Author Topic: For those that feed once a day...  (Read 1571 times)

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
For those that feed once a day...
« on: February 27, 2008, 02:53:54 PM »
Sorry if there is already a post about this, I've had a look and can't see anything..

For those of you that feed your dogs once a day, what age did you start doing this from?

Thanks
Hannah xx

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Cazzie

Re: For those that feed once a day...
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 10:38:14 PM »
Sorry if there is already a post about this, I've had a look and can't see anything..

For those of you that feed your dogs once a day, what age did you start doing this from?

Thanks
Hannah xx

Over 12 months, but tbh I have fed just once a day, yes its ok, but better with 2 meals if poss  :D :luv:

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 09:27:13 AM »

Thanks
Hannah xx

Over 12 months, but tbh I have fed just once a day, yes its ok, but better with 2 meals if poss  :D :luv:

Thanks Cazzie, I'm being conflicting advice by different trainers etc... I always fed my last dog once a day, my Weim was getting fed twice and is now on one after it was suggested to me by a trainer and I don't know what to do with Dave??? Eeeeek! He currently has a small morning meal and a large evening meal.. are there health reasons for feeding twice a day - I did hear that the chances of bloat are reduced if fed twice - but then I've also been told dogs digestive systems are designed to eat a large single meal infrequently.... ???  :huh: :-\

Very confusing.....

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Cazzie

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 09:46:05 AM »
I can only compare with my dogs. Otter is on 525 grams of food, now thats alot so till his quantiy is lowered to suit his age/weight etc I will keep him on 4 meals. All the rest are on vaious amounts and again is rather alot to feed at once IMO and also id rather have 2 meals a day than just the one  :005: :005:

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 09:48:25 AM »
i feed one a day, and started doing so at about 12/14 months. :D (basically for my convenience ph34r and because Jarvis was getting porky, i find it easier to monitor his intake with one meal.)
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline LouiseAS

• Inactive
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 09:59:35 AM »
I find Jakey is a nightmare on only 1 meal a day so he has 2 small meals.  Meg will often only ever eat 1 meal although breakfast is put down for her she seems to prefer to eat in the evening.  Little Lenny has 2 meals a day as I tried him on 1 but he gobbles his food down so quick he was getting hiccups and terrible wind  :005:

Louise & my beautiful girl Meg xx

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 03:22:34 PM »
Weims are notorious for bloat, so I would keep her on 2 meals per day  ;)
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Potter

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 02:43:41 PM »
Hi Hannah

Nice to know I'm not the only one with this tricky problem!    >:( 

I've just this week reduced Daisy from 3 meals to 2.  She is really not interested in breakfast, so I've cut it out altogether.  I got fed up with throwing away beautifully made and presented breakfasts!   :005:  She has a meal at lunch time (Burns with a sprinkling of meat - could be chicken, lamb, steak or whatever I have in the fridge) and then another  meal in the early evening, say 7.30 - 8.30pm.  Again, same as lunch.  But inbetween all this, as we have 3 walks a day with training, she's getting training treats - could be chopped chicken breast, or the packaged variety - so she's not going to starve.  I've also just this week stopped mixing the Burns with tepid water and letting it soak.  Now it's just out of the bag, dry.

Daisy is quite funny with her food.  She'll go for weeks and weeks being no problem at all, wolfing it down, and then for no apparent reason, she turns her nose up at it.  And I desperately try to keep it interesting and varied.....  :D

I was advised to keep it at 2 meals a day, but it's whatever suits the dog and the owner really.  I too have heard about bloat in Weims, but I have had no experience personally.

Best wishes

Kay
-x-

Offline Bev_M

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 04:12:39 PM »
I have always fed 2 meals a day, however Hamish does not seem interested in his breakfast at all, in fact he will only really eat his tea about 4pm, so like it or not seems I have a dog that will only eat once a day

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 09:48:33 PM »
Weims are notorious for bloat, so I would keep her on 2 meals per day  ;)
- that was my thinking. I'd definately keep her on two meals a day.

Mine are all on two meals (well, Rio is still on three as she's only a baby). I don't think they'd be able to last on one meal a day - they're such gready dogs!!  :005:

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2008, 09:57:22 PM »
Fern lost interest in her morning food early on. It had shrunk to about a tablespoonful by the time she was about eight months so I just cut it out, although she always had a morning biscuit. I feed her after her afternoon walk in the early evening. She is my sixth dog and have only ever fed once a day when they are adult.
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline bev6951

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2008, 10:10:21 PM »
I started feeding wilson one meal a day just before xmas (he was 13mths) but since getting mylee 4 wks ago he would stare at her eating breakfast and give me those cocker 'I am starvin mummy' eyes so I now give him a small token 'your'e not being left out' breakfast and then a good meal at tea time  :D
Bev, Wilson & Mylee xxx

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2008, 10:10:53 PM »
I've fed once a day in the past - but tbh I think greedy chops is happier since I put him on two feeds (Jock ) - still doesn't stop the scanvanger in him tho  ::)