Author Topic: Eating Burns too quickly...  (Read 1428 times)

Offline Taffy Girl

• Site Member
Eating Burns too quickly...
« on: December 20, 2007, 07:53:11 AM »
We changed Jasper over onto Burns a couple of months ago. He seems to like the food and is doing well on it.
We had no problems with the first bag of chicken and brown rice flavour.

We have recently bought a bag of the fish flavour - he wolfs it down so fast that he gets hiccups and/or makes himself sick. He was exactly the same with the pork and potato sample we had too....

I am not sure why he has started doing this and its not every meal. He shouldnt be that hungry as we are feeding according to his weight and he does get lots of treats for rewards/training in between.

Is there anything I can do to try and slow him down - I have tried giving him his food a couple of smaller portions which is ok but not all that practical long-term.....

Offline *sammy*

• Site Member
Re: Eating Burns too quickly...
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 07:59:35 AM »
sam is the same. when he was on the puppy7 chicken and brown rice he just ate to normally and wasn't to fussed. we changed to the adult fish one and he wolfs it down like he's straved. i just put it down to him enjoying it more than the chicken one :-\ :blink:

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 08:09:32 AM »
You could try soaking it slightly with warm water and leave it to stand for a few minutes before giving it to him, this usually slows them down a little bit, but if it doesn't at least it is already soft when it goes down, so he shouldn't be sick.  I think it is because they eat it so quick and then it swells quite fast in their stomachs, so if it is already soaked then it won't swell anymore.   ;)
Archie is a very fast eater, but it doesn't matter what flavour he has, he is like it with food and treats too.  ::)

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Offline Taffy Girl

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 08:24:28 AM »
Thanks for your replies .....
It is already moistened with a little warm water - he has always had his food like this as he doesnt like it completely dry.
Maybe we'll try a different flavour next.

Cazzie

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 09:02:31 AM »
Add more water to it  ;) , I have to do this for one of my labs, if its not got a reasonable amount of water in it she will choke and cough it back up, but with more water added she cant lift it the same. She swallows the biscuits whole  :005:

Offline mentalcat

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 12:42:32 PM »
Hiya,

I know a few people who put a tennis ball in the food dish. Obviously this wouldn't work if your cocker is ball obsessed, but it did seem to slow them down.

Ali

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 12:51:52 PM »
why don't you get a treat ball and put his burns in that....much slower as only a couple of bits come out at a time and it will make dinner last a fair while  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Taffy Girl

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2007, 02:51:16 PM »
why don't you get a treat ball and put his burns in that....much slower as only a couple of bits come out at a time and it will make dinner last a fair while  ;)

He only really likes his food moist - but he may enjoy it from the treat ball - I might try that with a small bowl of moist food -
Would be good for when we are at out too.

I know a few people who put a tennis ball in the food dish. Obviously this wouldn't work if your cocker is ball obsessed, but it did seem to slow them down.

My little guzzle monster would probably eat the ball as well :005:

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2007, 02:52:16 PM »
Josie bolts her food - wet or dry - and is also now exclusively on Burns.  We put a ball (or any other dog toy) in her bowl to slow her down - try it, it really works.  Mind you she is pretty disgusted, but at least it stops her botling it. :005:
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(