Author Topic: My dog is not walking  (Read 3228 times)

Offline Pandarilla

My dog is not walking
« on: May 17, 2023, 08:08:32 AM »
Hi, new to this forum and I have looked in health topics but can’t find advice. My dog’s energy was very low yesterday so took her to the vet, no obvious signs of pain. The vet run a full set of blood tests no issues. They tended towards the possibly that the source of the dogs issues was nerve pain impacting on spine or an ortho issue. Yesterday, Millie was given a pain injection (she drooled for 3hrs after this at home) and follow up meds  Gabapentin, Diazepam and Metacam. I was expecting Millie to be up and about but she is now not walking, just stands in the one spot and won’t move for anything e.g calling, food, water or to find me. I’m taking her back to the vet but has anyone ever experienced this with their cocker? Getting worried now.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: My dog is not walking
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2023, 08:46:09 AM »
Firstly, welcome to the forum.

Not sure, but I wonder if she is feeling confused by all the meds all at once.  I know myself that a bombardment of chemicals can  put my senses out of balance.

Maybe some of the medications need a few days to take affect in the way you want - long term pain relief etc.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Pandarilla

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2023, 09:06:24 AM »
Ah, okay that makes sense and she was knocked for six with the pain injection. I have given her all three meds this morning and I will just step back and give her some time. I’m so use to a cocker that runs around and I probably need to be a bit more patient with her recovery. I think it’s the not knowing the source of her trouble that is annoying me. She has taken water and some food this morning so that is good. Thank you

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2023, 11:09:07 AM »
Firstly welcome and while I have no advice, I just wanted to say that we have so many folks that pop on the site now and again and I hope some advice will flow through to you.

Keep us advised on any updates and I do hope you get some positive news.  Our cockers are so precious and when they hurt we struggle too.  As Muds mentions the sudden rush of medication maybe a problem this morning.

Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Pandarilla

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2023, 05:53:53 PM »
Thank you Jay. Millie is eating and drinking water but there is a definite problem with her hind legs, she will walk straight then she will wobble or her legs will spread out. She can’t go upstairs. I’m minding my beautiful lass and giving her meds when due. I have a phone call with the vet on Friday and we will discuss next action…possibly an MRI? Hopefully not and she will be better by then. I would welcome any tips on how to sneak tablets in to her. Millie is not a chomper , she daintily eats every small morsel so notices the pills. I tried to just pop one in her mouth but then she stops swallowing and the pill melts which is horrible for her. Thanks folks.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2023, 08:20:38 PM »
Hello, sorry your girl is poorly, it's very worrying.  That's quite strong medication, so she is probably out of kilter. Good that she is eating and drinking.  An mri might be a good thing just to see what is going on, or not. Would peanut butter or soft cheese be any good for hiding the tablets?  Kep us posted please.  Everything crossed for you both.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2023, 07:12:45 AM »
Hi and welcome! My dog didn’t react well to either Metacam or Gabapetin, so it is possibly a reaction but if you have any doubts on the cause, I‘d strongly recommend an MRI also, in the meantime, keep her exercise to a minimum and be very careful about jumping on and off things, including stairs.
It may be just simply be a case of a strained muscle or something simple  but if it is a back problem it needs treating early. Not trying to frighten you but I‘m unfortunately speaking from experience.
All the best! Please keep us posted!  :bigarmhug:
  Jayne + Humphrey x

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2023, 09:53:34 AM »
How is Millie today, as for her tablets, years ago I was told having a meat paste - just checked it is still made and 90p in Sainsbury and Tesco, the vet said paste the spread around pill, it worked.  With Harry it would not be a problem :luv:  Forgot it is Princess meat or fish pastes

I think possible that a scan is the way forward, then you will have a clear idea.

The suggestion it is nerve pain impacting the spine and the meds she is taking indicate that is what they are treating her for.   To be honest, I took a similar cocktail when I had back problem, even without the back pain I spent so much time groggy from the Diazepam and Garbapetin also another aniti spasm med too.

Best wishes

Offline Pandarilla

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2023, 08:24:42 PM »
Thanks everyone for your comments. Wee update on Millie. So her energy is much better and I had to stop her running round our garden. She jumped on and off the couch today and I’m trying to stop that also, just keeping her activity low. I hide her pills in small parcels of ham and that works well.  I am concerned with her back right leg. There is a definite issue there, she can walk strait then her legs splay out or she slightly wobbles. I notice her right paw has a tendency to splay out almost to a right angle at times.  I have a vet call tomorrow, I suspect that he will recommend we work through the course of meds then if the issue is still there to get a scan.  I wonder if anyone has had the issue of the paw splaying out like that.

On the plus side it’s great to see my wee lass back with some energy. She is confined to only walking in our garden at the moment and we are carrying her up stairs etc.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2023, 09:16:47 PM »
That's good there is an improvement, trying to keep her off the couch is a good idea, but it won't be easy!  I hope the vet can offer some insight tomorrow.  Thank you for the update.

Offline Pandarilla

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2023, 10:22:54 AM »
A wee update on Millie. She is back to her normal self and the medication she was given helped enormously. She finished her meds on Monday , her energy and spirt is back to normal and she has been out with the dog walker for the last 3 days who has been keeping a close eye on her legs. So far so good.  I was a bit afraid that once we took her off the medication that it might return but that doesn’t seem to be happening….fingers crossed it remains so. Thanks again for all the advice here.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2023, 02:02:39 PM »
That’s good to hear!!  :clapping:
Thanks for the update!  :luv:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2023, 04:41:43 PM »
That's great news  :clapping: :clapping:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2023, 06:44:29 PM »
Great news, that’s such a relief.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2023, 08:37:41 AM »
So happy to read this.

best wishes