Author Topic: Orijen 'biologically appropriate' food - anybody tried it?  (Read 2003 times)

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Orijen 'biologically appropriate' food - anybody tried it?
« on: August 09, 2007, 04:45:13 PM »
I have seen good reviews of this 'biologically appropriate' Canadian food and it looks very interesting. It doesn't contain any cereals, it is 70% meat and 30% fruit and veg plus probiotics/holistic herbs. This is the ingredients list...

Composition Featuring Fresh Canadian Ingredients:
Fresh chicken meat, chicken meal (low ash), turkey meal, steamed russet potato, fresh-caught Northern Whitefish, chicken fat, fresh whole eggs, salmon meal, salmon and anchovy oils, tapioca, chicken broth, sunflower oil, flaxseed, Atlantic kelp, steamed carrots, spinach, peas and tomatoes, sun-cured alfalfa, apple fiber, psyllium seed, rosemary extract, yeast extract (MOS), glucosamine HCl, cranberries, black currants, chondroitin sulfate, Chicory, burdock and marshmallow root (FOS), rosehips, stinging nettle, marigold flowers, L-carnitine, fennel seed, chamomile flowers, milk thistle, chickweed, summer savory, Iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei, Bifidobacterium (B. bifidus), Saccharomyces (S. boulardii), mixed tocopherols (source of vitamin E), choline chloride, vitamin A, vitamin D3, niacin, riboflavin, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin B12, folic acid, biotin, pyridoxine (source of vitamin B6).
ORIJEN Dog Food does not contain artificial preservatives.

Botanical Inclusions per kg:
Marshmallow root (Althea officinalis) 500 mg, Chicory root (Cichorium intybus) 500 mg, Stinging nettle (Urtica dioica) 400 mg, Burdock root (Arctium lappa) 350 mg, Fennel seed (Foeniculum vulgare) 300 mg, Marigold flowers (Calendula officinalis) 300 mg, Chamomile flowers (Matricaria recutita L.) 300 mg, Milk thistle (Silybum marianum) 200 mg, Summer savory (Satureja hortensis) 150 mg, Chickweed (Stellaria media) 150 mg

It's available on Zooplus at £39.90 for 13.5kg so not cheap. Has anyone else heard of or tried it?
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline supaspaniel

• Site Member
Re: Orijen 'biologically appropriate' food - anybody tried it?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 04:54:10 PM »
Not heard of it Nicola, but it sounds quite good :D I like the idea of glucosamine and condroitin in it and all the ingredients are quite impressive..I cant afford it at the mo tho :-\ otherwise I would give it a try ;)

Zen Dog...he knows not where he is going, for the ocean will decide. Its not the destination....its the glory of the ride.

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 05:04:32 PM »
I've never tried it, erm, fed it to the dogs  :005: but there are a couple of other dog forums I'm on and it's a very popular and high quality food. Apparently the dogs like it and seem to do well on it. The only reason I haven't done it myself is there are no distributors near me so I'd have to order online and pay shipping  :-\ (I'm afraid I won't time it right and run out, then I'd have a rebellion on my hands  :005:)

I'd love to try it for mine though. If you are thinking of  trying some I'd say go for it.

Here are a few comments from one of the forums:

http://www.itchmoforums.com/dog-food-experiences-by-brand/orijen-adult-t1167.0.html
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 05:19:19 PM »
Thanks Michelle, the more I read about it the better it seems... I might just order a small bag and give it a try. It could be a way of getting Tilly to go barf without her realising it  :shades:  The only slight drawback is the cost, it is very expensive but if it's really that good then I suppose it'll be worth it!

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 06:57:12 PM »
Oh that looks interesting  ;) ...the glucosomine and chondroitin appeals to me too because of Daisy's foot.  Think I pay about £37 for 15kg of Burns, so not so much more ...may give it a try ...thanks  :D
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline LouiseAS

• Inactive
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 12:03:59 PM »
I'm going to order some as having a food crisis with my 2 at the mo.

Louise & my beautiful girl Meg xx

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 12:07:29 PM »
I've looked at this one too but don't really want to import a food (carbon footprints and all that :lol:) and also because there may be problems with supply - not so long ago people were raving about Timberwolf which was also available through Zooplus but it isn't anymore as they couldn't maintain regular supplies.
Jane

Offline LouiseAS

• Inactive
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 02:08:27 PM »
I've looked at this one too but don't really want to import a food (carbon footprints and all that :lol:) and also because there may be problems with supply - not so long ago people were raving about Timberwolf which was also available through Zooplus but it isn't anymore as they couldn't maintain regular supplies.

That's certainly food for thought  :005: will go to PAH and see what they do.  I pass it every day so not adding to environmental crisis  ;)
Louise & my beautiful girl Meg xx

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 02:13:22 PM »
Those things are making me think as well (along with the cost) but by the ingredients it is probably the best food I've seen, definitely better than anything in Pets at Home! My lot are on AG at the moment and doing great but this just seems... better! What to do?!  :huh: :005:

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 02:18:02 PM »
If it is an import, rather than a mainstream UK brand - then what would happen if it was subject to recall? Would you be notified by the UK distributor?  :huh: I doubt there would be widespread publicity in the UK, unlike if it was a UK manufactured product  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2007, 04:46:22 PM »
If it is an import, rather than a mainstream UK brand - then what would happen if it was subject to recall? Would you be notified by the UK distributor?  :huh: I doubt there would be widespread publicity in the UK, unlike if it was a UK manufactured product  :-\

No idea, another thing I need to check out! I'm going to order some samples of it to see if they like it first of all.