Author Topic: Vestibular syndrome?  (Read 916 times)

Offline Mari

• Site Member
Vestibular syndrome?
« on: July 08, 2021, 11:24:41 PM »
Almost two weeks ago Laurië got sick with what we assumed to be vestibular disease. Her eyes jerked side to side, she had a head-tilt, vomited a lot and kept falling on her ringt side. She had just had an ear infection, so it made sense to think it reached her middle-ear. She was put on antibiotics and prednisolone and started improving immediately. She was almost fully recovered, but then the symptoms started to return yesterday. She is still on medication and should not be relapsing, so I am now terrified that this is worse than vestibular syndrome. Does anyone habe experience with vestibular disease lasting more than a week, or symptoms recurring? Or experiense with other diseases causing head-tilt, nystagmus and balance issues?

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
Re: Vestibular syndrome?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2021, 11:49:01 AM »
Mari - I can't help other than to say that I send all my love to Laurie and lots of hugs. I understand that ones mind runs away with thoughts but try and be positive.  Have you spoken to the vet maybe a longer course of medication was needed.

I hope someone will be along soon to give advice.

Lots of  :bigarmhug:
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2021, 01:49:21 PM »
Hi Mari, - had been thinking about you recently and was wondering how Laurie was doing. Sorry but I can’t help much either other than to join Jaysmumagain in sending hugs and love to you both and lots and lots of healing thoughts. Do please keep us posted!  :luv:
 :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2021, 11:45:03 AM »
Milo had it when he was around 10 years old. He had a nasty ear mite infection that got worse and caused it. He was on antibiotics and prednisolone, and the infection cleared, but it took about three weeks. Vet was thinking about ear oblation, yikes, but fortunately it didn't get that far. However, he lost his ear drums and over the next few months went deaf. For the rest of his life (he lived til 15) we had a strict ear cleaning and steroid regime, drops every day, and he had no further trouble. We watched his ears like a hawk, he had narrow ear canals (so do I actuall).
Maybe Laurie needs a longer course of treatment, to really knock it on the head. Milo certainly did, it did not clear up in a week. Hope she recovers soon, it's awful seeing them like that. Ear pain is the absolute pits.

Lesley
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2021, 07:10:26 PM »
Glad to see you again and hear about Laurie.  I have no knowledge of vestibular syndrome o can't help with that, sorry.  Sending a gentle cuddle for your girl.  :luv: