Author Topic: Water  (Read 1669 times)

Offline Lobo do Mar

• Donator
Water
« on: June 01, 2021, 01:26:42 PM »
Hi,
Salty is now 2 and is such a good dog these days - happiest when he's in someone's lap having a cuddle - he's my best mate  :D

Having had a dog before that was a complete mud magnet, I'm not at all complaining but am just curious to see how many other Cockers don't like water

Salty wont even go outside the door if its drizzling - its hilarious
He even wont go on the grass if its too wet  :005:
He loves the beach but wont even dip a toe (too busy scoffing dead crabs / everything else ...)

I've never scared him with water as a puppy or pushed him, he was just always like this,

He doesnt actually seem to be scared at all - just turns up his nose

He will sit still now, albeit with a peeved expression, when I wash him on the patio (slow water hose from the hot shower  and only on warm Portuguese days :005: ) not complaining but making his disgust obvious.

I thought cockers were famous for being water lovers - or is this quite common?

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Water
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2021, 02:08:06 PM »
Humphrey will walk around puddles, he hates them and also turns his nose up if its raining and makes a dash for the couch, if his coat‘s wet he whinges!  :005: but once he discovered the joys of swimming (encouraged by throwing in  a ball) he loves the water - but only if it involves action!!  :lol2:

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2021, 03:28:45 PM »
It's only a matter of time until water joys are discovered. Gemma was a late water baby. Once she discovered water didn't kill her, she  now takes every opportunity to dive in. Even if told no she will wander to the edge and just fall in with a " oh dear, just slipped" look. Her main downfall is she has no thought on how she is going to get out after her falling ins or flying leaps. Usually it's one of us on our hands and knees dragging her up on to the bank. Oh the joys of a tiny weeny spangle that thinks its the size of a great dane
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Lobo do Mar

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2021, 07:30:46 PM »
I don't think he'll get into it - last summer I lead him out to knee height on a very shallow, calm, sunny estuary bay and he swam around a bit with us, then just swam to the beach and shook himself off and looked reproachfully at me

My last dog, Lilly - a lab-beagle-street dog mix, used to come sailing with me in my 22 footer, and we would cruise around the North German East Frisian islands for weeks with her - couldnt keep her out of the water.
I havent even got Salty a lifejacket yet, I really dont think he would enjoy it. And my boat is my rest escape place  :D

The thing is, I am not even sure I want to encourage him - its nice having a dry un-muddy dog :)

I remember when Lilly rolled in a rotting seal carcass at the beach near Brightlingsea, Colchester. That was a nice drive home and even nicer trying to wash the putrid oily mess out.
And again  when she ran half a mile thru the B'sea mud ...

I'm just curious, if its really such a Cocker thing about water, and how many exceptions there are

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2021, 08:55:43 AM »
Dylan will be 6 in a few days, and he has never liked water. He will jump over a puddle or make a long detour to avoid getting his dainty paws wet. He corks himself up if it's raining until he finally has to go, in a mad dash as near to the house as possible so he spends the least time in the wet. Loves the beach, won't go near the water, not even the little runnels you get in the sand. And as for bath time, he thinks he's being water boarded or tortured with battery acid, it's whimpers and whinges, and strong protests when the warm water goes round his dangly bits.
I think he's a cat in drag.
However, when we go for a walk round the lake and see all the muddy dogs who have been in the water, I feel pleased I go home with a clean car and a clean dog.
Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline ips

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2021, 12:20:05 PM »
My one loves water, straight in it as soon as she is smells it. Sea, lake, river or muddy pond 🤣
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2021, 12:41:47 PM »
We are making a pond at the moment, it is filling up as I write. You should have seen Dylan's face when he saw what was going into this big hole. 'You are putting WATER in my GARDEN!!!!! Are you MAD!!!!!!!'
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Lobo do Mar

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2021, 12:50:45 PM »
A Cat in Drag  :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
That's such a good description of Salty too

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2021, 03:56:44 PM »
My last cocker wouldn’t dip a paw in a puddle let alone go for a swim, no matter what I tried

Ash, well not sure if she jumped or fell in the burn the other week, we just heard the splash 💦
She swam and got herself out we then took her to the shallow part of the river and friends dog went in but she wouldn’t

Not tried her again, may have to do that this weekend