Author Topic: Action Camera  (Read 8105 times)

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
Action Camera
« on: December 18, 2007, 10:17:43 AM »
Hi

I need to get a new camera which can keep up with Indie.   I thought I had a decent camera but it does not take the photos quick enough, by the time I've pressed the button with a 3 second delay, shes out of the photo.   Can anyone recommend a good action shot camera which takes photos quickly and clearly.   Thanks. :D

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: Action Camera
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 10:25:58 AM »
If you want a compact camera then something from the Canon Ixus or Powershot ranges would be a good bet for you. You basically want one with a short shutter lag time and a degree of manual control so you can set the shutter speed to capture action shots, if you get a copy of Which? Digital Camera magazine or similar they have a big review section at the back which has feature lists of cameras so you can compare them.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 11:12:00 AM »
The Canon Power Shot S5 IS  meets your needs.  Review here: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_reviews/canon_s5is.html

The cheapest I have seen it is here: http://www.camerabox.co.uk/product1.asp?productid=3010

Offline Nuffi

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 05:15:44 PM »
I am also just looking around for a good camera that would take both (and nice) portrait and action shots of Jerry. So difficult. I have read a lot about the Canon S5 S1 (which apparently also shoots good videos) but on some forum I found a comment of someone complaining about not being able to take non-blurry pictures of moving objects with it  :huh:

Does anyone actually have this camera? Robbie??

Otherwise, the Canon Rebel xt (D350) or xti seems to be the way to go, but, especially with a good lense, it is sooo much more expensive!

Veronika, with Jerry & Bonnie

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 05:51:36 PM »
I have ordered one for myself today.  It has been sent out by Camerabox and I hope to have it tomorrow.  There is another member of COL who posted that she had one of these.

I have a Canon EOS 350, which is a nice camera, but I want something I can shoot with and not have to change lenses when I'm out walking.

There is something wrong with their use of the camera if the pictures are blurred.  Check the review of this on the link I have posted above.

Offline Nuffi

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 06:32:05 PM »
Hmmm, yes, I just read the full review and that person may indeed have had it in the wrong mode. In any event, I would really love to hear some more from you, Robbie, once you have received the camera, if you don't mind? Reading tons of reviews (and I have) is good but nothing beats the direct experience from a "real"  :shades: person  :D  I am getting very close to buying the S5, though.

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 07:14:39 PM »
I'll take some pictures with it and post them on here as soon as I receive it.

The Canon Rebel is the American designation of the EOS 350.  Are you in the US?  I understand that cameras are much cheaper over there.

Offline Nuffi

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 07:28:31 PM »
Yes, I am in the US.

I just saw the S5 on the internet for $260 or so (incl. shipping costs), in stores it is between $330 and $399. Is that much cheaper than in the UK?

The Rebel xti is around $750  ph34r (kit with two lenses - you're right, that's probably a lot to carry around...)

Anyway, thanks so much, I look forward to your photos  :D!

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 09:31:09 PM »
Thanks Nicola and Robbie.

Robbie, do you know if its easy to use i.e. aim and shoot or would there be a lot of fiddling with the camera.   As I won't get one now before Christmas due to posting, I will wait until Boxing Day in the hope that it may be reduced in the online sales, probably not but who knows.    Can't wait to see if your pictures with it, hopefully yours will arrive before next week when I order one.

Thanks anyway, I didn't have a clue which would be the best camera and this does seem very good.   :D

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 09:56:15 PM »
Yes, you can set it to fully automatic so that you can just point and shoot.  It also has automatic focusing.

If you order from Camerabox before 3.00pm tomorrow it should arrive before Christmas.  I can't see it selling below this price -£214 - after Christmas.

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 09:58:47 PM »
Yes, I am in the US.

I just saw the S5 on the internet for $260 or so (incl. shipping costs), in stores it is between $330 and $399. Is that much cheaper than in the UK?

The Rebel xti is around $750  ph34r (kit with two lenses - you're right, that's probably a lot to carry around...)

Anyway, thanks so much, I look forward to your photos  :D!

The cheapest that I've seen it for is £214 - that's equivalent to about $428.

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2007, 03:30:12 PM »
My camera arrived this morning.  Not from Camerabox, who were less than helpful and messed up the delivery, so I cancelled it yesterday as I had no idea when it would arrive.  Ordered late yesterday afternoon from Amazon.co.uk - extra £20 - and it arrived this morning.

I've taken a few of Charley using flash on full auto - you don't need to do anything else - just point and shoot.  It has a nice solid feel to it and is well constructed.
Software is included on a cd and is easy to install.  Three manuals are provided - Camera User Guide; Direct Print User Guide; and Software Starter Guide.  These contain all of the information you need for using your camera, printing and showing your movies. 

Four AA type alkaline batteries are included, shoulder strap, connecting leads for pc and tv - if you want to display your pictures on there -, and a 32 mb SD card.

It is cheaper to purchase NiMh rechargeable batteries and a charger if you intend to take lots of pictures.  A bigger memory card is a necessity also.  At least 512MB.  You can get these quite cheaply now.

These pictures do not show the Canon S5 IS at its best.  I'll take some outdoor shots when we have some brighter weather.

Offline Nuffi

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2007, 03:47:46 PM »
Hey, these are not bad at all! Have to admit I couldn't wait much longer either and ordered mine, too, last night, also from amazon.com. $319, which was above the price of that other website but I did some due diligence on them and found some angry reviews...And amazon even offered free 1-day shipping  :D

Will a high speed memory card be necessary? I read that somewhere...

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2007, 04:25:39 PM »
If you want to take pictures in quick succession then a high speed memory card is best.

Where those reviews about Camerabox?

Offline Nuffi

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2007, 04:54:16 PM »
No, a place called 86th Street Photo and Video. Apparently, they lure you in with a price of 25% below market price, but then you have to reconfirm your order by phone. They get very aggressive on the phone to try to up-sell you on accessories, and if you don't buy anything else, your order suddenly gets "backordered" by 2-3 weeks. I'm so glad that for once I did some research before ordering...It's such a scam, they had a five star rating on lowpricedigital.com but when you read the "reviews" they are all so fake, it's ridiculous. Well, caveat emptor, as always.