Author Topic: Glands in neck?  (Read 514 times)

Offline Juno

Glands in neck?
« on: September 07, 2013, 12:39:44 PM »
Do dogs have glands in their necks, below the jaw like in humans?

Juno was at the vet yesterday as she's been a bit mopey and not herself and I suspected a lipfold infection as her breath was awful. She wouldn't let the vet get a proper look inside her mouth but she agreed with the smell as she's had it a couple of times before. The vet prescribed antibiotics - 24 hours after the first dose she's raring to go and no longer smells but what feels like a gland on the right side of her neck is up. Would you expect this in a dog with a suspected infection/been a little under the weather? Our vet (unhelpfully) closes at 11 on a Saturday so nobody to speak to!

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Glands in neck?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 01:19:09 PM »
I'm not too sure, but isn't a dog's Thyroid gland in the neck - much as it is in humans - and probably others too? Have a look at this link, it shows the glands in a dog's body, be aware some pictures are a bit graphic ( :020: )

The one you want is a grey dog, second row down.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=glands+in+dogs&qpvt=glands+in+dogs&FORM=IGRE
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline coopersmum

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 02:36:17 PM »
Shame, poor Juno. Glad the infection is clearing up though. In answer to your question, yes dogs do have glands/lymph nodes under their jaws like we do. They're known as the submandibular lymph nodes. I would expect them to be up with an infection involving the oral cavity, lips, ears, teeth etc. Would give the vet a ring, when they open, just to put your mind at rest though.

Offline Juno

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 03:02:33 PM »
Thanks very much to both of you. I have resisted Googling for fear of absolutely terrifying myself!

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 03:29:30 PM »
Thanks very much to both of you. I have resisted Googling for fear of absolutely terrifying myself!

I think Googling can work both ways tbh - it could worry you....or put your mind at rest  :D
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.