Author Topic: Whats best for my cocker  (Read 1945 times)

kobi

Whats best for my cocker
« on: November 26, 2007, 12:14:52 PM »
We have a 9 month old working cocker (wow what a dog) who is a bit fussy in what he eats, wont eat dry food if we put dry food with tin food he eats around the dry stuff, we have tried Webbox which for a while he loved it couldnt get it down quick but now he leaves it so the cat has it now we are trying Pedigree for pups which some times he eats other times he leaves but with this stuff when he has numbers 2,s it like turning a tap on what a mess.So anyone got some good advice please.
Also i would like to work him as he has proved to me out in the forest, so i am looking for any local cocker clubs in and around Hampshire we actually live in southampton on the edge of the new forest.
Look forward to hearing from you
                                                       regards alan (kobi's owner)

Cazzie

Re: Whats best for my cocker
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 12:57:42 PM »
Hi there

Lots of people feed various things to their dogs which include, dry food, wet meat, veg, barf and so on.

What I would do if it was me is feed a dry food only with some warm not hot water added to it and put it down at your dogs meal times, if he doesnt eat it, bin it and make a fresh lot at his next meal and again bin it if he doesnt eat it. Dogs are not fussy as a rule and know like children if there is something better on offer then they will hang out for it knowing we will give in.

I do feed various different things to my dogs but none of them are fussy and will eat anything, I would get your dog out of the fussy routine and eating his dry food before adding anything at all within his diet.  ;)

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 01:15:02 PM »
If you keep chopping and changing that can cause them to be fussy...  :-\ I would look at what YOU want him to eat, and stick to it.

Btw, where exactly are you? I'm fairly near Hythe, sounds like you could be very local to me. :blink:
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline White Bryony

• Site Member
  • Woofie 5.5.1999 - 29.4.13
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 01:35:16 PM »
Hi and welcome to COL.

I have two working cockers but I don't work them so I can't help you with that bit.

I do have a fussy eater though who won't eat dried food.  She now has a pack of NatureDiet complete wet food a day (half in the morning and half at night) and she loves it.

Lisa, Maddie and Woofie (now at the bridge) xx

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 01:47:17 PM »
I would also try and stay away from foods such as Pedigree and Bakers, Iams, Eukanaba, as they are full of additives. If you want to feed a quality dry food then James Wellbeloved, Burns, Arden Grange, The Natural Food Company, Wainwrights are all good....

You could try adding a bit of sardines or pilchards to the dry food as this always spices it up for them  :blink:

I feed BARF because my dog won't eat kibble. there are lots of threads on BARF here so if you do a search and its something that potentially interests you then pm me.

We are in Bournemouth and regularly meet up on COL meets in the NF so you'll have to come join us!  :D
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 04:52:01 PM »
I would also try and stay away from foods such as Pedigree and Bakers, Iams, Eukanaba, as they are full of additives. If you want to feed a quality dry food then James Wellbeloved, Burns, Arden Grange, The Natural Food Company, Wainwrights are all good....

Agree with the above - Pedigree, Eukanuba etc. are the dog equivalent of junk food and that's probably why your pup has such a runny stomach.

I have 3 working cockers, I work the older two and am training the youngest one. Try contacting The Gundog Club and they should be able to point you in the direction of a local training club or affiliated gundog trainer or get hold of the Kennel Club list of affiliated gundog clubs and societies. If you google both of these you should get all the relevant info on their websites. I have the KC list at home so if I get a chance tonight I'll dig it out and pm you the details of any clubs in your area  ;)
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 07:31:34 PM »
I'm no expert on doggy food but Charley is a fussy eater, and so was my last dog, Benjie. 

When Benjie was a puppy I had a dreadful time as he just wouldn't eat any dog food that I offered him.  I was feeding him with mince and chicken hearts and livers.  Frolic was being demonstrated at Asda and I was given a pack.  Surprisingly, Benjie ate it.  He thrived on it and lived to the age of sixteen.  Charley is also on Frolic and is doing well; he'll be ten in January.

Try a small packet of Frolic and see how Kobi takes to it.  Unfortunately, none of the supermarkets now stock it, for some unknown reason, but it's available from most big pet shops and Makro.  It seems to be a big seller in France where it only costs €6.35 for a 7kg bag, but £7.67 here.

Offline Annie's Mum

• Donator
  • Annie Cocker & Maisie Cav
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 10:46:29 PM »
not trying to hyjack topic but my 3 yr old is on Royal Canin ans so is Annie 4 months she loves it....is this aan ok food....
Sarah owned by Maisie & Annie

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 07:02:35 AM »
We have a 9 month old working cocker (wow what a dog) who is a bit fussy in what he eats, wont eat dry food if we put dry food with tin food he eats around the dry stuff, we have tried Webbox which for a while he loved it couldnt get it down quick but now he leaves it so the cat has it now we are trying Pedigree for pups which some times he eats other times he leaves but with this stuff when he has numbers 2,s it like turning a tap on what a mess.So anyone got some good advice please.
Also i would like to work him as he has proved to me out in the forest, so i am looking for any local cocker clubs in and around Hampshire we actually live in southampton on the edge of the new forest.
Look forward to hearing from you
                                                       regards alan (kobi's owner)

Welcome to COL Alan and Kobi  :D

No 2's - are most prob as you are changing the food too often and too quick

Personally I would pick a food and stick to it!!!!!   You should change a dogs food over a few days, but sounds to me that you need to settle on one and not mix and match, (please don't feed a tinned meat and kibble together, they digest at different rates and are both complete foods)  it'll take a few weeks to a month or maybe more for Kobi's stomach to settle after all his chopping and changing  ;) (It won't happen over night is basically what I'm saying  ;) )

I go with the rule that you feed the dog at certain times of the day (here it's @7am and again @5pm) the food stays down for 20 min then if not eaten gets lifted and binned, nothing till the next meal time

If you want to feed a quality dry food then James Wellbeloved, Burns, Arden Grange, The Natural Food Company, Wainwrights are all good....

All the above are good foods - I've used the Natural food company and that was FAB dogs loved it  :D

I think you need to find a decent food and stick with it, and that way you will hopefully settle Kobi's tum - but remember not all foods suit all dogs but you have to give a food a good chance of approx 2 - 3 months before you can make the decision that the food doesn't suit  ;)

Good luck with Kobi - Have you done basic dog training classes with him? Good luck in finding a gundog training class or a trainer - make sure who you go to uses firm but kind methods  ;)

OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH  Can we have pics of Kobi PLEASE  :D