Author Topic: Zack Getting Neutured To day  (Read 2431 times)

Offline Jackie57

• Site Member
Zack Getting Neutured To day
« on: August 17, 2007, 10:31:34 AM »
Left Zack at the vets this morning to get neutered felt so bad leaving him we got the evil eye when the vet was taking him away.

He is 9 months old and still has his fluffy hair  also he has a long tail so when the vet looked at him he asked what kind of dog he was we said a COCKER SPANIEL and he said he looked like a small AFGHAN :005:
Jacqueline & Zack

Cazzie

Re: Zack Getting Neutured To day
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 10:32:37 AM »
Afghan  >:(  I hate that feeling when you leave them, let us know how he is later  :luv:

Offline LouiseAS

• Inactive
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 10:34:38 AM »
It is horrible leaving them.  I usually end up sitting by the phone waiting for the vet to ring and am no good to anyone.

Hope Zack gets on ok.
Louise & my beautiful girl Meg xx

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 10:38:00 AM »
Hope he gets on okay, and that the time flys by for you. I have to leave both of mine at the vets on the 29th and i'm dreading it already. ph34r

:lol: Afgan! Jarvis was called an afgan by everyone we met for months and months, so i bought clippers.  :005:
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline Jackie57

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 10:55:04 AM »
Thank goodness its not only zack being called a Afghan.
Jacqueline & Zack

Offline loujo

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 10:56:26 AM »
Hope everything goes ok for Zack.  Let us know how he is later.

Sending cocker hugs and kisses  :-*
Louise xxx
(and Robbie 10yrs old and Alfie 7yrs old)

Offline charliesdad

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 11:39:50 AM »
Hope he's OK.  Charlie is the same age, 9 months, and I'm thinking that maybe he should now be neutered as he's getting a bit boisterous and running away on walks!  Do you think this is the right age?  I read on previous threads that after 18 months is best- what made you go for this age?

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 11:55:16 AM »
Hope he's OK.  Charlie is the same age, 9 months, and I'm thinking that maybe he should now be neutered as he's getting a bit boisterous and running away on walks!  Do you think this is the right age?  I read on previous threads that after 18 months is best- what made you go for this age?

The boistrous behaviour and running away is just the (dreaded ph34r) teenage period and should pass in a few months, i'm not sure if castration would make any difference, as by the time the hormones are sorted after the op (which also takes a few months as far as i know) he may have come out of the other side anyway... :huh:
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 12:01:52 PM »

I wouldn't rely on neutering to solve any behavioural/training issues - it is not a quick fix solution; sometimes it works for some behaviours, more often it doesn't  ;)

Molo was a total nightmare for recall when he was a teen - I used a long line for nearly 12 months, and held off neutering him......he is still entire, and comes back fine now  ;) Similarly, boisterous behaviour is age related; and certainly won't be cured by neutering  ;)

I hope Zack recovers well - are you planning on camping on the sofa with him tonight ?  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Jackie57

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 12:02:08 PM »
Charliesdad

We decided to get Zack neutered as he was getting a bit dominant with both my sisters dog and my mothers dog they are both neutered so he was the only in-tack male when they all got together.
Jacqueline & Zack

Offline Cobaltblue

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2007, 12:59:58 PM »
I'm sure Zak will be fine Jackie don't worry.

William was neutered last Friday and he still has his fluffy coat and tail too (he nearly 8 months now).  He seemed to recover almost instantly as the next day he was waiting by the front door with the lead in his mouth ready to go for a walk!  I've taken him out for 15 mins or so (just around the block) twice a day since and he'll go over the park for a good run on Sunday (the day after his antibiotics finish).  Anyway he seems full of beans  :005:

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2007, 01:23:13 PM »
Charliesdad

We decided to get Zack neutered as he was getting a bit dominant with both my sisters dog and my mothers dog they are both neutered so he was the only in-tack male when they all got together.

What sort of behaviour was he demonstrating Jacqueline? It is unusual for a 9 month old puppy not be be put firmly in his place if he is being dominant by older dogs; but puppy play is usually tolerated and indulged  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Jackie57

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2007, 02:04:07 PM »
Charliesdad

What sort of behaviour was he demonstrating Jacqueline? It is unusual for a 9 month old puppy not be be put firmly in his place if he is being dominant by older dogs; but puppy play is usually tolerated and indulged  ;)

Mum's dog is 10 years old my sisters dog is the same age as Zack and mums dog usually stays out of the way as both pups can be a bit trying when playing. We didn't get Zack neutered for that reason only but we thought that the time was right for him if there is ever a right time. He had started to jump on my sisters dogs back and getting a bit excited.
Jacqueline & Zack

Offline Jackie57

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2007, 02:40:16 PM »
Sorry I also meant to say that we where going to get Zack neutered anyway as I had been advised by the vet if I wasn't going to breed him. After losing my Dalmation in January to Cancer I was shocked to find out that by the time it was diagnosed it was already to late and he had only been unwell for two weeks.
Jacqueline & Zack

Offline Jackie57

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2007, 03:32:49 PM »
Just got Zack home not to impressed with being left but he seems to be in good enough form.
Hated the collar and we start the antibiotics tomorrow. Poor we man doesn't no what has happened to him. Will give him lots of  :luv:
Jacqueline & Zack