Author Topic: Trapped wind after eating  (Read 1136 times)

Offline Glynis

Trapped wind after eating
« on: July 15, 2021, 10:48:15 PM »

Hello folks, can anyone help us?
Our 4 yr old show cocker, Monty, is struggling with trapped wind after eating, his tummy inflates approx 1hr after his meal.
To reduce the swelling and expel the air we rub his back and chest and take him for a walk. Other than this he seems to be in good health.
We are talking with the vet but would be interested in hearing if others had experienced this problem or have any suggestions to improve Monty's condition. Thank you

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Trapped wind after eating
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2021, 07:11:15 AM »
Hi and welcome to COL.
First thing that springs to mind would be to ask what food he has? Lots of dogs have intolerance to certain sorts of meat, some have problems with cereals, others find kibble hard to digest (a common cause for wind), soaking dried food in water for a few minutes can help with digestion. Does he gulp his food? There are bowls on the market designed to help them slow down...
People on here feed a wide variety of things for various reasons, so if you can give us a big more info I‘m sure someone will be able to help you. COL is always a good place to start, good that you found  us!  ;)

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2021, 10:07:27 AM »
Hello and welcome to COL

As bizzylizzy has said, there could be many things that can cause bloating, I found mine had problems with kibble and the new fresh pressed food, (of which it is said it dissolves in the stomach and does not swell up like some kibbles, making it gentler on the stomach.

I feed both mine cooked wet food, which may be an option to look at if kibble/cold pressed is the culprit.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Glynis

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2021, 03:28:13 PM »

Hi everyone, lots of thanks to bizzylizzy + Mudmagnets for your welcome + responding to my post. You offer interesting thoughts + suggestions. re  food + allergies + comments about kibble.

Monty's feeding history has been:
a. Puppy - Royal Canin puppy kibble. He was rather hyperactive + someone recommended Fish4Dogs kibble
b. Age 9m - 4y - Fish4Dogs kibble.
c. Approx 6m ago Monty started swelling. Vet recommended Royal Canin Vetinary Sensitive kibble. No signif improvement, so vet suggests we now try Chappie. Been feeding Chappie for 6 days.
Monty happily eats them all!!
He has had blood tests at the vet + they haven't found any allergies

Monty does eat his food quickly so we bought a puzzle bowl which has slowed him down a little.

So pleased I found Cockers Online! - Glynis

Offline Glynis

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2021, 03:33:42 PM »
Hi...forgot to say -  vet has also mentioned a possible 'bacterial overgrowth'. We are just off to the vets to collect some probiotic powder to see if that helps.
Any further comments or suggestions would be welcomed - Glynis

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2021, 06:34:18 PM »
Hi again - just wondered if you‘ve considered feeding raw? I do know its not for everybody but it does have the advantage of not containing any hidden additives that can potentially cause problems. You can begin with just giving one sort of meat and then adding others gradually to try and determine what, if anything, is causing the problem. There‘s a thread on here on raw feeding and quite a lot of info online, the raw food manufacturers are usually quite helpful. Not all vets are very enthusiastic and there are lots of opinions for and against but I switched Humphrey over a few years ago and have never looked back.

Offline Glynis

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2021, 10:32:19 PM »
Hi, thanks bizzylizzy for suggesting raw feeding. Must admit that we hadn't considered that approach, will keep an open mind + read up about this way of feeding. Enjoy your weekend folks - a bit hot for some dogs, Monty heads for the shade.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2021, 07:36:08 AM »
Hi, thanks bizzylizzy for suggesting raw feeding. Must admit that we hadn't considered that approach, will keep an open mind + read up about this way of feeding. Enjoy your weekend folks - a bit hot for some dogs, Monty heads for the shade.

ph34r Quite a bit of shade  here  in Germany at the moment,  >:( infact its a bit wet (as you may have heard!)!!
Have a good weekend too, and good luck getting Monty sorted!  :luv: