Author Topic: Serious Aggression - Desperately need advice - updated  (Read 18520 times)

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
Re: Serious Aggression - Desperately need advice
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2009, 10:35:13 PM »
I have no advice whatsoever, just wanted to say that you shouldn't feel as though you are 'failing her'. You have gone to the vet, engaged a great behavourist and you're on here asking lots of advice. You are working very hard on it so please don't put yourself down. You are obviously very devoted and committed to helping her. Chin up! Big hugs  :luv:

I totally agree, it sounds as if you are trying your very best to help your poor girl :-* :luv:. I have lived with an aggressive dog and although the circumstances were different, I have some idea what you are going through, it's like you are constantly walking on egg shells :'(. Massive hugs to both you and your OH, I hope you get to the bottom of little Lily's problems soon :luv:

x In memory of Barney x

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2009, 11:04:24 PM »
Take it one day at a time and don't get too bogged down by trying to 'fix' her straightaway. As mark has said be as hands off with her as poss unless it's during a training session where she has to learn to earn. Has David mentioned getting the full range of blood and thyroid tests done? What about rescue remedy, valerian and skullcap homeopathetic remedies? How is she behaving on walks and with other dogs/people?

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2009, 11:16:34 PM »
I don't have any advice but I wanted to wish you well, it sounds like you have a great vet and behaviourist so you are doing everything you can. I hope something obvious becomes apparent very soon and you are able to get her stable again. :blink:

Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2009, 11:36:54 PM »
I don't have any advice but I wanted to wish you well, it sounds like you have a great vet and behaviourist so you are doing everything you can. I hope something obvious becomes apparent very soon and you are able to get her stable again. :blink:

Same here  ;)  You seem to be doing all you possibly can to sort out these problems - try not to get too downhearted.  :-\ You will find lots of help and support on here :bigarmhug:
Julie and Watson

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2009, 07:44:59 AM »

Same here  ;)  You seem to be doing all you possibly can to sort out these problems - try not to get too downhearted.  :-\ You will find lots of help and support on here :bigarmhug:

And from me too  :-* :-*

Millie

Offline Gordo

« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2009, 07:58:57 AM »
I just want to thank you for all your help, advice and kind words -- a girl I met dog walking put me onto this site and I'm so glad.   :blink:
This morning we followed David's advice about only giving her her food if we can stroke her and she doesn't growl. She started off growling and was obviously frustrated as she wasn't getting her food on her terms, but she soon got to know that she's not to growl when we stroke her and she gets some of her food - she only growled a couple of times and we totally ignored her!  Might only be a little step, but it feels a massive step as we couldn't do this yesterday.  Have weighed out her food for the day and will now give her little bits throughout the day and see if this helps.

Will ask David about getting blood tests done, getting her spayed sooner -- our main problem with this is that we can't actually get her in the car atm, so will be difficult getting her to the vets.  Have thought about getting her a muzzel, but not sure how we will get it on her in the first place(!), but also don't want to make things worse for her.............

With regard to behaving on her walks/with other dogs -- she is fine and just wants to go and play with them!  She is very responsive on a walk and we have got good recall with her, but saying that, we haven't taken her on a longish walk since Saturday, on David's advice, due to the problems getting her lead on her.  We are playing with her in the garden, the back door is always open - I know this isn't ideal and hubby says he's going to take her for a walk tonight - he's stronger emotionally than me, so if she has a go at him, he can cope better than me.

Offline fifer

• Site Member
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2009, 08:02:56 AM »
And apparently I've read in lots of places that spaying an aggressive bitch can make the aggression worse - not sure how true that is but your vet knows best anyway.  

Correct!  Neutering any animal while in this state can make matters worse the vet is spot on until the behaviour is sorted - don't spay.
Spaniels In Need

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2009, 08:10:27 AM »
And apparently I've read in lots of places that spaying an aggressive bitch can make the aggression worse - not sure how true that is but your vet knows best anyway.  

Correct!  Neutering any animal while in this state can make matters worse the vet is spot on until the behaviour is sorted - don't spay.

blimey sounds like you have a decent vet that knows what they are talking about  :D

I really hope that with this combination of a good vet and a good behaviourist that you have, you will be able to get there and I hope in the blood tests something raises it's head that is the cause of this and once treated all will be well

all the best and I hope things improve real soon for you  :luv:

Offline cindere528

• Site Member
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2009, 08:39:47 AM »
From your last post, you sound as though you are making progress with her. I expect progress will be a little slow at first, but slow but sure is the best way.

I didn't know about the potential problems of spaying an aggressive bitch, so I'm sorry for having suggested it  :embarassed:

I do however still think it's worth you trying Bach Rescue Remedy in her water. It can't do any harm and may do some good.

Good luck and please keep us posted on progress, however slow it may seem  ;)

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2009, 08:50:27 AM »
I woke thinking about your little girlie this morning and something popped into my head. One of my pups had a puppy tooth that was growing in the wrong place and he was a very feisty puppy (he's a lovely softy now) but he seemed to change overnight as his adult teeth came through. My point is, the puppy tooth that was in the wrong place was obviously causing him a lot of discomfort but the vet wanted to avoid operating on him as the adult tooth was likely to be in the right place.

It might be worth getting all her teeth checked as something like that (sudden onset of tooth pain) could be the reason why her behaviour deteriorated so rapidly. It's a long shot but worth ruling out :D

Good luck

Hannah xxx

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline LouiseAS

• Inactive
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2009, 08:59:56 AM »
I won't offer you any advice but just to say that I know how difficult it is living with a dog that has "issues".  Well done for getting in a decent behaviourist and for standing by your girl.
Louise & my beautiful girl Meg xx

Offline 1sttimecockermum

• Donator
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2009, 09:18:36 AM »
Another one here with no advice but I just wanted to say I admire your determination to help Lily and sort put her problems - many people would have given up at the first hurdle and it's heartwarming to hear how you are trying so hard for her, Best wishes   :-*
Owned by Dennis the Menace and Ruby Dooby Doo

Offline babushka

« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2009, 10:08:25 AM »
Can you try using a slip lead? you can make a big loop and just slip it over her head. When you take her for a walk what is she like when you take her lead off for free running? If her problem is frustration maybe even though she's only 6 months she may need a job to do to stimulate her mind. I know that if my 6 month old hadn't had any real exercise since Saturday she'd be like a raging bull. I do hope you get this sorted soon for all your sakes.

Offline ruby ruby doo

• Site Member
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2009, 10:53:10 AM »
Ruby had half her walk due to torrential rain ;llast night and she would not get back in the car for some time..keep up the exercise for sure? the slip lead means you don t have to get so close..lassoo effect which sounds ideal as being bitten is no joke!! from personal experience trying to muzzle a dog that does nt want to be is well nigh impossible ..we tried it to stop her eating undesirable dead objects... requires enormous coordination and spped to achieve it...it s good she still plays nicely with other dogs..that will relieve the frustration..I think this grumpiness sounds very hormonal..like us women we don t know what to do withj ourselves at that time of the month at times...I think it is the same for them the effects are quite suprising...Rnby dragged herself around like a depressed old woman when her hormones kicked in..a gneral check up for signs of pain would nt hurt i m sure! teeth or elsewhere..thinking of you  Jo x
jo & ruby =)

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2009, 12:02:58 PM »
I was going to suggest a slip lead too, you can just drop it over her head without having to reach for her and fiddle around her neck and to get it off you can just hold the lead forwards until it slackens and slide it over her head again without touching her. Good luck, it sounds like you have a good vet and a good behaviourist on your side so I hope you can get to the bottom of her issues.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/