Author Topic: Car Sick  (Read 1758 times)

Offline theshrew

Car Sick
« on: April 04, 2021, 01:36:24 AM »
I’ve never had a dog who’s had issues in the car before all my previous dogs have loved it.

Bailey doesn’t like it, he starts to salivate quite a lot and sometimes is sick.

I see you can buy some tables that could possibly help. Has anyone had any experience of this that could shed some light on what works please.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Car Sick
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2021, 06:53:19 AM »
I used to spray the travel crate with Adaptil about 15 minutes before a journey and it did seem to help calm Humphrey down, they do a wider range  of products now as well I think, I‘ve just seen one specifically for travel. If he‘s in a crate in the back, putting thick blanket or paddding under the crate can help to dampen the vibration and noise. We changed cars last year though and Humphrey now travels with a harness on the back seat and he‘s far happier.
The advice is generally not to travel on a full stomach but on long journeys Humph gets a little biscuit every now and again.
Hope that helps... :luv:

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2021, 08:23:44 AM »
I haven’t had a dog that has been car sick before so can’t help, but hope you find a solution

How old is Bailey?

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2021, 12:09:35 PM »
When I brought home Charley at twelve weeks old he was sick in the car.  He was sick the next time we went out, and he refused to get in the car and would run away when I opened the garage door. 
I solved the problem by not feeding him for some hours before going out, and I would make very short journeys to take him out for a walk.  When we arrived, and he wasn't sick, I gave him a few Doggie Chocs which he loved, and I would make a big fuss of him.  I continued this for some weeks, going out every day.  It took about seven or eight weeks of this and Charley loved to go out in the car.  It was obviously psychosomatic.  His first journey in the car made him sick so he associated car travel with being sick.  He was never car sick again, and we would travel to Souillac in France without any problems.  Indeed, he loved going in the car.
Try this and I'm sure you will solve the problem.

Offline Lobo do Mar

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2021, 07:33:48 PM »
Ginger works for some people in boats,
Worth a go?
I quickly searched to check if was OK for Dogs and it seems so, but I would check further

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2021, 09:01:20 AM »
We had a Scottie who was very car sick, even after just a few minutes. At wits end. Then we were going to a wedding in Devon, a long drive from London. I spoke to the vet, who issued a mild sedative, and she slept all the way, with no ill effects. She wasn't sick on the way, and did the return journey without a sedative, and was never sick again.
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo