Author Topic: Yearly vet check  (Read 1112 times)

Offline James+Carly

Yearly vet check
« on: January 03, 2017, 10:45:09 PM »
Oscar is due his yearly jab in two weeks time ( has hasn't had one since he was very young puppy). Do they have any side effects afterwards??

Also - he contrated kennel cough last month and someone mentioned to us that you can get a vaccination for that too? Some sort of spray the vet puts up there nose...? I've never heard of it - has anyone else had this/heard of it/recommend it???

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
Re: Yearly vet check
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 11:28:17 PM »
the KC vaccine is puffed up the dogs nose. Usually resulting in everybody in the room gets a free dose as well  :005:

I have given it to my dogs only if they are going into kennels. I have had one dog suffer from KC as a result of having the vaccine. Also there are variations of KC just the same as we have different types of colds and flu's.  Unless there was a serious local outbreak I would not bother
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 07:19:05 AM »
Henry had his annual vaccinations in November with no problems. He gets kennel cough vaccine only because he goes to kennels occasionally and they won't take him without it. As Henry STILL likes to get up on his back legs to greet people, the vet lets him jump up on her, puts an arm around him and shots the vaccine up into his upturned nose!
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 08:32:35 AM »
If he contracted it last month  and is recovered, maybe he will be immune to the current kennel cough germ?   My new rescue, on poor condition, has had it badly,  leading to a chest infection,and medication, but my other dog has only caught a light sniffle from him.     
Young healthy dogs don't usually react to boosters.  They may be slightly 'down' for a day or so.  Don't worry.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline Ambler54

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 05:08:03 PM »
Rosies vaccinations are due too and I have been putting off booking Her in as She really wasnt well after them when She was a pup..Really bad tum and it took ages to sort Her out.Will have to pluck up the courage and make the booking...its worse than it was taking the children for there injections.......
In America they only vaccinate every three years as the immunisation actually lasts quite a while and apparently you can ask to have a test to see if the dog needs the vaccination over here...can just imagine my vets reaction if I went down that route..

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 05:31:28 PM »
Rosies vaccinations are due too and I have been putting off booking Her in as She really wasnt well after them when She was a pup..Really bad tum and it took ages to sort Her out.Will have to pluck up the courage and make the booking...its worse than it was taking the children for there injections.......
In America they only vaccinate every three years as the immunisation actually lasts quite a while and apparently you can ask to have a test to see if the dog needs the vaccination over here...can just imagine my vets reaction if I went down that route..

Well I did just that after reading a very critical book on over vaccination. The only reason the vets offer yearly vaccinations is that they make more money that way, so I insisted on the 3 year rabies vaccination this time. You are right too about some of the other shots which are automatically done every year, they don't need to be and you can ask for blood tests to check the levels of anti bodies. Please don't be intimidated by your vets, - its your dog and your money and they are not in a position to dictate to you, you are THEIR customers!! My vet was a little taken aback but as he had no valid argument against it, he had no option but to agree. Its also a good idea to check the validity date in the pet passport aswell before you leave the surgery, as apparantly some vets are automatically only putting one year when the vaccination given is for 3!!!

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 06:31:33 PM »
I completely agree with bizzylizzy,

If your vet is pressuring you into having vaccinations yearly I personally would go somewhere else.

The new guidlines are for every 3 years and not yearly, I have Bea Titer tested every year to see if she needs any injections due to a low immunity , one thing to consider is insurance as some expect it done every year, with Bea's they are aware of her Titer testing and I'm sure that if she contracts something she should be immunised against then I will foot the bill.

It's NOT a guarantee but considering the possible side affects it's always worth making an informed decision.

Sharon.

Offline Markr64

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 07:24:10 PM »
Our vet has said that it is now three yearly except the KC which is still yearly if your dog needs it. Vets are not always so honest as they are all so poor that they need the money!  >:(

Offline carol pearson

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 06:05:35 PM »
Guide lines are every 3 years. My vet told me this  herself.

Offline lescef

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 07:15:53 PM »
I really would ask for a titre test or vaccicheck to test for antibodies. Nearly all dogs have some immunity and do not need boosters yearly. In fact they may never need boosters ever again. Over vaccination can lead to all sorts of problems in some dogs. If you intend to use kennels then he will have to be up to date boosters.
Maddie hasn't had a booster for four years  and Bramble three years. I had them vaccichecked and they had immunity to all three diseases.
No need for KC either unless they are going into kennels.
I find that younger vets are far more open to accept your wishes. It's the older vets who still believe in yearly jabs!
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2017, 10:57:13 AM »
I'm very wary over the yearly boosters as my Odie (a very healthy, male 2 year old) was diagnosed with Addison's Disease shortly after his 2nd year booster.  Of course it could just have been a coincidence but I was convinced it was connected to the jab, especially as AD is quite rare in dogs and usually affects young/middle aged female dogs and cockers are not a particularly prone breed.

However, as I'll be using kennels for Monty, I'll have to get him done yearly as they require it.  If the time comes when I don't require kennels, I'd have him titre tested.
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2017, 11:43:14 AM »
I have my lot done yearly, but after I have had any pup done on the 12 month anniversary, leave annual boosters to 3 months after the previous year's date - the vets say this is ok.

Of course if there were any other health issues they would be taken when necessary.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2017, 10:10:51 PM »
My vet usually tries to put you off the KC vaccine + I manage to take my dogs to kennels that don't require it either (as they know my dogs)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Henshallboys

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2017, 11:24:37 PM »
Ours had the yearly booster yesterday....we never have KC as they never stay in Kennels.
Carole & Alan....Bramble, Beri & Holly