Author Topic: Why Ardern Grange?  (Read 9349 times)

Offline mfarrar

• Site Member
Why Ardern Grange?
« on: February 25, 2008, 11:02:28 AM »
Hi,

I pick up my puppy in about 4 weeks, he will start on James Well beloved because thats what the breeder uses but I was thinking of changing him to Ardern Grange because that is what a lot of people on here use.

What I was wondering is why is Ardern Grange considered one of the best?

I am concerned about dog food in general, my parents fed both theirs on hills science diet as recommended from a vet but now that is regarded as one of the bad ones. Their first dog lived till ten and the current one I think will be lucky to make it to ten. A lot of other people I know with dogs have lost them early to things like cancer, all fed on commercial food. Then I look at a friend of mums who fed her dog chicken and rice everyday and it lived till 16.

I have been thinking a lot about the BARF diet but I have very little freezer space and it would possibly be a problem with daycare and going away places.

Offline debsallen

• Limited Member
Re: Why Ardern Grange?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 11:05:07 AM »
Afraid no advice, but I am sure someone will come along and help real soon

But good luck with your new puppy, my Barney is on JWB and it is also very recommended, and I think a lot on here also feed it to thiers

Everyone has different opinions, but I am sure you will get lots of different advice

Offline crunchie

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 11:55:46 AM »
Pringle has been on Arden Grange for about 18 months now and is really thriving on it.  When she was a puppy she had Burns, which is also another good food, but went off of it so she went on to Arden Grange.

I keep her on it because she seems to really like it, is in really good health with it, you can get different flavours to give them a bit of variety, she always does really nice firm poos and I also like the company as they are cruelty free and don't test their food on animals, but that is just something that is personally important to me  :D
Ann and Pringle

Cazzie

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 12:09:53 PM »
Imo I would rate James well beloved higher than Arden grange and if it was me Id keep him on that  ;)

Offline mfarrar

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 12:12:49 PM »
Is the quality of the meat they use good? I have heard about all sorts of dodgy meat used in some food

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 12:23:37 PM »
Indie was on Arden Grange as she was on that from the breeders, she stopped eating it but my cat loves it  :shades:so I changed to James Wellbeloved and she eats this at a push.   She doesn't seem keen on this now either.   When I've run out, I am tempted to look into the BARF diet as recommended by my trainer but have not really looked into it yet but will do soon as she doesn't seem to enjoy any meals and just begs us for our food (which she doesn't get).   :-\  Think I've got a fussy one. 

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 12:28:28 PM »
Imo I would rate James well beloved higher than Arden grange and if it was me Id keep him on that  ;)

A lot of people (including myself) switched from James Wellbeloved to Arden Grange because of the way that JW keep dogs permanantly caged to conduct tests and trials with their food.  >:(

If you do a search on here and put in 'Wellbeloved, testing' it will show a lot of threads already covering this subject

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 12:34:10 PM »

A lot of people (including myself) switched from James Wellbeloved to Arden Grange because of the way that JW keep dogs permanantly caged to conduct tests and trials with their food.  >:(

If you do a search on here and put in 'Wellbeloved, testing' it will show a lot of threads already covering this subject

Oh dear, I always do the wrong thing  >:(

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 12:37:37 PM »

Oh dear, I always do the wrong thing  >:(

If you are not aware then you can't be doing wrong  ;)

Offline debsallen

• Limited Member
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 12:45:41 PM »

see this interestes me as not so long ago I posted on here asking about what food to give my dog as I had him on Iams and was told about the awful stories with them and was told JWB was a good one, so, there I was thinking that I was moving to better company..........now I read this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I give up   ph34r  >:(

Cazzie

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 12:50:29 PM »

see this interestes me as not so long ago I posted on here asking about what food to give my dog as I had him on Iams and was told about the awful stories with them and was told JWB was a good one, so, there I was thinking that I was moving to better company..........now I read this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I give up   ph34r  >:(

If you look back at the Wellbeloved testing previous postings there is alot of different advice im not surprised people get confused.  :-\ I seriously dont know either what to believe with regards to foods it is indeed a mine field  :-\

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 12:52:30 PM »
As far as I know, JWB themselves don't use animals; they used to be a small independent company and sold out to a multi-national  - it is the parent company (JWB are owned by  Mars, the same company that own Pedigree).

However, there are companies that don't have any links to this practice...... ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline *Adele*

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 12:56:49 PM »
Chloe has Arden Grange and always has done as that's what her breeders have used for a considerable amount of years. She really seems to thrive on it, doesn't always eat all of it straight away and leaves a trail behind her whilst eating but we're more than happy with it!  :lol2:

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2008, 01:01:12 PM »

But they don't Michele ;) It's a myth that gets constantly promoted on forums but isn't actually true. JW do not do any tests apart from palatability tests on dogs in their own homes. The problem some people have is that JW is owned by Crown Pet Foods and Mars have a majority holding in Crown Pet Foods. Mars also owns Pedigree where some testing is done which is why some people boycott JW even though this food is not tested on caged animals(they presumably also boycott all other Mars products like chocolate bars & pasta sauces etc).

Arden Grange & James Wellbeloved are both quality brands so it's really a case of which food suits your dog the best rather than one being better than the other. We have just put our old girl on JW Senior and it's really suiting her whereas Arden Grange Senior made her very windy :005:

Jane

Offline mfarrar

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2008, 01:04:11 PM »
Have been doing some reading and it sounds like the company that owns JWB does animal testing so I will definately change the food. How long would I have to keep feeding the puppy JWB before I can start introducing a new one?