Author Topic: Archie bitten daughter again - out of options  (Read 27829 times)

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
Re: Archie bitten daughter again - out of options
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2015, 08:56:59 PM »
just took a peak at this site. am amazed at what is available if you know where to look. thanks for high lighting this. should think a few on here will find it helpful
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2015, 09:10:57 PM »
Lesley, I am sorry you have had such negativity thrown into the mix now too.  Those of us who have known you for a while, and understand what you have been through, the effort and time you have out into Archie support you 100%  No judgement here, I just wish I had a solution.  Sending you lots of hugs  :luv: and a pm  :005: x

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2015, 09:36:21 PM »
Just a random thought, I was at Chatsworth show this weekend and there was a display of working police dogs, not just German shepherds, all sizes from a small terrier up. The only thing they all had in common was they were pet dogs who had bitten and had gone for retraining and been found jobs.
I know this is not a perfect solution but trying to think of some alternatives  :bigarmhug:

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2015, 09:44:52 PM »
Actually that is a good shout Ben's mum.  Sometimes a dog needs to be busier than a family home permits.  Definitely worth a thought.

Offline zenon_bass

« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2015, 09:51:01 PM »
Just a random thought, I was at Chatsworth show this weekend and there was a display of working police dogs, not just German shepherds, all sizes from a small terrier up. The only thing they all had in common was they were pet dogs who had bitten and had gone for retraining and been found jobs.
I know this is not a perfect solution but trying to think of some alternatives  :bigarmhug:

Sounds a good idea worth investigating....  Really hope it works out for you!
 :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2015, 10:41:04 PM »

Sounds a good idea worth investigating....  Really hope it works out for you!
 :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Certainly worth looking into, I would think    :shades: also maybe Customs & Excise sniff & search? knowing he has gone somewhere to work, may make the parting easier for you, if it comes to that.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline amichell

• Donator
« Reply #66 on: September 13, 2015, 11:22:28 PM »
I was so sorry to see this title..

I followed your last thread about Archie and I really hoped with the help of the behaviourist that you were making progress.
I can't begin to imagine what you are going through, it must be devastating and heartbreaking...
Sorry I can't offer any advice but sending a :bigarmhug: from us x

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #67 on: September 13, 2015, 11:46:54 PM »
Thank you  :luv:

I have now ordered a muzzle so I can lessen the risk of him going for daughter.  I'm going to contact my trainer to give an update and see what he suggests.

The way I see it, Archie's hyper levels go from 1-10 instantly (eg. furiously circling whilst manic barking when we go through a doorway) so it figures nothing we do or say will even register with him in this heightened state he's in.  We need some way of preventing this escalation or slowing it down so it doesn't reach over 3/4 and then trying to deal with the problem.  I suppose it's the same as trying to reason with someone who is extremely angry and violent - the level they are at isn't compatible with rational thought or discussion??
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #68 on: September 14, 2015, 12:25:50 AM »
Thank you  :luv:

I have now ordered a muzzle so I can lessen the risk of him going for daughter.  I'm going to contact my trainer to give an update and see what he suggests.

The way I see it, Archie's hyper levels go from 1-10 instantly (eg. furiously circling whilst manic barking when we go through a doorway) so it figures nothing we do or say will even register with him in this heightened state he's in.  We need some way of preventing this escalation or slowing it down so it doesn't reach over 3/4 and then trying to deal with the problem.  I suppose it's the same as trying to reason with someone who is extremely angry and violent - the level they are at isn't compatible with rational thought or discussion??

I think you have a valid point.  Appreciate you have ordered the muzzle as a last resort but not all dogs respond well to them, please have that chat with your trainer before using it just in case it exacerbates any insecurities he has.  It's also worth exploring an alternative food for him and potentially meds from your Vet  :-\ hope Monday is a better day for you all x

Offline Mandy and Teddy

« Reply #69 on: September 14, 2015, 03:48:08 AM »
I am so sorry for what you must be going through.
I really don't think I can offer anything helpful but just wanted to send my heartfelt wishes something happens that will help your situation and your peace of mind.

Offline CrazyCockerGang

« Reply #70 on: September 14, 2015, 08:02:26 AM »
I honestly can't believe what I've read, do people not think that a child getting bitten is extremely serious! It has effected her school work getting bitten on the bottom being painful to sit, have the school been informed? What would social services say regards multiple dog bites sustained at home to a child by the family dog! I realise this is a dog forum and online support system but in real life a child is being put at risk! Serious action should of been taken long ago to prevent the dog from getting to the child. I can't believe everyone can be no pleasant and back slapping in such a serious situation regardless of what action has been taken previously, who's to say the next time he won't bite the child's face and scar her for life! please do not leave your child & dog in the same room supervised or not. Great that your  getting a muzzle in the mean time.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: September 14, 2015, 08:13:45 AM »
Crazycockergang

Will you please moderate your tone.  I see that you are a new member.  What is your experience that you feel able to lecture and dictate in such an unpleasant and judgemental way? (I notice that you have not had the courtesy to introduce yourself  :shades: )

Geordietyke has been given plenty of good advice on here over a very long period of problems.  It is not the place of this forum to tell people what they should do in such a rude way - yes, people are pleasant, polite and supportive on here.  I have been on other forums where people are nasty and judgemental - this is not such a forum. Perhaps you might prefer one of those if you find people are too "pleasant" on this one.  :dunno:

The OP has been advised to consult a vet and a good behaviourist which is all that we can advise given that no one has actually seen the reality of what it happening. 

Geordietyke - sorry to hear things have got so bad.  :'(  Have you been persevering with what your behaviourist suggested?  If you are to turn this round, it will require a lot of work and time on your part.  I really hope you find a solution that works for you and Archie.  :-\  You have received a lot of support and advice but only you can decide where to go from here - there are no quick fixes now  :-\

Julie
Julie and Watson

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #72 on: September 14, 2015, 08:24:23 AM »
Thank you Joules.

Yes, we have worked really hard and consistently with the training plan given, along with Top Barks Recall sticky.  I have emailed my trainer giving him an update and asking for further advice regarding reducing his hyper behaviour levels as we can't move forward in our training if he immediately goes from level 1 to 10 - he just won't listen or register what we are saying/doing.

I am looking at changing his diet again, with lower protein levels, just to see if that has some effect and after trainer has responded, I may well have to see the vet with a view to possible meds to assist in the short term also.

I have had him crated a lot over the weekend, he is OK(ish) when I'm sat next to him but level 10 hyper behaviour returns when I leave the room but it's the only way I can keep family safe for now.
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #73 on: September 14, 2015, 08:26:10 AM »
Crazycockergang as my mum used to say, if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all!
We all have different ideas and thoughts on here about how to look after our dogs, but first and foremost we support each other when things are tough.  None of us know what the situation is like exactly, but we can be supportive

Geordietyke sending  :bigarmhug: and thinking of you today as you try to decide what happens next.

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #74 on: September 14, 2015, 09:20:36 AM »
Lesley I'm sending you the biggest big
hug I can find ...I wish i had some idea of what
a solution would be but I do not :bigarmhug:
xxx steff