Author Topic: Playing  (Read 1754 times)

Offline dylans mum

• Site Member
Playing
« on: November 23, 2007, 04:13:30 PM »
Hello  :D

I'm a newbie to the site. We re-home a black 2 year old cocker spaniel back in September. He's beutiful  :luv: and settling in with us really well except for one thing...

...he won't play with any toys  :huh:

we've not had a cocker before (we've mainly a heinz 57 doggy background) and never ever come across a dog that won't play, is this normal???

we wondered if it has anything to do with his past. He was obviously very loved and well cared for, but he lived with his brother who was much more of a dominant dog and obviously made most of the decisions for the pair. his previous owner left notes with the rescue centre that both dogs loved playing so it seems a bit strange that he has stopped. The brothers had to be separated as after the recuse center sent them away for neutering, they fought when they were put back in together.

while he's completely taken over our house and our lives, he's generally quite a nervous little chap outside the house and is not at all sure about new dogs and new people

we've tried every sort of toy possible and not a sausage. the closest he gets to playing is tipping up the washing basket so he can steal dirty socks and bury them in his basket :005:

any suggestions?

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
Re: Playing
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 04:25:36 PM »
I shouldn't worry about it.  Charley doesn't bother much with toys, and won't chase a ball and return it.  He has a knotted rope and ond one of those soft bone things which he will carry around to show visitors.  Otherwise he is not much interested.

A previous Black Cocker that I had seemed to be obsessed with chasing a ball.  He wanted to play at all hours.

Offline LouiseAS

• Inactive
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 04:41:05 PM »
I have a little golden girl and no amount of trying in the 6yrs I've had her can make her interested in toys.  The only she will fetch a ball is out of a river.  She's just happy to flush out pheasants, rabbits or any other wildlife on walks.

My other one Jakey is completely toy obsessed especially cuddly toys and balls.

They're like chalk and cheese  :luv:
Louise & my beautiful girl Meg xx

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 07:08:19 PM »

If he's food motivated you could try a treat ball... or put treats in an empty plastic bottle with the lid off.

Offline pupdaddy

• Site Member
  • What you lookin' at?
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 11:41:56 AM »
Less things to trip over/clear up... Jarvis loves chewing his toys - doesn't look after them like some dogs
Robin & Emma & Jarvis

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 08:20:15 PM »
Its still early days, you might find that over the next few months he'll start playing and will become more relaxed in other situations too. I've had my rehomed black cocker 4 months now and she's probably not yet fully settled. It takes a while

Goodluck

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Cazzie

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 08:23:05 PM »
A couple of mine wont play with toys but love either kongs or good quality chews. Its not something id be overly concerned about, maybe he's never had the luxury of toys before you got him  :-\ :luv:

He looks lovely  :luv: :luv:

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 09:48:23 PM »
Pigs ears or tripe sticks wrapped in an old towel  or cloth with lots of knots and you could tie some thread so you can make it dance and move like prey.
Two of mine just want to play all the time whereas I have had to teach Oliver my old boy the virtues of chasing an object by using clicker training.
Welcome to COL by the way. :D
Mark

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Holly

• Site Member
  • Beatle and Mouse
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2007, 04:07:51 PM »
...he won't play with any toys  :huh:

while he's completely taken over our house and our lives, he's generally quite a nervous little chap outside the house and is not at all sure about new dogs and new people
This sounds so like Mouse. We've had her for nearly three months now and we are still learning so much about her. :luv:
She had no idea of how to play with other dogs, people or toys. However she is getting better and will play with my other cocker although she still never instigates a game.  I've tried various toys but she has no interest at all. I am slowly...very slowly making progress using a clicker with a soft toy.  She will now sniff  it and sometimes pick it up but she drops it again straight away.
I feel I would like to give her the opportunity to learn that toys are fun.  She is such a nervous little dog and everything is a confidence issue with her but if she doesn't develop an interest I'm not bothered.
I wouldn't worry too much maybe as his confidence grows in other areas he will start to take an interest.
Nothing would persuade my Welsh Springer to retrieve a toy. She works on the 'you threw it you fetch it' policy! >:D

Offline kalami

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2007, 04:15:56 PM »
I'm glad someone asked this question. We have Bella who loves toys - even if they're not meant to be toys  >:D, she even knows when I return home with a new one and gets dead excited. In contrast mother in laws puppy is not interested in toys at all, last week i was trying to play with her and get her interested she just ignored them I thought there was something wrong with her. Glad to see others are like this.

Offline CJ

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2007, 09:45:20 PM »
They're funny aren't they?  My old working type springer bitch never could see the sense in playing, but get her on the scent of a pheasant (!!!?!?).  Teal (show type cocker) loves to play, very competitive when others are playing ball, only problem is that the collies give the ball up to play with again and she runs off with it and tries to bury it - it looks so funny when she tries to hide it, or use her nose to cover it with anything she can find.

If I want to instigate play then I usually say "ready, ready, ready?" in an excited voice (the neighbours probably think I'm mad) and that's enough to make them look up and come out to play.

Not now though, someone here is asleep on the sofa with their paws up in the air - snoring!!! :lol:

Offline dylans mum

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2007, 03:50:13 PM »
Hi everyone

Been away for a few weeks, but you were right - there have been some developments on Dylan's playing abilities as he's settled :blink:

Dirty washing is still definitely favourite, but rather than just burying it in his basket, he now comes and asks for a tug. He doesn't play for long, but at least it's a start!! :D

He's also stolen the teddy bear off the bed in the spare room  >:D which is now also kept in his basket and he regularly brings this over as a present to one of us :luv:

We're thinking of donating all the proper doggie toys we bought for him back to the dogs home!! >:(

Offline CJ

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2007, 09:58:37 PM »
Mmmm we have trouble with teddy in the spare room :005:.  I told her that he was mine but she still fetches him down if I forget to close the bedroom door.  I also have to remove the loo roll from the bathroom too, as she thinks it great sport to  unravel it and eat the edges (try explaining the fringed look to visitors!!) :lol: