Author Topic: Would your cocker protect you if needed?  (Read 3411 times)

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
Re: Would your cocker protect you if needed?
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2007, 04:12:35 PM »
Clever boy, Billy  :shades:

I'm not sure about Tilly, although I think she would definitely protect Emily who is 11.  If Emily and I are larking about (as you do  ::)) and I put her over my knee and pretend to smack her bottom (as you do  ::)) Tilly will run up woowoowooing and take hold of my "smacking" hand in her mouth.  She doesn't hurt me, but she stops the "smacking".  Emily, of course, thinks this is hilarious  ::) ::)  It's a good job I don't believe in smacking and hence Emily has never been smacked for real, because I don't think Tilly would allow it  ::) ::) ::)  :005:  :luv:

When I was a child my lovely old Heinz 57 dog would intervene if my brothers' friends teased me too much - he was my best friend and would growl at them menacingly  :luv:  He never stopped my brothers teasing me though  >:(  I think he just knew what was allowed from family and what was not from outsiders.

Dogs are amazing, aren't they?

Sue and Tilly (protector of smacked bottoms everywhere  :005:)

Offline Lee67

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2007, 04:30:39 PM »
What a clever boy protecting your mummy Billy... :luv:

Twice, both times walking at night in the dark there have been men walking behind us (Poppy & me) and Poppy has turned round at them and barked and barked until they were out of view.
If a man walks behind us in the daytime shes not bothered.

Lee & Poppy xx

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2007, 06:00:40 PM »
I am quite fascinated as to how he knew that this man could possibly be up to no good? Dogs aren't aware of rapists and murderers so how did he sense the difference between this man in the bush and a man walking past? As humans we know of the dangers but dogs don't so why was he wary??? 

Billy is obviously perceptive, and Molo has reacted in a similar way on occasion, but I'm not sure I put it down to "knowing" the difference between a threat and a friend  ;)

Billy obviously sensed there was someone in  the bushes and his reaction to that made you "freeze with fear" . Billy then would have sensed your fear/reaction, and linked it with the man he knew was there, which, imo is why he carried on growling and moved in front of you  ;)

I do think that some pet dogs would defend their owners if they believed they were in danger/threatened - but unlike protection dogs, I think most of them would do limited damage if they did bite, as the training they receive as puppies in bite control would restrict their reactions  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline MrsMac

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2007, 06:10:30 PM »
Well done Billy  :luv:

We've never been in a situation where Melody has felt she had to protect me (other than the daily protection from creepy crawlies and flies  :005:).

My sister had her for a sleepover a couple of weeks ago and she said when they went out on their walk Melly stopped and barked at a man walking towards them.  Melly took an instant dislike to the man, he's not my cup of tea either actually.  He has 2 collies and he rarely walks them, just opens the door and they roam around the village  :'(

Maybe she knows something we don't ? ?
Mairi & Melody
Melody

Friends are the angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2007, 06:13:01 PM »
Billy obviously sensed there was someone in  the bushes and his reaction to that made you "freeze with fear" . Billy then would have sensed your fear/reaction, and linked it with the man he knew was there, which, imo is why he carried on growling and moved in front of you  ;)

He froze first. I went to carry on walking oblivious to it but he wouldn't budge. It was only then that I got nervy & realised he'd seen something  :D

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2007, 08:43:21 PM »
absolutely not unless you call licking them to death being protective... I have a weimaraner for that  ;) She never needs to do anything most people tend to leg it when they see her coming with her waggy stump. 

Offline jools

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2007, 09:35:27 PM »
Well done Billy Boy. No danger my 2 would protect me
With love from Julie, Bramble Poppy and Coco xxx

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2007, 10:08:33 PM »
absolutely not unless you call licking them to death being protective... I have a weimaraner for that  ;) She never needs to do anything most people tend to leg it when they see her coming with her waggy stump. 

Not me, she is  :luv: :luv:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2007, 10:10:08 PM »
I'm not too sure about Fern altho Jock I would have no doubt about  ;) he even protects me from OH  :005:

We're only allowed a cuddle in bed anywhere else in the house is not allowed (Jock's rules  ;) )

and before anyone says I wouldn't allow that then let me say I've not even tried to stop him  :shades: Oh  thinks i have trained him, no i've just not corrected him  :005:

Offline ali

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2007, 10:18:35 PM »
i've often noticed that if barkley is unsure about something up ahead he will normally come and plonk himself just in front of me before proceeding cautiously. i don't know if this is him being protective or just coming close for reassurance. :) he will also often bark at anyone who he is not sure about for some reason, but normally goes to make friends if the stranger crouches down to his level to say hello.

however there was one man one night who he absolutely would not go anywhere near and he would not stop barking at. we were talking and the poor guy was trying hard to make friends with barkley, but barkers was having none of it and was very vocal in his distrust, particularly if the man moved closer to me. now this would be great... except that the guy was a police officer!  ::) so if i am ever in trouble and a policeman tries to help, i may find that barkley actually wont let him...  >:( :005:
'my goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks i am'

Offline piewwiew

• Site Member
  • MAGIC
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2007, 11:14:05 PM »
i don't know enough about cocker spaniels yet, but most dogs will protect the one they love and respect maybe does that stem from being a pack animal ? is it instinct?

also it is often said to me (and i strongly believe) that children and animals will make a judgment about a person way before we do - they will always tell you in their own way and behavior that someone is not to be trusted  >:(

very interesting topic i found this one fascinating.

teresa xxxxxxx

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2007, 09:17:14 AM »
Billy you are such a clever boy  :luv: :luv:

I read this thread when it first started and did wonder about Blue, I wasn't 100% whether he would or not, that is until last night.

I took him out on the field and it was slightly later than usual, had to get my Joseph fix first  :005:, we were both having a run.  Blue then stopped and looked at some hedges he then started to bark (he NEVER barks whilst we are out) and was fixated on the hedge just barking.  I couldnt see anything, but to be honest I didnt get close enough to look. 

I praised Blue like mad then went over to the opposite end of the field, constantly looking over my shoulder I might add, and he was happy as Larry again. 

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2007, 03:13:36 PM »
absolutely not unless you call licking them to death being protective...

I think this would be the reaction of my lot  >:(   Although I don't ever want to be in a position to find out! :o

This is a quote form Lesly Scott-Ordish's book "Cocker Spaniel".  "Black and Tan...show the orange spot over the eye which ancient folklore in Tibet suggests gives these dogs magical powers of perception.  They are supposed to be able to warn their owners of impending doom or disaster." 

So it must be true! 

I had never heard this, that's really interesting!
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2007, 10:18:30 PM »
 :luv:

What a clever boy Billy!  :-* :-*

I think Indie would protect us too! 

Offline leisl

• Donator
  • Hi-Life PAT Dog of the Year!
    • Muppet - PAT Dog of the Year Winner 2010/2011
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2007, 10:27:11 PM »
Muppet might not protect me as such but she would sit on top of my cold dead body I am sure!  ;)
Leisl, Muppet & Krumble
Orange ones are more juicy!!