Author Topic: Photoshop  (Read 7319 times)

Offline blueroangirl

• Site Member
  • R.I.P Sweep 21.2.2004-7.12.2013
Photoshop
« on: January 24, 2015, 05:35:48 PM »
Hi want to get to grips with using my camera more now I have more free time. I'd like to be able to play around with images too. Is there any free software people would recommend please? Many thanks.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
Re: Photoshop
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 07:09:44 PM »
am interested in any replies. At the moment I make do with windows paint
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Pop-Star

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 08:15:55 PM »
This is exactly what I want to do too  :D

Did your camera come with a CD?  If so it should have software to manipulate photos.
By coincidence I loaded the CD that came with my new Nikon camera today  :shades:

Alternatively there is Microsoft Office Picture Manager, which should be on your PC.
If you right click your photo, and select 'open with', this option should be shown, select it and then click on 'edit pictures'.

Looking forward to seeing your photos  :D

Janet & Poppy

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 12:43:29 PM »
I have Photoshop Elements on the laptop, which unfortunately isn't free, but I've heard great things about GIMP, which is totally free:

http://www.gimp.org

I mostly edit photos on my iPad these days, there are so many great apps on iTunes.

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 04:48:43 PM »
I don't know if it's still the case but quite a lot of computer  (and some photography) magazines used to come with free CDs attached. I got photoshop elements from one of them back in the days when I was a windows user. I founded it brilliant.  There were lots of other similar programmes on the same CD. Some of them were trial versions that you had to pay for eventually but you might find you could test drive them before paying for the full version. I bought photoshop elements for Mac when I changed but it's not nearly as user friendly as the basic editing tools that came with the computer so I never use it now.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 09:00:56 AM »
It depends on what you do - GIMP is great free software but is quite complex to use and get to grips with. Picasa is another free one - not so many functions as GIMP and much easier to use so you might find it good to start with: http://picasa.google.co.uk/
Jane

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 12:08:23 PM »
I have been a fan of Corel Paintshop Pro for many years and through its various incarnations. By no means as expensive as the full blown Photoshop but still has lots of clever bells and whistles for some pretty imaginative photo manipulation. I think X7 is the current version. Serif is or used to have a free version and is quite straight forward to use.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 03:25:42 PM »
I have been a fan of Corel Paintshop Pro for many years and through its various incarnations. By no means as expensive as the full blown Photoshop but still has lots of clever bells and whistles for some pretty imaginative photo manipulation. I think X7 is the current version. Serif is or used to have a free version and is quite straight forward to use.

Yes Paintshop Pro is very good too for the price - I used to use it a lot until I bought Lightroom which I now prefer to PPro and Photoshop
Jane

Offline KeresleyKate

• Arvy
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2015, 10:18:20 PM »
Hi.  I use Lightroom. Its still pricey and is a digital darkroom rather than doing the fancy stuff you do in photoshop ( i have that too but don't use it). I've heard Googles Picassa is pretty good and free.
Kate

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2015, 11:01:57 PM »
OH uses gimp and Photoshop (freebie with my camera). He used to use a programme with was quite good (I'll have to ask him the name of it) but it had a 12 month free trial...
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)