Author Topic: Deafness, old age, thyroid?  (Read 915 times)

Offline tritonx

Deafness, old age, thyroid?
« on: July 17, 2021, 09:16:05 PM »
Fraser is now 12 years old and healthy though we worked through stomach problems for a long time, but he seems okay on that front. However, recently I've noticed changes in his behaviour. When I come into the house from the garage, he always used to greet me in the laundry room. Lately he's not showing up and when I go into the living room, I'll see him looking out the window or standing on the sofa by the window looking in my direction. He doesn't come straight away as though he's not sure it's me. One time he was looking out and I called his name a couple of times before he turned round. Took him to the vet who looked in his ears and they were clear. She tried testing for hearing by doing things like banging a tin tray with a metal spoon behind his head and he didn't respond. However, she couldn't be sure the distractions of being in the examining room were a factor. After about a week, the vet left a voicemail saying she'd been thinking things over, and wondered if there might be a thyroid issue, so I've made an appointment for a blood test and been googling for symptoms of low thyroid. He skin and coat seem okay though there is a bit of waxy leaking from his ears. He doesn't seem to have the perkiness he used to have, kind of low key and more whiny in general, especially in the evenings when he's restless and ask to be let out (or for a treat) several times before he settles. His cheerful morning greetings have gone away and nowadays he just does a small greeting and then lies down again until I've finished washing my face etc. All of these are smallish changes that I'm not sure are perhaps the changes of old age? I've read through the thyroid threads, but Fraser's combo of changes are not exactly like what I've read there. Have any of you had experience with a low thyroid cocker and/or changes in behaviour and personality due to old age? The blood test will answer my questions if it comes back positive though deafness isn't something that shows up in the various sites I've read.

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
Re: Deafness, old age, thyroid?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2021, 03:55:13 PM »
When Marley was about  11 and a half, we noticed her becoming sluggish on walks and putting weight on.  Her fur changed texture slightly and she got a bald patch on her tail.  She has always loved her walks, but it all became too much of an effort for her.  After being diagnosed with a thyroid problem, she took medication and quickly began to enjoy her walks again  :luv: and lose the extra weight.
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline tritonx

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2021, 05:35:39 AM »
Fraser’s behaviour has changed, but it’s so hard to tell whether he’s slowing down from age or hot weather. I haven’t noticed fur change or weight gain. His blood test is on Monday, so we’ll see what, if anything, shows up. I do think he’s a bit deaf, and the vet says it can be linked to low thyroid.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2021, 02:42:50 PM »
Well Ollie is 14 in November and I must admit years ago I noticed the heat made him out of sorts.  The last few days I noticed a marked decline in his mood, lying in hall and not moving to let you pass, no following, his stance has been odd like his legs were going, his stools have been loose and of course panting - despite the fan and cold wraps etc he has certainly been distressed by the weather - today it is cooler and this morning he actually pinched hubbies socks and seems more cheerful.

I am sorry I have no knowledge of thyroid, for us it is a different problem and I certainly feel a change in his personality and it rings true with steroid use, which sadly he has to continue on.

Ollie certainly has become deaf over the last months it is more marked and I think his vision is a little worse, but he can hear certain tones and his food clock is never off :005:

I think these things come along slowly and our babies are coping with them without us really noticing, not because we are neglectful - but more the cocker spirit is masking things until things do become obvious.

He was due for a visit to the vets on Thursday for a review and his yearly jab, but we put it of because the heat was in the 30's and I did not want to make him uncomfortable. 

Hope all his well on Monday but I am sure some of Fraser's change is weather related.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2021, 03:54:56 PM »
I have quite a lot of experience with Thyroid dogs has I have had two Cockers with the issue , one sadly developed kidney failure and died at 8, her sister who was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism a year earlier is still with us and (touch wood) doing fine. She became overweight listless and lost interest in exercising ,those where the only symptons for her, but it can range from sight loss to attitude change , hair loss , skin infections, the list goes on. Firstly yes vets for a test but you MUST ask for the full Thyroid Panel test (sent out) not the in house quick test. Secondly join the fb site for dog with Hypothyroidism, this is invaluable as they will help you to diagnose, you need to ask for email copies of ALL the result and forward them to the site. The reason for this is that many vets get the interpretation wrong and also any dosing and dosages wrong, frequently. The FB site ladies are excellent and experience and put the vets to shame. There have been many dogs being overdosed with meds so please heed my warning. Dont always assume the vet knows best as FREQUENTLY they dont