Author Topic: Puppy sleeping help  (Read 855 times)

Offline mitches

Puppy sleeping help
« on: January 28, 2014, 10:13:10 PM »
Bailey our 15 week puppy can be up at least 2 or 3 times a night. Its very tiring.
She often needs a pee and sometimes a poo and sometimes just looking for company.

She is in a crate in our kitchen/diner. The crate is covered with a blanket, has a few toys, a blanket and a doggy hot water bottle. We also have the radiator on which is near her crate, so she is definitely not cold.

My query is that she sleeps a lot in the evening, could this be why she wont sleep soundly during the night?
Should we try to keep her awake more in the evening?
We walk her 3 times a day for 15-20mins and take her out often to do the toilet.
She also gets plenty of attention during the day between me, my sons and hubby.

I appreciate she is still young and maybe expecting too much, but I often read on here other puppies sleeping through the night from an earlier age.

Just wondered if anyone has any advice or suggestions?

Offline lescef

Re: Puppy sleeping help
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 10:37:47 PM »
She is still very young, but you don't really want to get in the habit of just wanting company.
I don't know if it was the right thing to do but I used to wake my two up as puppies and play with them late evening. We also went to bed as late as possible -11.30 to midnight and got up earlier than we would normally have done to help the toilet training. Bailey will get there!
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline mitches

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 03:48:27 PM »
Thanks Lesley.
My oldest son takes her out for a pee after 11pm as he is usually up late. Later than me as I try to get some zz's before Im up with her during the night. Then Im up with her anytime after 6am.
Last night she was up 2sh and 4.30am!!
Elaine

Offline Mutley

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 05:30:59 PM »
My Archie likes the radio on at night - makes him think there's someone there! Recently he was listening to the cricket.

I'm lucky in that he goes to bed at 10.30 or 11.00 and wakes at 6 am or sometimes 6.30 or later.

I'm not sure whether reducing sleep time in the day makes much difference. Looking at it the opposite way, yesterday Archie slept a lot in the day, but it didn't affect his night time routine at all.  :huh:

Offline ShazzaC

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 05:41:43 PM »
Rightly or wrongly, we have never got up in the night for Blue. We started out by going to bed very late and getting up a lot earlier (we used to take it it turns because it was exhausting). There were always wees and poos in the crate, on the newspaper in the morning. But then we had a few dry nights from 12 weeks onwards, and from 4 months he was pretty much there. I just didn't want him to expect company every night! He goes happily into his crate now from 10pm onwards, and we get up to him around 6am, later if he has gone to bed later. They do get there in the end, and at 12 weeks, it could be just around the corner (unless pup has got used to seeing a friendly face at 2am  ;))

It is so tiring, like a baby I thought, but they all get there, hang in there    :-\

We also leave the radio on, very low, and usually the dishwasher, just to cover any external noises really.

Offline Welsh cocker

• Wilma
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 06:59:33 PM »
I agree that the radio can help... My pup used to listen to classic FM. We initially would keep her awake from 9pm with the aim of putting her to bed by 10.30pm.
Also, when are you feeing her? Can you feed slightly earlier, so she poops before bed? Also if she is awake through evening a little more she may be more likely to toilet more!  ;)

Offline mitches

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 08:42:33 PM »
We leave the radio on for her.
She is fed about 4.30pm and has the occasional treats after that.

Will just have to perservere and hope she stops waking up one of the times.
I think she would sleep all night if she was in beside one of us, but we really want her to sleep in her crate or a dog bed when she is older.

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 07:07:28 PM »
I remember the sleepless nights with Bea,

I had her in a covered crate in the front room, when she made a fuss (around every 2hrs) I took her straight out, used the word for what she had done ie "tiffy good girl" then straight back to bed with no fuss.

It's hard enough getting up when they need to go let alone when they want a cuddle!

I started sleeping on the sofa in the hope that eventually I would move upstairs, that did my back in so I ended up "puppy proofing" my bedroom put her in a big girls bed(no crate) and I enjoyed a lovely 6hrs sleep :luv:
Straight through no accidents :luv:

I think I was just very lucky and that Bea was not a fan of the crate.

I have to say the stars do look very beautiful at 2AM :005: :005:

Offline mitches

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 07:44:36 PM »
Will persevere, my hubby would let her cry, but its so hard :)

Offline mitches

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 08:32:40 AM »
Yay, Bailey only up 2 times last night and settled really quick both times.
I feel well rested today :)

Offline Mutley

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 11:21:04 AM »
Fantastic! Well done Bailey!