dog tough 1 this :'(

Have you got a babygate? They can be easier as the pup can still see everyone. If you're having a real problem and you're worried about the pup's back, whilst this will go against all your instincts, I'd seperate your older dog if he's more accepting of that than the pup. It's only a few days and your older dog will soon forgive you ;)

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x