Author Topic: Eye sight loss  (Read 1386 times)

Offline rubyduby

Eye sight loss
« on: February 15, 2023, 07:57:05 PM »
My Cocker , Topaz is nearly 13 and I have suspected she has had failing eyesight for a little while, but suddenly it is more noticeable, seems to have happened in just a few weeks, anyone else come across this, she doesnt have grey eyes and I can see any excessive blueyness? Is there anything it could be that is actually treatable, she gets very stressed at the vet, so dont want to take her unless there is a chance they can help

Offline Qwerty

Re: Eye sight loss
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2023, 01:10:58 AM »
Just seen this while browsing (can’t sleep, my pup in hospital with pancreatitis). My last spaniels eyesight definitely faded from maybe age 8/9. However, she had progressive retinal atrophy (PRA). Lots of breeders screen for this to avoid passing it on. I truly can say that her quality of life wasn’t impacted at all. Her eyesight never went completely and all her other senses must have compensated.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
Re: Eye sight loss
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2023, 08:32:44 AM »
My boy Ollie had some sight deterioration from about 12 years old, the vet noticed his eyes were a bit glazed, but he seemed to get on with it - I think like many problems health wise with age there is some adjustment before just adapting.  He was troubled with hearing later on, but his sense of smell was 100% :D

I honestly don't think they is any drops, but maybe the vet could offer advice.

Us humans(me) have artificial eyedrops for dry eyes.

As Qwerty mentions I think Topaz other senses may compensate.

Hugs to Topaz.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed