Author Topic: Gut conditions  (Read 1046 times)

Offline phoenix

• Donator
Gut conditions
« on: April 15, 2021, 07:25:56 PM »
Vets have to work through a long list of possibilities in getting a diagnosis.
 One condition doesn’t seem to be on the radar, namely exocrine pancreatic insufficiency  (EPI). Two of our cocker members have been through  this in the last year, and knowledge and experience for vets  hasn’t changed since my springer was diagnosed  15 years ago.
Hence the global epi4dogs.com website  for information, research and forum was set up and is now endorsed by American veterinary boards.
This page explains the condition

https://epi4dogs.com/epi/epi-in-brief/

If your dog starving, thin and is starting to do greasy grey poos, insist on a TLI  test for epi.  Ask for tylan or oxytetracycline antibiotics, B12 and folate test, B12 injections. 
Allergies cause a wealth of problems.  Hypoallergenic food is a starting point before trying to introduce  suspect foods.  Saliva tests off the internet are a waste of money, as they only measure what your pet had that one day.  Blood tests are inaccurate, the only approved method is skin patches .
I’m not qualified to comment on IBD, ulcerative colitis,  IBS , haemorrhagic enteritis, , parasites, etc, but your vet is . Make sure they explain what and why they do something.  They are required to give you a copy of test results if you ask for them    (you should).      You are paying them for their expertise,  and should try to be informed before and after the appointment.  Too many of us seem to be dissatisfied and working through different vet practises. But remember the best vet is one who is prepared to refer to research,  to discuss cases with their peers,  and to talk and learn with you. Be pro-active! It’s so easy to leave quietly when you are upset and confused.
I found that reaching out to other people led me in the right direction, and I hope that I can do the same for others who need clarification. I know I sound like a vets nightmare,  but until I had Marti,  I was  too accepting.

In the past, epi dogs died , and vague reasons like cancer given. Now they live a full life.

RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Gut conditions
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 05:46:46 AM »
Many thanks for this post Pheonix, very interesting!

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 07:36:52 AM »
Thanks Phoenix very interesting

Offline AndyB

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2021, 05:26:03 PM »
My beloved Jazz had EPI in later life and Patsy, (Phoenix), was a wealth of knowledge and help to me.  I had been taking him the vets for months and he remained undiagnosed.  Eventually I put a post on COL describing his symptoms and Patsy responded and told me about EPI and strongly suggested this was what my boy was suffering from.  I did some research myself and went back to the vet with MY diagnosis.  Thankfully he took it well and congratulated me on my research.  Sadly Jazz only lived for about 9 months after his diagnosis but he was also diabetic.  I understand diabetic dogs can often also have EPI.