Author Topic: Do we go to the vet or not??  (Read 15155 times)

Offline madondogs

• Site Member
Re: Do we go to the vet or not??
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2007, 12:13:59 AM »
how is Jersey and Disney doing now?

IF you are not happy with a vets advice I would make a point of not using them if at all possibble (sorry if that sounds stupidly obvious and patronising but I dont like alot of vets!) - I am incredibly fussy about my vets and actually am registered with two different vets so I can choose dependant on the problem I am going with.

For your own reassurance I would keep an eye on the colour of the gums,  they should be a nice salmon pink colour - if they are pale this could be an indication of poor circulation or internal bleeding.  If they are red this could indicate infection.

Your dog should have a good CRT (capillary refill time) to do a CRT - press down on the gum, this displaces the blood in the gum - making them temporarily paler, the colour should return within a verbal count of one two.  If it does not this is an indication of poor circulation.  Whilst you are touching the gums you can note how they feel -wet? or sticky?  if they feel sticky it is a good chance your dog is dehydrated.

To check for signs of dehydration - pinch the scruff of the neck.  If the skin is pliable and springs back into place then your dog is not dehydrated, if the skin remains tented then she is dehydrated and could well need rehydration therapy.  You can help with this by syringing water into her mouth HOWEVER if the skin is tented then I would consider seeking a vet for advice - especially IF the CRT is slow and the colour of the gums is either pale or inflamed.

Good luck and please keep us posted.
Heidi

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2007, 07:40:24 AM »
Heidi, I actually work in a vets but wasn't happy with the way they treated some of the animals so moved my dogs to another one. The one we now go to is a large hospital type with a lot of vets so am unlikely to see the same vet twice in a row (thankfully in this case  :005:) I agree that you have to have faith in the vets you use and I have lots of faith in the nice hunky one  :luv: :005: :005: Pity he doesn't work everyday  :lol:

Anyway, Disney is now back to normal - I am now going to wean him off the sensitivity control food and get him back onto his normal food and pray to the heavens that it doesn't recur.

Re Jersey - I have to stop her antibiotic and see if that helps. I also have to give her some Lectade which I have in the house anyway. There has been no more vomiting overnight (well not that I can see anyway but as it was just liquid she was bringing up it could have just dried into her vetbed  :-\) but there has been some horrid green diarrhoea  ph34r She is sitting up on the computer chair with me and is not interested in playing with Aspen at all - the poor boy looks so confused  :005:
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2007, 08:28:49 AM »
I'm sure you're doing all the right things Gill, and having cuddles with Mum has got to be the best medicine  ;)  :D

Pleased to hear Disney is feeling better, get well soon Jersey  :luv:

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2007, 08:35:10 AM »
Good news re. Disney and I just hope Jersey starts to show signs of a recovery.  It doesn't sound very pleasant poor thing :huh:  What a worry.
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2007, 09:05:59 PM »
Any improvement with Jersey Gill?
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2007, 09:16:57 PM »
Any improvement with Jersey Gill?

Afraid not  :'(  She ate a little bit of food at lunchtime but then had diarrhoea in the afternoon. I don't know where it is all coming from as she is eating next to nothing. She is still showing no interest in anything and is just sleeping. Tomorrows appt can't come quick enough - I just hope someone can get to the bottom of things as we are on the 8th day now and she is getting worse instead of better

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2007, 09:33:02 PM »
Oh Gill you must be so incredibly worried. I'm thinking of you and have all my fingers crossed that she gets better soon.

:luv: :luv:
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2007, 09:58:05 PM »
Oh Gill you must be so incredibly worried. I'm thinking of you and have all my fingers crossed that she gets better soon.

:luv: :luv:

Ditto, roll on tomorrow.  I so hope they can get to the root of the problem Gill.  Good luck ;)
Mary & Lottie x

Offline scooby's mum

• Site Member
  • Scooby & Misty's Mum
« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2007, 12:44:20 PM »
Oh no, poor Jersey (and poor you) - so hope she's OK, you must be worried out of your mind Gill.

Crossing everything for you all  :luv:
Love Joanne, Misty & Scooby

Offline madondogs

• Site Member
« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2007, 03:41:15 PM »
At least working in a vets you have what you need right at hand.  i.e advice and support (along with meds etc)

I hope there have been signs of improvment for Jersey, since your post of yesterday?

fingerscrossed for you, and glad that all is well for Disney currently/

Heidi

(no comment re hunky vet - you naughty girl!  >:D :005: )

Offline PennyB

« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2007, 04:19:59 PM »
Fingers crossed you sort this out soon
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2007, 05:05:47 PM »
I have only just caught up with this thread.

Thinking of you and Jersey Gill tonight - hope you manage to find out what's wrong with her tomorrow

Cx
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2007, 05:22:32 PM »
Well, she has eaten more today than she has the past 8 days which I suppose is a good sign but it is just coming straight out the other end.  I've got a decent poo sample (believe me, there was plenty!!) so I will take that along with me tonight and get it sent off. She is sleeping on the computer chair at the mo so still not herself in that respect - she should be dragging Aspen along the floor by his ears by now  :005: I suppose he better enjoy it while it lasts  ::)

Offline cheerynature2

• Site Member
« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2007, 07:06:44 PM »
what a worry! my fingers are crossed all is o.k :D you did the right thing holding on and seeing if this would clear up on its own. ::)

Offline ClareB

• Site Member
« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2007, 07:30:29 PM »
Sorry to hear Jersey's no better, Gill.  I hope she picks up soon...
Clare, Milo & Mocha