Author Topic: Rehoming a puppy  (Read 2010 times)

Offline micky1507

Rehoming a puppy
« on: July 27, 2021, 12:07:08 PM »
Hi all.

After some advice please from anyone with puppy buying experience.

I’ve seen an advert to re-home an 11 week old show cocker. The advert is very well written and the lady has been very genuine with her responses to me. The puppy isn’t KC registered and in their excitement to choose and collect her, no paperwork was handed over. Therefore there is no proof that hereditary diseases have been tested for. The stud dog is on a website but without paperwork how would you know he was the actual stud dog used??

Any suggestions on whether to continue with the possible adoption (costing the same as a new puppy) or should I walk away?? (I haven’t met the pup or family yet - am just doing my research first).

Thanks

Offline ips

Re: Rehoming a puppy
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 04:17:19 PM »
Sounds dodgy to me 😟
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline JohnMcL

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2021, 04:47:25 PM »
Sounds like a HIGH risk. The lady may sound very genuine but you have no way of knowing if she is or whether she was told the truth when she bought the pup.

I don’t believe you can be certain who the actual stud dog is so I’d walk away.

There are many red flags in your post. I would not proceed no matter what the explanation is.

Fair play for researching and good luck finding your new family member/ best mate.

John.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2021, 04:58:32 PM »
Assuming this is the UK I’ll go one better and say it sounds very dodgy to me not least its illegal!  Once a pup is sold it cannot be re-sold until 6 months old unless it has been returned to the original breeder.  Lucy’s Law applies.

No papers is a worry although the Kennel Club are running behind on issuing papers the pup should have a registration number as a minimum and I’d expect a mock up of the pedigree from the Cocker Spaniel Database! 

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2021, 07:00:37 PM »
Assuming the pup didn‘t leave its mother until 8 weeks (the very minimum), why would she want to rehome it at 11 weeks? If you were buying from a reputable breeder and you therefore paid the current prices, (which she would have presumably done) would you „forget the paperwork in your excitement“? I don‘t think so! Sorry, but it sounds  very very dodgy to me.......!!!

Offline micky1507

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2021, 07:49:11 PM »
Thank you all - and especially for the info regarding Lucy’s Law.

I’ve not pursued this puppy as it just didn’t feel right,, but instead have fallen in love with one that has a grade 2/3 heart murmur!

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2021, 10:21:08 PM »
Thank you all - and especially for the info regarding Lucy’s Law.

I’ve not pursued this puppy as it just didn’t feel right,, but instead have fallen in love with one that has a grade 2/3 heart murmur!

Wise. It I’m sure difficult to walk away. 

Is the pup with the heart murmur at a rescue? One thing to consider is veterinary fees, unless the murmur was discovered after insurance started, it’s unlikely you would get cover for any illness or procedure relating to the circulatory system or heart.  If the pup is through a rescue you may get help from them with costs.  Good luck with your search, Jayne

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2021, 04:26:03 PM »
You are a softie!
I agree pup number one seller was odd.  The pup should be microchipped. If so, it could be proved genuine,  or stolen. No microchip would shout puppy farm.
Good luck!
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.