Author Topic: minging mutt eats a mouse  (Read 2667 times)

Offline sabrino

• Site Member
minging mutt eats a mouse
« on: September 15, 2007, 08:06:13 PM »
Nut sure whether this should be under food or behaviour so I just put it under puppies.

As many of you know Milo, like many other dogs has a thing for eating gross things. Incl poo of any variety, pref fox, slugs, snails, etc but today we walked him and he ate not one but two dead mice, one that was decomposing and full of maggots. I have to say I was nearly physically sick and am ashamed to say Milo is shut outside because I can't bear to have him near me as its making my skin crawl. HELP! I know dogs are dogs but I've never had a dead mouse eating one before. This follows him eating a rotten dead bird last week. Usually when he finds stuff on walks he drops it when I say 'leave it', throw a toy or offer a trade but these things are just tooo good to him!

Does anyone else dogs eat such things and what do you do about it? I will ask my dog trainer but I'd like to hear what you do with your minging mutts!

Sabrina
Sabrina, Milo & Lupin x

Offline ruby ruby doo

• Site Member
Re: minging mutt eats a mouse
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 09:58:16 PM »
sabrino that is vile!  :shades:  Yeah i don t feel like kissing my mutt when she has eaten horse poo..slugs or snails..have nt come accross dead animals yet..but she is rather partial to my daughters smelly socks...Why do they eat such rubbish..Is it a common sense departure? Generally i think she is very intelligent..but non food?what is that all about?? ph34r
jo & ruby =)

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 10:08:40 PM »
:embarassed: :embarassed:  Fern has a rather different delicacy and that is MOLES  ph34r She finds them and then plays with them then eats them  ph34r Unless I get to her first  ;)

The last one she got she actually let me take it no bother but it was still alive and I jumped and it ran so she got it again and handed it to me  :angel: but this time the little mole decided it had had enough and went to bite me  >:( >:(   (Sorry to animal lovers but I disposed of it in the end  ph34r )

Offline Sian P

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 10:42:50 PM »
Murphy eats all of the above too. I had the pleasure of removing a dead mouse from his jaws just the other day. Oh and the discarded tissue, yuk!
Sian & Murphy x

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 11:31:15 PM »
A strange thing happened to me 3 days ago... with the lovely weather I've had the back door open all the time and there is a field behind the house and we quite often get the odd mouse coming in. Anyway I was on the armchair having a cuddle with Dave and he spotted a baby mouse scooting in and running across the room. He leaped off my lap and pounced on it I jumped up and picked him up the mouse moved again and Dave slipped out of my hands and pounced on the mouse and I think............... he just swallowed it  :o He did lots of lip licking and smacking afterwards and I couldn't find the mouse anywhere the room we were in doesn't have much furniture and I can't see how it could have got away without me seeing it.

I was really worried but he seems fine... who needs cats!

Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline JoanneM

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007, 11:43:13 PM »
MILs cocker eats dead mice too. She parades with them in her mouth until she feels threatened that you'll get if off her, then she gulps it down  :-\. She had a frog in her mouth a few weeks ago and I thought they were supposed to have a vile taste - not to her  ::) Given the chance she'd probably have anything she can get her paws on. Murphy has learnt his lesson from being a scavenger and only sniffs things nowadays.

Offline caro

• Donator
  • Sam
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2007, 11:50:52 PM »
My cat keeps bringing baby rats home but fortunately Fern gives them a wide berth  :angel:
Caroline & Sam RIP Fern x RIP Charlie Cat x

Offline sabrino

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 07:54:01 AM »
Well, although I am still in no doubt that Milo is a vile puppy I am abit relieved that you lot have vile doggies too!!  :005: I'm starting to like Milo again this morning although having him round is still making me itch!!!

Joanne M- thats exactly what Milo does he woolfs them down as soon as he gets wind that you're going to (try) take it.... and then goes off in search of another... euch!
Sabrina, Milo & Lupin x

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2007, 07:58:13 AM »
Last weekend we decided to have a lazy day and go up stairs in the lounge - Fern got to the top of the stairs and decided to sniff and scratch at the skirting board  :-\ :huh:

Yep looks like we got mice in the house  >:( >:( What an  :angel: for letting us know  ;)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2007, 09:32:44 AM »
sabrino that is vile!  :shades:  Yeah i don t feel like kissing my mutt when she has eaten horse poo..slugs or snails..have nt come accross dead animals yet..but she is rather partial to my daughters smelly socks...Why do they eat such rubbish..Is it a common sense departure? Generally i think she is very intelligent..but non food?what is that all about?? ph34r

To dogs, dead mice ARE food  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline ruby ruby doo

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2007, 09:34:23 AM »
Aw, yes thats bad!   ph34r  But honestly..eating a live mouse...? Dave ..you really live up to the bandit name!...You can imagine it still wriggling in his belly..would not like to see what that comes out like!I reckon they must have a super enormous throat cavity to ennable them to do this apart from a grim determination...and  as much as i have hated the three long episodes i have endured with far too clever mice ..i would prefer to stick to the old fashioned trap method...(tried Humane methods first!  and felt so guilty when i caught one at 2 a.m. i could not sleep all night..Big girly wimp!)   ..thinking of extracting a mouse from her mouth is a length too far...I can do snails...if i have to!..Time to invest in some rubber gloves for those special occasions...I adore my pup...but extracting a mouse...Pheeew! No! NO! NO! As a mum alone...I have learnt to pretend  spiders of all sizes are no bother...greeat big Bees  ...and dead birds on the lawn..(luckilly avoided the dead rat...beyond the pale! Mum was visitin!Phew! Shucks is I a coward..) Also luckilly? was visitin in time to give the rabbit full military honours blasted funeral with three kids!)(wanted mate to rapidly dispose of evidence!)  
  Which reminds me of a tale!   :005: Yesterday my friend was cleaning out her detested goldfish(pleasantly fobbed off on her by her ex for the kids..She was too nice to say no on arrival of his old bowl....how very generous!Bless her!)Anyhow one dear little fishie escaped his net and flung itself flipping cami cazi style into her Handbag!!! (do you believe her???) I laughed even more when she revealed that she and her 10 year old daughter had turned for rescue to her 6 year old daughter who cheerfully saved the day!!(sorry i digress but it was funny!!)Do you think if she had been alone she would have rescued it????She is amazingly kind hearted!!! :luv:
  To return to subject I think seriously there is a game of psychology going on here...If i pretend i don t want it i am far more likely to get it off her...As soon as she thinks she has a prize I want she is more likely to cheerfully swallow it...We have to learn to be equally sneaky to outwit these little beasts >:D
jo & ruby =)

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2007, 08:35:08 PM »
I think the worst thing Domino ate was a decomposing rabbit's head; I fully expected him to throw up all evening but mercifully it stayed down with no apparent ill effects! :lol:

The labs have eaten all manner of weird & wonderful things; mostly they tend to have cast iron digestions - the only thing Stella couldn't digest were parings from the horses' feet; they would usually make an appearance in the middle of the night on the bedroom carpet!! ::)
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2007, 09:27:58 PM »
Yep, up where Cazzie lives they're surrounded by crop fields just now which have been cut so there are mice everywhere and Sweep is having a field day (literally), she wolfs them down, as does Goose, one of her labs. Mine aren't so bothered with them but if they were to eat one I wouldn't be too fussed as it's natural to them.

Jo - Alfie loves to chew on the parings from Boston's hooves as well!
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2007, 01:10:01 AM »
Wherry isn't too bad with eating disgusting stuff, she once ate cow poo and it came back up again. She learned her lesson. As for me I really was gagging.
The disgusting little thing does have a thing for tissues though, if you blow your nose she will come bounding over, I don't even know how she learned it.  >:D

ETA: Oh, and not forgetting the maggoty pigs ears she buries then digs up
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2007, 10:53:49 AM »
Dave is doing well for just 16 weeks but Trev did worse... It was incredibly rare for him not to come back on a walk, think it happened twice in the 6 years I had him. So when he didn't come back for 20 mins about 6 months ago I was a bit suspicious. We carried on our walk and after about 15 mins he started retching... the threw up a whole squirrel (mostly intact) I was horrified it was a small one but none the less I couldn't believe the whole lot had gone in and come out in pretty much one piece. Have no idea if he caught it or found it dead was SO grim though!

There was another time he did actually make me sick though.. we'd just moved house and he was grubbing around in the area the old veg patch was at the bottom of the garden and eventually came back wreaking.. It was the most nauseating smell I have have encountered. I had to close the windows and lock him in the back garden until I could stop being ill and deal with it. The smell was truly phenomenal, I had no idea what it was until I went up there and found he'd dug up and broken and eaten a load of eggs that the previous owner had put in the bottom of the compost (no idea how long ago... probably years). I had to bath him 3 times and scrub his mouth with shampoo also.... DISGUSTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x