Cocker Specific Discussion > Health

First Aid Kit for dogs - what should I have please?

(1/6) > >>

elaine.e:
This is something that's been on my mind for a while. I blithely walk William all over the New Forest, take him to agility training and shows and I never have anything with me in case of minor injuries or emergency first aid. Neither do I have much at home and my first aid skills are minimal.

My kit, such as it is, consists of Piriton, Pro-Kolin, Hibiscrub, Thornits Powder, Silica and a tick remover. Not great is it? I have a couple of bandages in the bathroom cabinet but wouldn't be too sure about how to bandage.

Does anyone else keep anything in their car or at home, and if so, what?

waggytails:
I'm a bad mummy, you have more in your cupbard that me,  :005: I do have vinegar and bicarbonate soda for stings

fifer:
Depends if it's for the house/car or in a bum bag for field trips

Foil Blanket for shock (and a Blanket for stretcher use etc kept in the car)
Scissors
Tweezers or forceps
Tick Hooks
Syringes and Irrigation pods or spray for cleaning out wounds
Vet wrap
Various sized dressings
Micropore tape
Cotton wool
Surgical swabs
Rescue Remedy, Emergency Essence or Carbo Veg, and Arnica (shock/bruising)
Hibiscrub
Antiseptic Spray
Piriton (for adder bites)
Wound powder
Colloidal silver,
Styptic crayon/pencil/powder for broken bleeding nails
Thornit and Ear cleanser (cleanaural)

elaine.e:
Blimey! That's a very comprehensive list - thank you fifer.

It's made me realise that I have a few more things in the house already. I have arnica ointment, tweezers, antiseptic spray, syringes and a styptic pen, plus scissors of course.

I'm not sure what vet wrap and micropore tape are. Is wound powder the same stuff that you get for horses, but presumably in a smaller size carton?

I really must carry piriton with me in the warmer months. I don't see as many adders in this part of the New Forest as I used to in another area where we lived before, but I saw one a couple of years ago where I regularly walk William. The one thing I do know is what to do if a dog is bitten by an adder as it happened to a friend's Cocker puppy years ago. Luckily he survived.

fifer:

--- Quote from: elaine.e on January 31, 2009, 04:46:26 PM ---I'm not sure what vet wrap and micropore tape are. Is wound powder the same stuff that you get for horses, but presumably in a smaller size carton?

--- End quote ---

Vetwrap are cohesive bandages ie stick to themselves not the patient, micropore tape is that "paper" type sticky tape doctors use instead of elastoplast and yes wound powder is the very same stuff but usually in a small puffer type plastic bottle so it doesn't get wasted.  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version