Author Topic: Safe to let pup off-lead at the beach?  (Read 1026 times)

Offline writercat

• Cat Clarke writes YA
Safe to let pup off-lead at the beach?
« on: July 30, 2011, 11:40:57 AM »
I'm counting down the days until Griffin can go for a walk (10 days to go!). I've read on here that you should let them off-lead as soon as possible, but I've also read in a book that you should be careful letting your dog off-lead around water in case they get swept away! I thought the beach would be ideal, since it's away from the road. All my other local parks have open access to the street... so what should I do?

And how soon did you let your pup off-lead... and what happened?!

Offline kalami

• Site Member
Re: Safe to let pup off-lead at the beach?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 11:47:18 AM »
I hope so, because my plan is to let Molly off next week on the beach.

Offline Goggins

• Donator
  • Princess "Freya" Trucker (dob:25/03/2011)
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 02:48:41 PM »
 ;) Freya's first walk was along the beach with the tide coming in...she didnt go near the water (Im sure this will soon be changing though!!)
Carol owned and loved by Freya (my gorgeous cocker spaniel), Thor (boxer) and Merlin (border collie)

Offline black taz

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 04:02:31 PM »
You shouldnt have a problem.  its unlikely he will venture in too far.  Just watch out for dead animals - they love to roll in them! Yuk, and watch out for the (sorry cannot think of the name, but the wooden bits that sometime run down from the beach into the sea).  Obviously, if it is really choppy or big waves, i would think twice (you could always use a longline)

The first time we took Taz on the beach he only paddled (he was about 10 months) then ran back to us everytime a wave came. 

Offline cangrejo

• Charlie & Dexter, my beautiful boys xx
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 07:20:11 PM »
Charlie's first off lead was his first walk in our local park, he didn't go far from me and just followed me around. His first beach experience was this summer at 18 months, he loves water but was very wary of the sea, took him a good day before he'd venture in and would still only paddle (rivers and streams he's a swimmer).
Rosie, Charlie & Dexter xxx
Charlie 31/12/09
Dexter 17/06/11

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 07:24:55 PM »
Freya has grown up on the beach and was off lead as soon as her jabs were active. As a very young pup she wasn't that interested in getting in the water, only a bit of a paddle, so you should be fine

Offline writercat

• Cat Clarke writes YA
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 10:18:05 AM »
Thanks everyone! I'm suitably reassured. One of the (many) reasons I wanted a dog in the first place was seeing so many having such a fab time on the beach!

Offline maddy74

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 07:55:20 PM »
OMG we took Willow to the beach a few weeks ago and it was such an amazing experience watching her enjoy the beach so much. We let Willow off from a young age on a COL meet following some advice and she was really good. I get so anxious letting her off near home following a blip with her recall a few months ago however on the beach I was so laid back with her off the lead and she was as good as gold. She loves swimming on the lakes etc but wary of the sea, although she went in not deep enough to swim. our pup loves squeeky tennis balls so always when i am out I always take a minimum of 2 out one in her mouth and one in the hand so if she does go too far I make a noise with that and it usually gets her attention and she comes flying back. Also take treats and at the beginning of the walk before you let her off, give the pup a taster of what you have got, then they are likely to come back. lol

Offline writercat

• Cat Clarke writes YA
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 07:39:28 AM »
Also take treats and at the beginning of the walk before you let her off, give the pup a taster of what you have got, then they are likely to come back. lol

Thanks so much for the tips! I'm really looking forward to it now!

Offline woodlander

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 11:33:12 AM »
Yes, definitely.  we let Sweep off the lead at the beach for the first time too.  She had a little sniff at the water and really wasn't quite sure about the wet stuff!  We took her regularly to the beach and let her go at her own pace - (we have heard of people literally chucking their dog in the water  >:( >:( because "they ought to enjoy it") and now she loves paddling and splashing around especially in warm weather.  She is not a great swimmer only when it is very calm and not really out of her depth.

Enjoy and perhaps take a ball or something to have a little game with to make it even more fun!

Offline seasideblue

• Bella
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 07:34:15 PM »
Bella was on the beach at 9 weeks as I thought it would be a nice clean place to let her off the lead (washed by the tide twice a day). She stuck very close to my ankles and didn't venture any where near the water. If I stopped walking she dug around my feet - trying to bury me?? It took quite a long time to get her into the shallows and she only swam for the first time because she fell in a rock pool! I think she was quite frightened by the noise of the waves and they must look huge when you are puppy size.

Now (7 years) she loves the beach - eating seaweed especially, or 'killing' it. She lies at the edge of the sea or in rock pools when she gets hot and will only swim if it is to fetch her ball. Even then, she is easily spooked by the size of the waves. Not very brave. My other girl, Mabel (nearly 3 years) again loves the beach (especially tasty seaweed) and running through the water after her ball, but she is not a swimmer - yet! We live in Falmouth and dogs are banned from the beach until 1st October. Poor dogs don't understand.

Of course, all dogs are different...... Have lots of fun with your pup on the beach!