Author Topic: Always ravenous ...why?  (Read 1418 times)

Offline rubyduby

Always ravenous ...why?
« on: January 31, 2023, 03:15:53 PM »
My 13 yr old Cocker Spaniel has become ravenous, she has always had a good appetite, but now she literally pesters and whines for food, she is currently fed 4 times a day due to having Pancreatitis, but this hunger seem to come on fairly rapidly and it is driving me mad, at night she will whine and pester until its feeding time, and when she is eaten she still looks for other food and pesters for anything we have. She has had a blood test to look for evidence of Cushings or Diabetes, but nothing is obvious, I tried to ask the vet if there was anything else out of kilter that might point to something else, but she was a foreign lady and she didnt seem to grasp what I was asking. Topa is on Thyforon for her hypothyroidism , and had a slight increase in dose , I did wonder if it was that, but I am concerned it could be a tumour or anything, has anyone come across this and can give me some ideas.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
Re: Always ravenous ...why?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2023, 04:27:44 PM »
I’m afraid Pearl was like this in the December before she died at end of January two years ago.  With hindsight I wish I’d just left a bowl of food out for her.  She was only 9 so the thought of a tumour didn’t occur to me until after Christmas when it became apparent she was losing weight and condition. 

At 13 I would be giving as much food as she wants and leaving a supply over night for her as well x

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2023, 04:00:29 PM »
At the moment Topaz isnt losing any weight, and a tumour has occurred to me, but she is so stressed going to the vet, I darent risk taking her , last time it brought on Pancreatitis..

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2023, 04:51:29 PM »
Ollie has been steroids for 2 years and this has caused weight gain and increased his appetite dramatically.
But while this is an effect of a health condition I did try hard to prevent weight gain, but at 15 and very sedate in his ways there is not much I can do - I must admit he has always been a little monster for whom his name was well chosen. It has always been like another Oliver "Please Sir can I have more"

The only thing I can say is Ollie seems to have little interest in walks now but his in built clock is amazing, in fact hubby and I can tell time by him and it is all around his food times, he never over sleeps or misses and if I am busy doing something a couple of whines and an impatient waddle and he is off headed for the kitchen.  His day really evolves around his meal times and his master going out and coming home.(receives treats from Hubby)

We did also think of Cushing due to steroid use but honestly I think it is just a case of getting older and seeing this as the exciting times of the day and there little mind is over run with the thoughts.  Ollie too as four feeds a day although I do keep the first and last very small meal as a need to give him medication.

I am sorry that I cant help other than think it is age related in some way.  Thinking of my Mum in law, who at 83 also runs her day around her meal times.

The old saying "the Impatience of Youth" well with Ollie it seems old age brings another type of impatience and that is time is short and I'll make the most of it!.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2023, 01:42:39 PM »
Thankyou for your comments, I am sure some of her issues are age related, my curiousity was why she seemed to have slowed down more in a very short space of time, her hearing and eyes (not cloudy) do seemed to have gone noticeably worse within a couple of weeks

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2023, 07:50:17 PM »
Several cockers on here have had pancreatitis that develops into Epi, exocrine pancreatic insufficiency.   The pancreas is worn out.  There are symptoms that include desperate hunger because they can’t digest their food and will lose weight .     The poo is greasy looking yellow / grey and like  a cowpat or Mr Whippy.
There is a specific blood test your vet could do, called cTli .  Most vets know nothing about epi. My vet eventually saved my dog just in time. Then giving enzymes in the food replaces the missing ones and the dog improves with B12  and antibiotics,  normal low fibre food. It is a life long condition, but my  dog lived with it for eight years till she was 12 .The best information is on our website:
www epi4dogs.com
All breeds of dogs can suffer from this . Vets suffer from lack of experience with it. Any questions you have,do please send me a private message. Do suggest it to your vet, they may be grateful.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.